anybody have trouble following movie plots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure do.If there's more than a handfull of characters or more than a simple plot.My girlfriend brought over 'The matrix' tonight. She really liked it. I didn't get it from the beginning. And if I don't understand the plot I would rather not watch it any more. After an hr of confusion. Out came my cell phone and a few games of Angry birds. Anybody else have this problem?

There are some movies that I have a hard time following. But as I've gotten older over the years I can usually guess the way things are going to happen. But then again I'm wrong just as well as I'm right......

I watch the BBC dramas that PBS shows. Most of them are pretty well done, but sometimes I can't figure what the characters are saying because of some of the British accents. Some of them are so bad I just switch to another channel.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I sure do.If there's more than a handfull of characters or more than a simple plot.My girlfriend brought over 'The matrix' tonight. She really liked it. I didn't get it from the beginning. And if I don't understand the plot I would rather not watch it any more. After an hr of confusion. Out came my cell phone and a few games of Angry birds. Anybody else have this problem?

I have this problem because I don't like sci fi movies or books. AT ALL. I don't know anything about Star Trek, Star Wars, The Matrix etc. Comedy movies however I can follow the most complicated plots! Like Get shorty; I love that movie and it's hilarious. Or The Big Lebowski.

I could barely under
Originally Posted By: david_ES2
I love subtitles.

I needed them for movies like the latest version of True Grit. I could barely understand what some of the characters were saying.

I think my biggest problem is too many characters. They all wear black and look the same. Had to ask my gf if that was a good or bad guy that just got killed etc.

I do understand Duel, Smokey and the Bandit, Forest gump and the Twilight Zone though.

The Matrix? I watched it the first time and didn't have a clue. Months later I watched it again and still don't have a clue. There won't be a third.

I've noticed lately that movies aren't really clear with the plot as they used to be. They're very nebulous and only "suggest" what is going on. What you need to know gets clearer toward the end of the movie.

Odd - I was just commenting to the wife how simplistic movies are. The Matrix isn't so bad, the suggestion to check IMDB is a good one.

Quote:
Thomas A. Anderson is a man living two lives. By day he is an average computer programmer and by night a hacker known as Neo. Neo has always questioned his reality, but the truth is far beyond his imagination. Neo finds himself targeted by the police when he is contacted by Morpheus, a legendary computer hacker branded a terrorist by the government. Morpheus awakens Neo to the real world, a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines that live off of the humans' body heat and electrochemical energy and who imprison their minds within an artificial reality known as the Matrix. As a rebel against the machines, Neo must return to the Matrix and confront the agents: super-powerful computer programs devoted to snuffing out Neo and the entire human rebellion.

Although whomever wrote the "synopsis" should be shot.

Are you saying Reeves looks like Fishburne?
crackmeup2.gif

Good gawd, spare me the two latest comedies......

I sure do.If there's more than a handfull of characters or more than a simple plot.My girlfriend brought over 'The matrix' tonight. She really liked it. I didn't get it from the beginning.

You didn't understand the Matrix?

If your Girlfriend likes "The Matrix", she might like and understand "Catch-22."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065528/

Last edited:

Curious!... How old are you John?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I've noticed lately that movies aren't really clear with the plot as they used to be. They're very nebulous and only "suggest" what is going on. What you need to know gets clearer toward the end of the movie.

Some plots are symbolism or symbolic of a certain aspect of life. The Matrix could have been better, but it strived to be politically correct.

I have had trouble with the last couple of 'Batman' and 'James Bond' films. The plots of those gets really, really confusing.

Most I can follow pretty well, but yeah...glad you brough that up - most people think you're stupid if you can't follow films, but some are hard!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Stay away from "Incpetion" and other similar genre!

Haha... I was going to say the same thing. I actually need to watch it once more because I know I didn't follow everything.

When I first watched matrix it was hard for me to understand, not because of a complicated plot but because like in A LOT OF MOVIES they are WHISPERING. It's like before you know it a whole conversation with multiple people has went on and you didn't get but a few snips of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back