O'Rielly 5w-30 full synthetic any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2001 bmw x5 with 170k,
i used this oil from the o'rielly/kragen about 2 times with filter , link direct oil here

and now my question is:
is this oil any good? i mean what will be the difference between this and the bmw one? from the dealer ?

thank you very much for any advice!

There was a couple of VOAs done on the O'Reilly Full Synthetic in the past.

Here is the link to those VOA's......

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1913170&page=1

IMO....these store brand full synthetic oils all use base stock synthetic oil supplied by Major Oil Companies. They may or may not have the same add packs as the major oil companies. Who knows for sure if they all appear on a VOA that identifies a synthetic oil as a Store Brand?

Last edited:
that is a good oil if the oil is sn it is a great oil...save your money because the store brand oil is great stuff
The stealers i know shop for price and get oils that some of us never heard of

Originally Posted By: neamtul
i used this oil from the o'rielly/kragen about 2 times with filter , link direct oil here

and now my question is:
is this oil any good? i mean what will be the difference between this and the bmw one? from the dealer ?

what motor oil is recommended in your manual?
what specs must the oil meet?

Its possible this oil could be good but not good for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
i used this oil from the o'rielly/kragen about 2 times with filter

How long did you run it?

i did change twice with that oil i change it again between 5-7000k the x5 is driven under normal conditions .
thanks,

Originally Posted By: Rand

and now my question is:

what motor oil is recommended in your manual?
what specs must the oil meet?

Its possible this oil could be good but not good for your vehicle.

well the manual say:
must use:
-"approved oils are in SAE classes 5w-40 and 5w-30 "
-"use only oils with the API SH specification or higher"
-"use only approved "BMW high performance synthetic oil"

that what is the manual...
thanks
bm1.png

bm2.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Who Makes O'Reilly's OIl Info

O'Reilly's LubeTech Monthly Newsletters
Click on newsletter top right of page

ya,i see that...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In light of the fact that we just had the 2011 ,O'Reilly Auto Parts brand oils are manufactured by Omni Specialty Packaging. Omni is an independent lubricant manufacturer with a state-of-the-art manufacturing and packaging facility located at the Port of Shreveport-Bossier in Shreveport,
LA. We are an ISO 9001:2008 certified company and we strive for continued quality improvements.
While Omni is not affiliated with any “major” manufacturers, we do use base oils from the two largest refiners in the world,
Exxon/Mobil and Shell. Our additives come from Lubrizol Corporation, the largest and most innovative lubricant additive
supplier in the world.
Omni Specialty Packaging also operates one of the largest and most comprehensive laboratories in the industry that is managed by one of the most respected PhD Chemists in the lubricant business. Our laboratory tests every blend and every packaging run to ensure that they exceed all industry standards as well as our own more rigorous standards.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
omni website info
lubrizol corporation

the point i was trying to find out is that for 20$ you get the
5q+filter of o'rielly full syntetic ,but maybe will just start
by buying the dealer brand from bmw,unless i find some cheaper oil that meets the requirements as the dealer oil. (6.75q and 23$ for the filter
frown.gif
)

Last edited:
IMO....store brand full synthetic oils are very good oils. I just stocked up on a few cases of Strauss Auto Parts Full Synthetic in 5W-20 and 5W-30 the stores are in NY, NJ and PA. After $5 discounts and tax....$2.22 a quart for Full Synthetic SM, GF-4 is a very good deal.

From what I could find out....it is most likely made by Castrol for Strauss Auto. Draw your own conclusions......I posted the sale circular on the Discounts and Deals section. They also had Peak, Conventional for $1.79 a quart, Strauss Auto High Mileage with Synthetic for $1.49 a quart. In addition to the Full synthetic I picked up a mixed case of Peak in 5W-20 and 5W-30 for some oil changes.

As the person who posted the VOA's on O'Reilly's Full Syn, I have an opinion on this matter...

You should really be using an A3 or LL01 spec'd oil for your BMW. There are a couple of those at Walmart, M1 0w40 European Car Formula or M1 High Mileage 10w30 SL rated. (the new SN rated doesn't have A3 I don't believe)

I personally don't think the O'Reilly syn is a good choice. If you must run it, choose an Xw40wt.

from the stickers on the oil i dont know if is any good for my bimmer,above or in the manual it say to use API SH oil type and on their sticker do not say none about that...

look:
IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

At that milage...anything would do. It said either 5w30 or 5w40, so if she's not leaking, it should be fine...

from the stickers on the oil i dont know if is any good for my bimmer,above or in the manual it say to use API SH oil type and on their sticker do not say none about that...

look:

IMAG0334.jpg

The cirle-like logo thing on the back has the API rating. That oil is rated as "SM", and will be fine in your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back