New Toro 20092

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda was also a POS. Complete JUNK! The Toro that replaced it is a far superior mower in every way. It has a Tecumseh engine that runs great with lots of power.

I'm considering the same mower once we get settled into the new house, but have been steering towards the model with the Honda GC or (Chinese) Kohler!?!

I can't say I've had bad luck with old school Briggs flat-heads. I've owned a bunch, it's just that once I went with a Honda GC like I've got on my Honda HRS216SDA I swore I could NEVER go back to a side valver.

I bought my HRS216 new in 1999 and that engine is so smooth, quiet, powerful and fuel efficient, I'm kind sold on them. Are the newer ones that much different?

660mag, what's your take on going with a Honda GC over a Briggs?

Thanks!

Joel

There both cool boars with the power adv going to the briggs, and the fuel/emissions adv going to the honda.
The gcv only comes on the superbager, and the briggs only comes on the superrecycler. Bagging requires less power.
In a perfect world the superrecycler would come with the gcv190, or even the elusive GSV190.
The gsv has a steel boar and a roller bearings on the pto side of the crank. The configured otherwise is exactly like the gcv.

My personal choice would be the 20092 because of the deck design.
Engine then defaults to the B&S.

I've put about 15 hours on mine and could not be more satisfied. Mower does a beautiful job of mulching. I will see how it bags this fall, but 95% of what I do is mulch and it performs as advertised.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I thought you had bought a Honda. Good to see you got the Toro with the Briggs.

I was going to but the deal with south at the last minute. It worked out the way it was suppose to. I really like this Toro.

Oh well, you prolly got a better rig this way, those Toros are nice
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 660mag

The gcv only comes on the superbager, and the briggs only comes on the superrecycler.

Oh no kiddin'. I have to do some more research on them. I swore online I've seen super recycler models with the GCV, Briggs or Kohler.

The model I got, the Super Recycler 20092 comes with the Briggs. It has never taken more than two pulls to start, but most of the time it starts on the first pull. IMHO I prefer the Briggs over the Kohler.

Yes, I have no experience with the new Kohler push mower engine. It looks like your basic Chonda.

Oddly enough, as I was unloading stuff into our "new" house this AM, there was an old lady across the street mowing with a new(ish) Briggs Toro Super Recycler. Happily mowing away at 0.0005 MPH with the choke on full!! It caught my attention because I thought someone was mowing nearby with a 2-stroke Lawyboy or the likes from the pops and sputters. It was a throttle control-less model from what I could tell from a distance. Are these auto choke? It's possible it just had a carb problem too. I wanted so badly to walk over and investigate for her, but she was unfazed and wouldn't know me from Adam at the present time anyway.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Are these auto choke?

If it's a newer Toro Recycler, then yeah, it has no manual throttle and no choke control.

The choke on the new B@S is wind vain operated. With no rpms a light spring holds it in choke. Works very well. The other auto type is run by a thermo in the exhaust.
As for that lady, a packed air filter is the same as choke. The way you described the sound it could have a bent, or sheared flywheel key.

Last edited:
The way you described the sound it could have a bent, or sheared flywheel key.

Sounds like a possibility. Her property is neat as a pin. From a distance it sounded just like running an engine with the choke full on and the throttle wide open. Didn't seem to bother her any, here I am noticing it from ~500ft away!

Joel

The choke on the new B@S is wind vain operated. With no rpms a light spring holds it in choke. Works very well. The other auto type is run by a thermo in the exhaust.
As for that lady, a packed air filter is the same as choke. The way you described the sound it could have a bent, or sheared flywheel key.

Wind vane, reminds me that some of the early model Stihls had a wind vane governor, at full throttle it would dampen the choke and slow it down
grin.gif

Wind vanes do work well for wot single operations, but when there used to govern an engine the throttle response is poor poor poor. I'm looking forward to Briggs, Honda, or Kawi putting an electronic throttle control on a walk behind mower. That would be too cool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I don't know if i would waste the gas, on a steel deck yes. But on Aluminum why bother , it aint gonna rust!

In principle this should be true, but in practice it isn't. The aluminum deck won't rust but it WILL corrode, it turns to white dust.
The aluminum alloy that Toro used prior to about 1990 (and still being used in the commercial mower decks) is different than the aluminum alloy that they are now using in the consumer mower decks. In the old days with the old aluminum alloy, Toro mowers would last forever if you didn't run over something and break the deck. The 1994 model Super Recycler that I currently have has been an excellent mower! It still mows superbly, the Briggs L-head engine has been excellent, and the power drive system has performed flawlessly. The problem with this mower is that the deck has very nearly corroded away completely. I patched it up with fiber reinforced Bondo and am still using it, but the mower is definitely on it's last legs. I contacted Toro to ask them if they had corrected the alloy formulation on the newer models and the answer from them was that the alloy currently being used is the same as it was in 1994.
For this reason I personally would not (and will not) spend the extra money to upgrade from the steel deck to the aluminum deck, but, I will still buy another Toro and wouldn't hesitate to get it with an L-head Briggs engine.

Last edited:
I just got a GREAT deal on a Toro 20330 front drive model with the Briggs 190cc.
I am just a few days from closing on my first house ,and I was set on one of the Honda Harmony consumer models but my buddy had this 2011 Toro thats about 6 months old.

The drive belt came off ,but he never looked under it to figure out what the problem was. He was past Homedepots 30 day exchange ,and did not want to deal with going through the manufacture.

He gave it to me for free!! I took it home and reinstalled the belt ,and it works great!! Even though he didnt ask I ended up giving him $100 for it.
I have used it to mow my parents lawn a couple of times, and even when the grass was long the engine had plenty of power. Has started the 1st time everytime as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back