95 25hp Johnson 2 stroke help

Just bought a used jon boat in great condition that has a 25hp johnson 2 stroke on it. I'm posting here because it felt funny posting in the boat lubricant section. Anyway, the motor appears to be in great condition. It fired right up on the muffs and sounded great. It shifted like butter with no clunking.

I've never owned an older 2 stroke outboard. Need some help going through it and getting it ready to take out for a shakedown run. Tell me what I should do. New plugs? Change lower gear oil? Treat the 6 gallon tank with seafoam as preventative? All help appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231115_225131_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231115_225131_Facebook.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 21
All the above. The lower gear oil should be changed out at the end of each boating season.

I used to run an old Johnson 25hp in neutral submerged in a steel trash can full of water to make sure it was running good and do any carb. tweeking before launching the boat.

Yep, had a Johnson 25 horse two stroke for about 12 years or more. Ran it fairly hard on the Susquehanna River and Oregon Inlet at the Delaware shore. I always changed the lower unit oil every year and had the shop change the impeller at about 8 years or so. Also, I did change plugs every two years. Treat it right and it will treat you with years of great service.

Replace ALL the fuel hoses and hand pump. Alky fuel rotted those on my 1990's Merc. Be sure to clean out the gas tank, and if you are competent, pull the card and take it apart and clean it out.

Try to oil all the cables, and grease all the fittings, too. Check the spark wires for dry rot.

Back