Low idle RPM when slowing to a stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually it idles when warm 750 but when I take it out of gear half the time it goes to 500 for 1-2sec and shakes before climbing to 750.

'09 Toyota Vibe (lol) 25k mi - 1.8L - 5spd MT

only thing I can think of since it started 25k miles in is its DFCO related.

Last edited:
Check for dirty connections - a dirty connection at the ICV was doing it to me, I guess causing the valve to actuate differently since the voltage it saw wasn't the same as the voltage at the ecu due to dirt.

Of course my car is a 91, yours is an 09. Take it to toyota and let them troubleshoot.

Originally Posted By: chad8
dirty or faulty iac or tps. Have you changed your air filter lately?

Yes air filter was changed in October and this started occouring in July.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Check for dirty connections - a dirty connection at the ICV was doing it to me, I guess causing the valve to actuate differently since the voltage it saw wasn't the same as the voltage at the ecu due to dirt.

Of course my car is a 91, yours is an 09. Take it to toyota and let them troubleshoot.

I havent checked the idle control valve, I dont know where it is, my car is throttle by wire.

Every few months I put a bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus or Fuel Injector Cleaner.

I look at the condition once I find the locations of:

Throttle Position Sensor ( TPS )

Idle Air Control Valve ( IAC )

Idle Control Valve ( ICV )

Originally Posted By: zoomie

Don't waste your time. Being throttle-by-wire (as you pointed out), your engine doesn't have an IAC or ICV and the TPS (actually, there are two of them) is integrated as part of the throttle actuator assembly.

You may want to just pop the intake tube off and give the throttle body a quick cleaning. A quick wipe of both sides of the blade and the throttle bore with a rag and some throttle plate and intake cleaner should do the trick. If you find it especially dirty, some additional elbow grease may be required. At only 25K miles, I don't think it will be too bad.

2009 w/ 29K miles should still be under warranty, correct? If so, I'd at least make a visit to the dealership to have them give it a once-over. They may not find anything (but hey, maybe they do), but at least you'll have a documented complaint if it becomes worse in the future. I know there aren't any Pontiac dealers left, but I would do my best to look for a store that at one time sold and serviced Pontiacs, like a Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealer that just became a Buick/GMC store.

I contacted GM warranty as it has a few months new left on it, they'd like me to take it to a dealership and have a shop foreman go for a test drive, I went to one today but turned around becaise it was behaving.

By other threads on the net I know of 3-4 others encountering this problem.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Don't waste your time. Being throttle-by-wire (as you pointed out), your engine doesn't have an IAC or ICV and the TPS (actually, there are two of them) is integrated as part of the throttle actuator assembly.

You may want to just pop the intake tube off and give the throttle body a quick cleaning. A quick wipe of both sides of the blade and the throttle bore with a rag and some throttle plate and intake cleaner should do the trick. If you find it especially dirty, some additional elbow grease may be required. At only 25K miles, I don't think it will be too bad.

2009 w/ 29K miles should still be under warranty, correct? If so, I'd at least make a visit to the dealership to have them give it a once-over. They may not find anything (but hey, maybe they do), but at least you'll have a documented complaint if it becomes worse in the future. I know there aren't any Pontiac dealers left, but I would do my best to look for a store that at one time sold and serviced Pontiacs, like a Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealer that just became a Buick/GMC store.

In my case it wasnt a dirty ICV, but rather a dirty (higher-resistance) connection to the ICV.

IMO this could be the case and the OP never know it. Does the throttle open all the way, the right way, all the time? under acceleration, a little extra pedal, which may be unnoticable, might compensate. it is only thorugh issues like this that it can be determined that positions arent correct.

Just thinking out loud... Im sure those throttle positions are still adjusted by some type of a variable voltage signal... DBW or not.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
Does this vehicle have an external fuel filter? When was the last time it was changed?

No external, has something in the tank not accessible.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In my case it wasnt a dirty ICV, but rather a dirty (higher-resistance) connection to the ICV.

IMO this could be the case and the OP never know it. Does the throttle open all the way, the right way, all the time? under acceleration, a little extra pedal, which may be unnoticable, might compensate. it is only thorugh issues like this that it can be determined that positions arent correct.

Just thinking out loud... Im sure those throttle positions are still adjusted by some type of a variable voltage signal... DBW or not.

This is the only issue I'm encountering, throttle response has always been good.

The car is almost stalling, I wonder if its Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO) related as in the fuel stops flowing to the injectors then just before it stalls flow is restored.

I should have mentioned 2 things in the OP:

- this doesnt occur at every stop

- I know of at least 5 other people who have reported this same fault (same engine, but maybe in a Corolla or Matrix etc.)

- I've visually inspected the Throttle Body, it is clean, the throttle plate was open a hair and I took a cotton swab and wiped the gap (ie area behind the plate) and it came up dry and black.

Last edited:
Does this car have a PCV valve? If that is sticking half the time it can drive a learned idle behavior nuts.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Does this car have a PCV valve? If that is sticking half the time it can drive a learned idle behavior nuts.

I sure it has one, I'd be blown away if the PCV passageways were anything other than ideal, but then again Murphy's always wants in,
I must check it now...

Usually it idles when warm 750 but when I take it out of gear half the time it goes to 500 for 1-2sec and shakes before climbing to 750.

'09 Toyota Vibe (lol) 25k mi - 1.8L - 5spd MT

only thing I can think of since it started 25k miles in is its DFCO related.

When I slow to a stop, and put the car in neutral, my RPMs go very low - they go to zero and a green light flashes on the dashboard. But when Im ready to go again and put the car back in gear, the motor instantaneously restarts on its own and off I go on my merry way. So I have what you're dealing with, except on a more exaggerated scale!

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
When I slow to a stop, and put the car in neutral, my RPMs go very low - they go to zero and a green light flashes on the dashboard. But when Im ready to go again and put the car back in gear, the motor instantaneously restarts on its own and off I go on my merry way. So I have what you're dealing with, except on a more exaggerated scale!

What kind of car Sludger?

Quote:
Service Bulletin Number : TSB-0124-11

Year : 2011
Make : TOYOTA
Model : COROLLA

TOYOTA: AS A RESULT OF FUEL CUT LOGIC, SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT ONE OR BOTH CONDITIONS LISTED-ENGINE RPM DECREASE (300-700 RPM) WHILE CRUISING AT 40 MPH; RELEASING ACCELERATOR PEDAL AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, SLIGHT DELAYED/REDUCED ENGINE BRAKING. *PE

So there is DFCO problems, not the same issue but 300RPM? Hmm...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back