Any benefit using Redline 0w-30 vs. Redline 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I own a 2005 Mazda 3 2.3. Just the sedan, non turbo...

I live in the great state of Michigan and I will probably be changing the oil in roughly 1,300 miles. With this new oil change, I will probably see the lowest temperatures possibly to approx 5 degrees F.

Im using Redline 5w-20 right now, and would there be any benefit of using a 0W? Like redline 0w-30? Or is that too thick? I put on about 15k a year going to school and back.(Does recommend 5w-20 btw)

I only go WOT only once everyday when passing somebody..In no means do I track the car, just for some reason it feels good to run Redline. lol
cool.gif

Any suggestions would be helpful. I posted the picture of my car so you can see what car im talking about
wink.gif

mazdald.jpg
[/quote]

Last edited:
Hey Josh good looking ride! With the colder weather coming the 0w-20 will do you well. Check into (PP) Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Syntec, they are lot less expensive than Redline and just as good for what you are using it for, since you do not have a Turbo and it is a daily driver. Good Luck Rick

Ever consider Renewable Lube's oils? A good alternative to Redline.

Redline 0w20 is basically a light 30, FYI. I think it would serve you well.

I would recommend Redline's 0W-20.
One of the members here (Caterham)had this tested, and it came back as having a viscosity of 3.0 @150 Degrees C....vs the stated 2.7.
The minimum for a 30 is 2.9 @ 150 C, so this oil should be a great fit for your vehicle.
The only down side is that the 0W-xx oils from Redline cost about 50 cents more than the 5W-xx.
My opinion is that it is worth the extra 50 cents.
The 0W-20 has a viscosity index of 166 vs a viscosity index of 145 for the 5W-20.
A higher number is better for the viscosity index.....which is a measurment of the resistance of the oil to thicken as it cools from operating temperature in the vehicle.

Both the 0W-20 and 5W-20 oiles have no viscosity index improvers to meet the specifications.
Their 0W-30 has a small amount of viscosity index improvers, but not much, and I'm sure that they are of high quality.....and not a negative in any way.

The 0W-30 from redline is also a great oil...with a viscosity index of 183....
The viscosity of the 0W-30 @ 150 Degrees C is 3.2 as stated by Redline.

The CCS viscosity (poise) is listed as 55 @ -35 Degrees C for the 0W-20 vs 56 for the 0W-30, so there is very little difference between these 2 oils at that specification.

I was thinking that, the 0W-20, as dparm stated, is a light 30 weight oil, so it would be more inline with what is called for by the vehicle manufacturer.

Nice Mazda, I always liked that generation...

You can keep using Redline if you want, but it is unnecessary for how you drive and your vehicle.

I would try out Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 next oci or M1 AFE 0w20, both are way cheaper than Redline, and will still provide top quality protection for your Mazda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: merdog
Check into (PP) Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Syntec, they are lot less expensive than Redline and just as good for what you are using it for, since you do not have a Turbo and it is a daily driver.

This ^^^ Save your money, the more expensive oil isn't doing anything for you. Nice looking car
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
How about Redline 0W20?
Originally Posted By: dparm
Ever consider Renewable Lube's oils? A good alternative to Redline.

Redline 0w20 is basically a light 30, FYI. I think it would serve you well.

These were my first thoughts. +1 and +2.

CATERHAM has information why the RL 5W-20 grade is "stupid." He sure talked me out of putting it in my cars, the RL 5W-20.

I summon CATERHAM.

If you go with the RL, I'd use their 0w20.

I think M1 0w20 is the best 0w20 on the market. It does very well in low and high temps.

I have the exact vehicle, except mine is an 07'. I just changed to my winter fill. Advance Auto's house brand 5w20 synthetic and a purolator cartridge filter.
Save your money, these are easy vehicles on oil. You'll be fine with almost any 0w20 or 5w20.

OP - I have a related question and hope this doesn't detract from your thread.
I started using Redline 0W20 in a vehicle requiring 5W20 in the spring, and would like to continue its use through the winter. I realize that Redline 0W20 cold viscosity is thicker than other 0W20s, but would like to know how it compares to 5W20 (Honda's).
I do know that I don`t need Redline, but I like it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why are the calipers red?

I just painted them. :p

I think I might just try m1 0w20. Just a year ago I would never even look at 0w20 and would think its too "thin".
Thank you Bitog
smile.gif

Last edited:
IMO that gen mazda 3 is one of the best looking mass produced vehicles to come out in a long time. Nice ride.

I'll be putting honda sm 0w-20 in the accord soon for the winter and have no reservations about using it.

Originally Posted By: andrewlg
OP - I have a related question and hope this doesn't detract from your thread.
I started using Redline 0W20 in a vehicle requiring 5W20 in the spring, and would like to continue its use through the winter. I realize that Redline 0W20 cold viscosity is thicker than other 0W20s, but would like to know how it compares to 5W20 (Honda's).
I do know that I don`t need Redline, but I like it.

As has been mentioned previously in this thread RL 0W-20 (as great as it is) is really a light 30wt oil which is heavier than you need, and yes it is much heavier than the Petro-Canada made Honda 5W-20.
The Idemitsu made Honda 0W-20 is a great lubricant, very robust and much lighter on start-up than the Honda 5W-20 and quite frankly a better oil. It's only 5 bucks/L; a true Canadian bargain.
Having said that I actually prefer the Toyota 0W-20 for your application; it's even lighter on start-up. A 5L jug is 25 bucks.

Oh, and welcome to BITOG!

I understood that Redline 5w20 is really a 30wt, but hoped that their 0w20 would be thinner.
I would have liked to use the 0w20 through the winter to benefit from its ongoing seal protection properties. I've read here that benefits aren't realized until the second fill, which I won't reach without using it year round. I've also read that it is better to stick with the same oil, rather than alternating, such as between the Honda and Redline 0w20s.
Thanks for you feedback, and the welcome!
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back