2007 Mercury Milan|Valvoline SynPower|9497 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a report from a 2007 Mercury Milan using the Ford Duratec 3.0L V6. We used SynPower 5w-20, SM flavor. We ran this oil almost 10K miles with no filter change or top up (as you can see from the TBN). I agree with their comment, SynPower was probably not the oil to use for this long of a run. We filled it back up with SynPower again, so we will have to be a little more mindful of the mileage and change it a little earlier. While iron was high, this was pretty close to their Fe per mile for averages, so I feel good about that. This is the first UOA from this vehicle. This car has has 56K miles on it.
2007MercuryMilan.jpg

good report, this makes me feel pretty good about my 4-5 thousand mile OCI with 5-30 synpower. I wont stretch it out any further as this trucks been seeing alot of different duty over the past 18 months so the better safe than sorry attitude works for me.

Synpower pretty regularly turns in very good UOAs. I don't consider it a 10K oil though. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Synpower pretty regularly turns in very good UOAs. I don't consider it a 10K oil though. Thanks for posting!

I agree. It's a solid 7,500 mile oil generally speaking. In this app, probably best to cap it there instead of 8.5k-9k+.

what was the oil level @ before the oil change? I mean, if you could have added half a quart of top off, that would have helped with TBN and 10k OCIs would be fine with this oil in your application.

If the car doesn't burn any oil, i agree that you should look into another oil with better TBN retention if you want to do 10k OCIs.

At Wally this oil is 2nd most $$$ other than Mobil EP. 46 iron and 0.9 tbn hmmmmm. Might look around for something else!!

Originally Posted By: Artem
what was the oil level @ before the oil change? I mean, if you could have added half a quart of top off, that would have helped with TBN and 10k OCIs would be fine with this oil in your application.

Yes, it does burn a little bit. It was about 3/4 of a quart low when I changed it. This engine takes 6 quarts of oil so this would have looked better if I had topped it up.

That is a really, really bad report for a Duratec V-6. they are VERY easy on oil.

I've seen many 10k runs with almost single-digit wear.

Dunno what happened here, but I'd go back to 5k changes if you are getting results that bad.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
IIRC isn"t that motor a little tough on oil?
Originally Posted By: addyguy
That is a really, really bad report for a Duratec V-6. they are VERY easy on oil.

hum... yeah.

Whichever is right, I think I'm going to switch to Pennzoil Ultra on my next change and resample since I have it in the stash. SynPower doesn't seem to do what I want in this application.
frown.gif
Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back