Amsoil OE 5w30 - 5,050 - 1998 Toyota Camry V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another typical oil run from my Camry. 90% EXTREME short trips of >3 miles round trip. Did take a few 500+/- mile trips.

Driven in mostly 100F weather. Idles a lot with AC on full blast to cool the interior before we get in.

Amsoil EA oil and air filters.

I did run Amsoil engine flush for 15 mins during the previous OC.

^I did the same after pulling this sample. (I took pics of the internals under the valve cover and want to pull it again soon to see if the Flush additives managed to clean anything... we'll see.)

I plan to stay with 5k OCIs as the TAN is surpassing the TBN by that point, unless the car starts doing more highway driving.

Comments appreciated.

Camry5050mileUOA.jpg

Looks good! I assume this is the notorious 1MZ-FE sludge monster? If so, this oil stood up to the challenge well. Our 1MZ-FE likes to shear oil rather quickly, but produces a beautiful oil analysis nonetheless. They are great engines if properly maintained and it appears you take care of yours very well.

^I agree. Good to see the insols low. 5,000-6,000(as a max perhaps) with this oil in this app is a good round number.

How long has the Amsoil air filter been in use?

Looks like the engine is wearing well. I would probably try PYB a couple of times to see how it would compare, but you are looking good with the OE. Consistent results, that is what UOA's are all about.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Looks like the engine is wearing well. I would probably try PYB a couple of times to see how it would compare, but you are looking good with the OE. Consistent results, that is what UOA's are all about.

I'd be curious to see what another oil may do over 2 oil changes, but the OP is dedicated to Amsoil(for the folks he services as well if I'm not mistaken?) and I don't blame him.
thumbsup2.gif

Artem...keeping Amsoil alive while I sit on this extended OCI for a while.
banana2.gif

Nice... Nice shot of Zinc too!

What interval do you change your PCV at??

Considering the driving conditions I think the oil did well. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Looks good! I assume this is the notorious 1MZ-FE sludge monster? If so, this oil stood up to the challenge well. Our 1MZ-FE likes to shear oil rather quickly, but produces a beautiful oil analysis nonetheless. They are great engines if properly maintained and it appears you take care of yours very well.

Yes its the 1MZ engine. Never had a single problem with it. It's bullet proof.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^I agree. Good to see the insols low. 5,000-6,000(as a max perhaps) with this oil in this app is a good round number.

How long has the Amsoil air filter been in use?

The Amsoil air filter has been in place for two OCs, or roughly 10k miles.

I'll consider giving PYB a run for its money during the next OC.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I'd be curious to see what another oil may do over 2 oil changes, but the OP is dedicated to Amsoil(for the folks he services as well if I'm not mistaken?) and I don't blame him.
thumbsup2.gif

Artem...keeping Amsoil alive while I sit on this extended OCI for a while.
banana2.gif

I'm stocked to the roof with Amsoil products and don't see a point in using anything else while the Amsoil collects dust.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Is that one recycled from your civic? If so, how long it was in civic?

No this oil was a fresh fill. I'm experimenting with the OE line and building a trend before trying a different oil / using recycled oil from the Civic in the Camry.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Nice... Nice shot of Zinc too!

What interval do you change your PCV at??

Honestly, I've had the Camry since New and as far as i recall... the PCV has NEVER been changed. It's on my list of things to during a now past due timing belt change (was due @ 200k) I'll confirm it when i replace it very soon. I swear, i think its the OEM piece.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Considering the driving conditions I think the oil did well. Thanks for posting.

Agreed. I'm happy with the somewhat cheap OE oil keeping the engine protected during the short trips down the street to work and back.

Whoa.

Dude.

Over 200,000 miles with the original PCV Valve on a sludge monster...???

Pick one up, very soon!!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Artem
Another typical oil run from my Camry. 90% EXTREME short trips of >3 miles round trip.

You mean less than (div>

Less then 3 miles. Did i do that wrong? Whoops. Haha.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Whoa.

Dude.

Over 200,000 miles with the original PCV Valve on a sludge monster...???

Pick one up, very soon!!

It seems to still be functional since the internals are clean and i don't have any issues whatsoever but i do plan on changing it in the next month or so when i do the timing belt.
thumbsup2.gif

Artem just didn't want to post the
BTW, speaking of PCV valves. Artem, do you know how easy it is to remove a factory breather chamber off the engine? I have one on this Civic that appears held in place by 1 bolt(perhaps 2nd one is hiding?), and I wanted to remove it while my oil filter is removed at the next oil change in order to access it more easily.

I'm curious to see if it's filled with some muck, at the suggestion of other VX owners/drivers. My PCV valve seats into the breather chamber, but this little box is impossible to get to from the top; located under the intake runners on the passenger side in my app. Was wondering if your Civis' have one even though newer(DOHC?), or if you worked with a 90s model Civic and noticed one...so if you have had the chance to see one in your hands how did the innards appear?

Back on topic, I'd like to see one run of PYB in this app for 5,000 for comparison for fun.
thumbsup2.gif

PS: You can PM me on the question now that I think about it.
grin2.gif

What is this obsession with PYB?! Geez..
18.gif

I'll consider pulling that in next time

Good results - nice to see wear metals dropping. Oil also held viscosity very well. OE line seems like a real winner for those who want syn for a 5-8k interval.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Good results - nice to see wear metals dropping. Oil also held viscosity very well. OE line seems like a real winner for those who want syn for a 5-8k interval.

Yep, exactly what i'm saying. @ $3.99 per quart for some piece of mind, knowing that i'm using a good quality semi(?) synthetic oil is right on the money, IMO.

I've decided that i'm going to extend the OCIs a bit more. 7k looks and sounds pretty good to me, looking back at the previous UOA of OE @ 7k. Whats say you?

Thanks Addy, i knew i'd get some support outta you
thumbsup2.gif

You just loooooove extending OCIs

Originally Posted By: Artem
Thanks Addy, i knew i'd get some support outta you
thumbsup2.gif

You just loooooove extending OCIs

Not really anymore, not with the new vehicle. I'll be changing the oil again in late Sept. for a road trip we are taking in October, and then will most likely have to change again before X-Mas. I'm done with insanely-long OCI's on bulk dino - if I go long OCI in the future, it will be with a quality syn.

Since when are we talking about conventional fluids? I wouldn't go past 3k with dino oil.
grin2.gif

Synthetics and extended OCIs go hand in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back