Speculations about viscosity I need input on.

1. Isn't a higher viscosity oil more likely to cling to metal surfaces for longer periods as a variable besides base oil polarity and metal coating? and with that in mind, wouldn't a higher viscosity but also mineral based be more appropriate for S/S or frequent warm-starts in particular? Let's set low temperature performance aside.

2. Is higher viscosity oils relatively prone to sludge formation? My theory is that higher viscosity oils are capable of higher heat absorbtion capacity while exhibiting slower heat dissipation rate. Would that be more inviting for sludge formation in thermaly stressed applications either by sustained high oil temperature erratic, or sharp fluctuations in oil temperature regardless of which base oils and additives are used. Would viscosity alone be a variable in sludge formation tendency?

3. Since higher viscosity oils are longer-chain molecules they are exposing a wider surface for oxidation and consequently, faster degradation than a lower viscosity oil would experience, every thing else being constant?

1. Isn't a higher viscosity oil more likely to cling to metal surfaces for longer periods as a variable besides base oil polarity and metal coating? and with that in mind, wouldn't a higher viscosity but also mineral based be more appropriate for S/S or frequent warm-starts in particular? Let's set low temperature performance aside.

2. Is higher viscosity oils relatively prone to sludge formation? My theory is that higher viscosity oils are capable of higher heat absorbtion capacity while exhibiting slower heat dissipation rate. Would that be more inviting for sludge formation in thermaly stressed applications either by sustained high oil temperature erratic, or sharp fluctuations in oil temperature regardless of which base oils and additives are used. Would viscosity alone be a variable in sludge formation tendency?

3. Since higher viscosity oils are longer-chain molecules they are exposing a wider surface for oxidation and consequently, faster degradation than a lower viscosity oil would experience, every thing else being constant?
1) No. You're mixing specific heats and thermal conductivities.

2,3) No. Viscosity alone is not a factor in sludge formation.

Back