Lots of misinformation on this shop's website

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The average engine will consume 1 qt per 1500 miles. If the oil is changed every 5000 miles, there will only be about 1 qt of oil in the engine by the time it is changed. "

I think you found the worst automotive website on the planet.

Thats funny. Mine does not consume any. In fact, out of the 4 vehicles I take care of here at home, only one of them burns any measurable amounts of oil and it is a Saturn 1.9L.

My 1997 Toyota 4 Runner does not burn oil. The only oil it seemed to consume was Castrol Syntec but no other oil.

I like the part about a vehicle consuming 1 quart in 1500 miles....I wonder what year they took that survey....1950?

It proves my point that internet is literally filled with all kinds of worthless/junk information, hearsays and horsepucky stuff.

myself been a certified mech since 1991 and never before have I seen such poorly constructed information (not all of them are bad though, only some). They have the nerves to call that a "whitepaper" and save it under their FAQ section.

No, I personally would not visit them even if I'm just an avg motoring joe. Afterall: 3kmiles oci is long gone (along with carb'ed cars, manual/primitive chokes on carbs to richen the fuel). I'm now typically running all of my vehicles with 5k oci (or 7kkms oci), and never a single issue with oil rings carboning, letting alone the highly overrated sludging..

Q.

btw: I now got a cushy office job with great satisfaction and respect, no longer do I have to sweat over somebody's hood (in case you wonder)

The sad thing is, that page aside, that shop is one of the best hybrid shops here in the Bay Area. Their prices are also quite reasonable and they are knowledgeable about the cars. It's just that they hold a firm position on recommending very conservative service intervals for fluids.

The fluid change intervals are not that much different than some folks recommend here or practice themselves. Mainly it's just wasteful (time, money, resources), even if recycled.

Re auto tranny drain and refill, at work we had a 1997 Chevy G3500 with a 4L80E tranny and it had a drain plug on the pan. At every engine oil change (5k mi) I would drain the pan and fill up with 4l of dino tranny fluid. Every 50k mi I would drop the pan and change the filter.

That tranny never needed any work and was still going strong when we scrapped the van at 250k mi after an engine seizure. The tranny did not have an easy life behind a torquey diesel engine and mostly city miles.

i know what I am going to do if I ever own a vehicle with an auto tranny.

Originally Posted By: cmf
"The average engine will consume 1 qt per 1500 miles. If the oil is changed every 5000 miles, there will only be about 1 qt of oil in the engine by the time it is changed. "

I think you found the worst automotive website on the planet.

Hmmmm, there may be some merit to this. Not everyone keeps up with their maintenance like the OCD folks who visit here. (I have a measuring cup in my garage to measure 8oz of oil if it looks to be down a cup when I check the oil, do I have a problem?)

Others may not pay attention and eventually get their cars to the point where they are consuming oil at that rate, or faster.

It probably depends on what he sees as well. Even my newly rebuilt engine in the Protege5 consumed 16oz of oil in the first 3K miles, and has consumed about 8oz in the next 3k miles.

Imagine what other cars are doing when folks are not checking on them, or happen to stretch 5K/6mo intervals into 10K/12mos etc.

Some cars have a small sump. I believe the Mazda is a bit over 3L. The others have 4 and 5 quart sumps. If they are consuming a quart every 3K miles, if the Mazda went 6K without a look it would be missing over 1/2 the oil in the crankcase.

For folks who don't open the hood, 3K/3mo may be superb advice. Consider this guy's target reader before totally condemning what he's written.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The sad thing is, that page aside, that shop is one of the best hybrid shops here in the Bay Area. Their prices are also quite reasonable and they are knowledgeable about the cars. It's just that they hold a firm position on recommending very conservative service intervals for fluids.

Given what they recommend on that website I'd say they're one of the best at lightening their customers wallets.

Here's my favorite part:

Quote:
Q: What kind of vehicle should I buy?
A: Obviously, the platform you select must fit your needs. However, at Art’s Automotive, we all agree that Toyota and Honda are engineered the best, period. The shop is split evenly down the middle as to which is preferred of the two, but you really can’t go wrong with either. So, find the Toyota or Honda that best suits you!

That's it, folks! Its either black or white. There are no other choices!

Another gem:

Quote:
And as for the new Mazda products, you may be shocked to learn that they are actually Fords, inside and out. And, you guessed it, just like most domestic vehicles, they break in unpredictable ways, often at low mileages.

Comedy gold, I tell ya!

That shop has a nice web page etc. But he is in the DARK AGES. Says he has been in business 30 years. Well he was in line 30 years ago. But not in this era. He either hates change or is a smooth CON man. Doing unnecessary maintance on good running vehicles is easy high profit money. Go to his site and send him a message. I did. I also let them know that his site was a topic on a major auto forum and not in a good light.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Jeez, an auto transmission drain and fill EVERY 15K?? Somebody needs to make some payments on something!

I assume you didn't own a 6th generation Accord with the 4-speed automatic? The Z1 fluid would be sheared to the point of useless in ~ 10k miles.

I see they're a certified "Bay Area Green Business", whatever that is. Is it really "green" to be changing all that oil so soon and then having to dispose of it?

Originally Posted By: George7941
Re auto tranny drain and refill, at work we had a 1997 Chevy G3500 with a 4L80E tranny and it had a drain plug on the pan. At every engine oil change (5k mi) I would drain the pan and fill up with 4l of dino tranny fluid. Every 50k mi I would drop the pan and change the filter.

That tranny never needed any work and was still going strong when we scrapped the van at 250k mi after an engine seizure. The tranny did not have an easy life behind a torquey diesel engine and mostly city miles.

i know what I am going to do if I ever own a vehicle with an auto tranny.
You were lucky with your 4L80E-I also had the fluid changed constantly on my '00 G2500, and for my trouble it shredded the overdrive sprag and lost the front pump (leaking) at only 130K. You were also pretty lucky to get 250K out of the 6.5, especially if it was a turbo diesel, I've seen ones from that era that broke the crankshaft by 80K! That S.F. garage is stuck in the Dark Ages, even my old Ford van's E4OD could get 20K between ATF flushes.

Ha if he is talking about my car...he is more than right. Mine burns 1 qt every 1000 miles ha. I always make sure I have a gallon of oil in the trunk ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back