Contacted Purolator On Complete Spec- PureOne

Status
Not open for further replies.
I awaiting and email on the complete specs on the PureOne Filter. I'm not interested in the 20 micron capturing which is very good or the best in the business. I want to know if they have data from 5 to 15 Micron, this is the specs that create the most engine wear, as I have read this from numerous sources, yet know real data on that either( So lets not get into conversation about that, lol), as most decent filters capture 20 Micron particles fairly well. I'm switching from a Mobil 1 EP due to running only 6,000 miles on oil changes and I think it might be overkill, as I'm not getting the full benefit out of the Mobil 1 EP Filter, in addition not interested in pulling a filter off and than re-installing it again, but it has crossed my mind, LOL!

Last edited:
You could always use the filter twice WITHOUT dumping it.

I'm curious to see whether you get a response back - when I clicked on this thread I was hoping you were posting the response, not that you'd emailed them...

They said engineering dept is going to contact me, we shall see, sorry about that. When I get it I will post: PureOne Oil Specs Divulged. I was also thinking about just leaving the Mobil 1 Filter on and draining the oil, what is 8 Oz of oils out of 6 qts anyways.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Topo
I awaiting and email on the complete specs on the PureOne Filter. I'm not interested in the 20 micron capturing which is very good or the best in the business. I want to know if they have data from 5 to 15 Micro ...

A while ago (year plus?), this same data was asked by a member and posted in one of the long PureOne filter threads. Might try searching for that data here to see if it matches what they say again.

If I recall correctly, the PureOne was pretty darn good in the 5 to 15 micron range too.

BTW - my theory is if a filter captures 99.9 @ 20 microns then it will also catch more of the 5 to 15 micron partials than a filter rated at say 95% @ 20 microns. Based on this, one could use the 'standard' xx.x% @ 20 microns rating used by most manufacturers to get a feel for overall efficiency throughout the particle size spectrum.

I found this data somewhere on here or someplace else. I just didn't want to post it unless I had a legit email from Purolator themselves. But I will post what I found and then re-post the data they give me.

PureONE's ISO 4548-12 for 5 micron is 50%, 10 micron is 92.8%, 15 micron is 99.2%, and 20 micron is 99.9%

Last edited:
I found this data somewhere on here or someplace else. I just didn't want to post it unless I had a legit email from Purolator themselves. But I will post what I found and then re-post the data they give me.

PureONE's ISO 4548-12 for 5 micron is 50%, 10 micron is 92.8%, 15 micron is 99.2%, and 20 micron is 99.9%

The data I was referring to was based on an email from Purolator Engineering Dept to a member here ... so I would think it was legitimate data.

Not sure if it was the data you posted ... but looks similar. You have the thread you got that data from ... if so, link it up.

I'd run the M1 for 2 OCI's. Those M1 filters should hold up well past 10k miles. Just keep it on when you drain the oil. IMO...It will do fine if your engine is clean and free of sludge.

BTW - my theory is if a filter captures 99.9 @ 20 microns then it will also catch more of the 5 to 15 micron partials than a filter rated at say 95% @ 20 microns. Based on this, one could use the 'standard' xx.x% @ 20 microns rating used by most manufacturers to get a feel for overall efficiency throughout the particle size spectrum.[/quote]

I totally agree with your theory, it really isn't a theory it's simple math. I'm glad we are on the same page.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I'd run the M1 for 2 OCI's. Those M1 filters should hold up well past 10k miles. Just keep it on when you drain the oil. IMO...It will do fine if your engine is clean and free of sludge.

Yah I'm thinking about leaving it on to do the work it was intended to do, it probably starting to get more efficient at 6,000 miles anyways. I would suspect my Car is in good shape engine why's since I use Mobil 1 Syn. Most of the time, along with some Castrol Edge coming up. You guy's are making me feel good about leaving the filter on, like I said what is 8 oz of used oil to a 6qt sump system. That filter ends up being about a $6.50 filter for me, now we are very competively priced against PureOne Filter in addition I have to do less work..LOL! But I still think PureOne is a very fine filter for 6,000 OCI and I already bought one, I will just put it on the shelf for awhile, it will be their when I need it, along with a Napa Platinum I have sitting on my shelf. How long do you think A Napa Platinum filter would last.

Last edited:

BTW - my theory is if a filter captures 99.9 @ 20 microns then it will also catch more of the 5 to 15 micron partials than a filter rated at say 95% @ 20 microns. Based on this, one could use the 'standard' xx.x% @ 20 microns rating used by most manufacturers to get a feel for overall efficiency throughout the particle size spectrum.

I totally agree with your theory, it really isn't a theory it's simple math. I'm glad we are on the same page.[/quote]

Not necessarily.
A colander will catch 99%+ of the pasta, but it won't catch any 20 micron particles.
Good filter efficiency at 20 microns does not necessarily translate to good filter effciency at smaller particle sizes.
I wonder whether it really matters?
As long as the oil filter catches all of the particles too large to pass through the bearings without harm, and does so for as long as you use it, isn't it doing the job it's designed to do?

You may want to read this thread:

Convince me why I should use a high-quality filter

57.gif

Last edited:
As far as Premium Filters go......I've got a nice stash of Mobil 1, EP, Bosch Distance Plus, K&N, Nappa Gold and Purolator P1 that were picked up on sale and with rebates.

Otherwise....I'd just use Purolator Classic up to 7K miles which are usually on sale at Kmart.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Not necessarily.
A colander will catch 99%+ of the pasta, but it won't catch any 20 micron particles.
Good filter efficiency at 20 microns does not necessarily translate to good filter effciency at smaller particle sizes.

I'd bet a filter rated 99.9% @ 20 microns efficiency will filter out more particles that are less than 20 micron than a filter that is rated 90% @ 20 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back