Does high TBN mean high/best quality oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like top notch synths always have the highest TBN`s. Does higher TBN in motor oils mean higher quality? Does "base number" mean more base oil?

Many will say that TBN retention is what's important as some oils with a lower starting TBN will retain that number for a long time whereas others with a high starting TBN will quickly drop like a stone...

That said, i use oils with a high starting TBN.

Higher TBN does not mean more base oil.

You can think of TBN as the ability to neutralize acids. The higher the TBN the more acid that can be neutralized. In practice, the higher the TBN the longer amount of time the oil can neutralize acids.

No. The lower the TBN, all else equal, the BETTER the AW protection over the OCI intent. DP competes with AW. The best formulations will get around this. Many premium syn have low starting TBN but the base oil is stable and dont require high DP %.

+1 IMO....Some oils are great base stock oils and don't need a lot of additives to bolster their quality for a OCI. This can be seen in some Euro Oils and Mid Saps oils which start out with a lower TBN, than others in the same class, but they retain their quality and TBN for a longer period.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No. The lower the TBN, all else equal, the BETTER the AW protection over the OCI intent. DP competes with AW. The best formulations will get around this. Many premium syn have low starting TBN but the base oil is stable and dont require high DP %.

TBN is just one thing of many I would use to evaluate an oil. I would not jump at an oil merely because it has an ultra-high starting TBN (like GC's 12.2 or whatever), nor would I discount something with a more marginal one (like SynPower's 7.7).

Some oils need high TBN to combat their own chemistry (think ester-heavy formulas like Redline, 300V, RLI, etc).

Last edited:
What`s RP`s Synerlec 20W50 compared to M1`s 10W40HM? Would starting TBN have anything to do with RP`s shearing down and M1 not shearing down (according to my UOA`s of both)?

Last edited:
To a chemist, "base" means the opposite of acid. To the rest of us, "base" means the foundation or starting point. In Total Base Number we are talking about the chemical base, or alkali, condition to neutralize acid. In Base Oil we are talking the 75 or 80% foundation oil to which the additive package is added.

The TBN of new oil indicates a few things, but not a deciding factor. The quality (cost) of the components that create the TBN is more important. The remaining TBN of the oil after it has a lot of miles on it is more important than the starting TBN. Bottom line---buy an oil with an excellent track record, not one with any certain item on its spec sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back