1977 Ford F-250 Manual Trans. Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone knew which fluid this unit would take. It's a 4spd manual w/ the granny gear. I assume 75w90. If so, any suggestions on type of gear oil to use?

Thanks.

If thats a T18 you should use a 75w90 or 80w90 gear oil that doesnt contain FM/LS additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
If thats a T18 you should use a 75w90 or 80w90 gear oil that doesnt contain FM/LS additives.

Thanks Rand, are most non-synthetic gear oils FM free? I noticed that Red Line sells a 75w90 NS, it's a bit expensive though.

I'd go with valvoline 80w90 or similar. If the bottle says its ok for LS then its not good for transmission. There are quite a few alternatives.

SAE 50 motor oil is susposed to be "ok" but I'd be happier with a fluid with some EP additives. 75w90 is an alternative esp if you get below freezing in winter.

example:
Valvoline® High Performance Gear Oil

An extreme pressure gear lubricant designed for a wide range of applications. Recommended for:

All hypoid differentials (conventional and limited slip) and manual transmissions in passenger cars, light trucks, sport utility vehicles, vans and heavy-duty trucks where an API-GL5 or MT-1 fluid is specified.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of using rear end differential fluid in a manual tranny.
Only because there are better options.
I would use a dedicated manual trans fluid - friction modified for synchros, and with EP and AW additives for great life.
In your case, I do not know your expectations. Any old thing may be OK for you.

mechtech, not really expecting anything in particular. Just a fluid that will continue to shift well, at least as well as one of these old trans. shift anyways.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
mechtech, not really expecting anything in particular. Just a fluid that will continue to shift well, at least as well as one of these old trans. shift anyways.

If you want something that the synchros will behave well with, you'll want a GL4 fluid, not a typical axle fluid like a GL5.
GL4s are obtainable but less readily so and tend to be more expensive, synthetic, etc.
Redline makes a nice line of GL4s.

Charlie

"If that's a T18 you should use a 75w90 or 80w90 gear oil that doesn't contain FM/LS additives."

An inexpensive route, if you have a Chevron dealer near you, is Chevron Delo 400 80W-90 gear oil. It is dual rated GL-4/5 as well as MT-1:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/BrorJace/Miscellaneous/Chevron_Delo_80W-90.jpg

Given you are in Phoenix Arizona, the cold-flow capabilities of the syncromesh synthetic fluids are not essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back