New to me Johnson 4.0 two stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 12 foot wooden dory that I wanted to power. I found a 1993 4 hp Johnson on Craig's List. It was the needed long shaft version and was used as an emergency backup on a sail boat. It has less than 2 hours of time on it. Score!

It's been sitting for the last 15 years. I'm going to rebuild the water pump, fuel pump, and carburetor. I'll also replace the fuel line and tank(it was beyond hope, stored with the vent open). Anything else I should check?

I picked up the Clymer shop manual. It says that the first 12 gallons should be mixed at 25:1. They say 10 hours of double oil for the injected models. The horse power is not specified, and 12 gallons through a 4 is a lot different than through a 40. Anybody have a 4.0 owner's manual that may clarify?

Ed

nice find. I would guess double the oil for the first couple hours maybe, it shouldn't take much more than that to break it in. Those are good engines, I had an old 5hp johnson from that era on an avon inflatable. it was slow but dependable.

Yup, got the gear oil.

Pennzoil High-Vis
Pennzoil Premium Plus for the engine.

Since it already has a couple of hours on it, hopefully at the proper 25:1, I was thinking 3 gal at 25:1, three at 32:1, three at 40:1, then take it to the 50:1.

Just got back from lunch and a visit to the Johnson dealer here in town. He said that 50:1 right out of the box was fine for these engines. I'll probably still give it a bit extra for a while.

I'm probably an idiot for buying a two-stroke in this day and age, but I've always been intrigued with the small two cylinders. Right now the only places I can't use it, I don't want to go anyway.

Ed

Well, I'm only 25 miles from Tahoe, but that's right out because of the ~$100 it costs to put a boat in the water there now days, never mind the two stroke ban. I figure I'll take it to Frenchman, Boca, and Stampede for now.

I'll be moving to Sequim, Washington in a few years. It'll be used on Sequim Bay to put out a crab pot or two, maybe a bit of fishing, and to take day trips to the lighthouse.

This was designed and built by a friend, and I bought it the instant he decided to sell it, even though I wasn't really ready for a boat. I still need to get it titled, as he'd never gotten around to powering it, and the trailer needs some modification.

African mahogany ply and epoxy/glass composite. Transom, stern sheets, and thwarts of Honduras mahogany, ash gunnels and floorboards. Laminated spruce spoon oars.

Design by Mark Alpen.

2.jpg

I had hoped to get a C-Dory when I got to Sequim. This is my adjustment for the current economic conditions.
smile.gif

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back