Decarbing a 2 stroke johnson outboard

Got my 25hp johnson pretty much dialed in with a rebuilt carb, choke solenoid, fuel lines and fuel pump. Since I don't know the maintenance done to it by PO's, I figured it wouldn't hurt to decarb the motor with some seafoam. Can one of you 2 stroke guys tell me the best way to do this? As always, thanks for helping.

Being a 2-stroke, normally I would just adid it to the gas.

With 4-strokes, I’d pull a vacuum line off the intake and suck in a can that way. After warming up the engine first.

I'd tread lightly with Seafoam in a two stroke engine when adding it to the gas. Maybe little to clean up a carburetor, but nothing crazy. Just make sure to up the oil dose a little. I had good luck with Amsoil's Power Foam a few times. I used it a few years back in an 88 15 HP Evinrude Outboard with very good results. You might want to hit up @Pablo for more info, etc.

Yamaha "ringfree" may be available at WalMart. It is here in Jupiter. It is a PEA additive, much like Chevron Techron. It used to be sold for 2 stroke engines. Not sure if that is still the case.

Got my 25hp johnson pretty much dialed in with a rebuilt carb, choke solenoid, fuel lines and fuel pump. Since I don't know the maintenance done to it by PO's, I figured it wouldn't hurt to decarb the motor with some seafoam. Can one of you 2 stroke guys tell me the best way to do this? As always, thanks for helping.

If it ain't broke; don't fix it. Chevron and Stabil is all you need.

You need to run the engine slightly above idle and spray a whole can of seafoam through the carb. When the can is empty let it sit 15-20 min before firing it up again. This the most effective way to remove carbon. This should be done once a year to prevent a stuck ring. Stick with Penzoil synthetic blend marine 2 stroke oil. Available at Walmart or Amazon.

You need to run the engine slightly above idle and spray a whole can of seafoam through the carb. When the can is empty let it sit 15-20 min before firing it up again. This the most effective way to remove carbon. This should be done once a year to prevent a stuck ring. Stick with Penzoil synthetic blend marine 2 stroke oil. Available at Walmart or Amazon.
I'd use b12 or something stronger, but seafoam should work without dissolving the oil or something like that

Yamaha "ringfree" may be available at WalMart. It is here in Jupiter. It is a PEA additive, much like Chevron Techron. It used to be sold for 2 stroke engines. Not sure if that is still the case.
This^. Don't overcomplicate it. Yamaha Ring Free was made to do exactly what you want to do and was designed specifically for outboard engines.

This^. Don't overcomplicate it. Yamaha Ring Free was made to do exactly what you want to do and was designed specifically for outboard engines.
Yamaha ring free and their Yamahalube are poor choices. Reason why everyone with EFI and HPDI went to Penzoil after so many blown blocks with caked rings. Even with a steady diet of ring free and Yamaha lube.

Back