2011 Nissan Versa Spark Plugs Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should the plugs be easy to get at? On modern engines you almost don't have to change them, at most every 100k miles. So the average car is going to go through, what 2-3 sets max before it hits the junkyard?

Still not sure what the point of this thread is, but would note that I changed the similar plugs in my 2001 Acura TL at 105,000 miles and they looked like they could easily have gone the same distance again. You may never need to change these plugs.

This really doesn't look to be that bad at all. If it makes you feel better, Google "PCV replacement Volvo V/XC70". You'll feel much better about it.

I have a lot more stuff to remove on my Ford V6, but it's still a doable job for a very average shade-tree mechanic. The flip side is that you'll be replacing your IM and valve cover gaskets @ 100K, and that's not the end of the word. Realistically, you'll have to do the job once or twice during the car's life. This isn't the sorta thing that would preclude me from buying a car. It is nice to know what you're dealing with upfront.

Honda I4's require a valve adjustment every 100K, so every car has its maintenance quirks. These seem like similar jobs in terms of time. And having removed a few Iridium plugs, I'll say that they're a legitimate 100K plug, at least the NGK Lasers I've seen.

Lot of modern engines have more difficult plugs to change than this one. If I was overly concerned about doing maintenance, I would have done the homework BEFORE I purchased.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
The Nissan Versa 1.8 spark plugs removal requires a flexible 14mm deep well socket which can only be found and purchased from Snap-On tools. This special socket is also used on the Nissan Sentra, some Mercedes Benz models and BMW models as well.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog

spark-plug-wrench-941.jpg

I found something like this for my car for only $5 in Kragen, although I bought it 15 years ago, it shouldn't be that expensive now still.

This is why Im am learning all of the maintenance requirements and procedures for the Nissan Versa before my parents make their final buying decision. So far, I have everything figured out and it looks easy to me including the spark plugs replacement.

The point of the thread was trying to figure out how to perform the 105,000 miles service when it is due someday since the owners manual and service manual don't tell you any procedures or instructions on how to perform this service.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
Thanks for all of the replies. I figured out the procedures and steps needed to complete the spark plugs replacement. This information will apply to the Nissan 1.4L, 1.6L and 1.8L I-4 engines.

1. Unbolt the plastic engine cover secured on top with two small bolts.

2. Remove the two plastic pins above the radiator that secure the air intake with a flathead driver.

3. Lift up air intake assembly and pull outward to remove.

4. Unscrew and lose the jubilee clips on the pipe attaching to throttle body assembly and remove the smaller hose as well.

5. Unclip the electrical connector located near the throttle body.

6. Remove the pipe and set aside near the air filter housing.

7. Unscrew the four bolts attached to the airflow management unit or throttle body.

8. Remove the assembly from the intake manifold and set aside.

9. Remove the five bolts attached to the intake manifold and please be careful and patient during this process to avoid losing bolts.

10. Remove the rubber hose from the back of the intake manifold located in the rear.

11. Remove the bolts from the bracket on the right side of the manifold.

12. Remove the gray bolt located where the airflow management unit is placed to release the intake manifold from the engine.

13. Slowly lift up the intake manifold and pull away toward you.

14. You will see four individual coils attached to each spark plug. Remove the bolt on each coil and pulled up and straight to remove the coil assembly. Make sure to memorize each individual coil location.

15. Use a deep 14mm socket and a long thin extension with ratchet to remove the iridium equipped spark plugs.

16. Install Nissan OEM Denso or NGK Iridium spark plugs and secure each individual coil with the bolt torqued to specifications. Hand-tightened spark plugs first and then torque 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn with ratchet. Replace the coil straight down and secured them with the bolt. No gapping is required on the spark plugs.

17. Reinstall the intake manifold back in place and torque all necessary bolts removed earlier to proper specifications. Reinstall the rubber hose located on the back of the intake manifold

18. Reinstall the airflow management unit with the four bolts removed earlier.

19. Reconnect the electrical connector and reinstall the pipe with the necessary clamps including the small rubber hose as well.

20. Reinstall the air intake assembly with the plastic pins secured above the radiator.

21. Reinstall the engine cover secured with two bolts on the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrhY-x5z8EU

The price of technology it seems. But they don't mention this in the smoke and mirrors show.

btw.

my car

1. pop hood
2. prop hood
3. remove plug wires
4. remove spark plugs

installation reverse of removal

Of course I don't have room to talk as my car isn't running all that great, but if this is the most trouble the car will give you, then you can call it a blessing.

btw, I like the 5 speed Versa hatchback. i would want one someday and see plenty of them around. On my last route, Hyundai Sonatas were the most popular. On my current route, Versas are.

Last edited:
Just because a manufacturer says you can get 100,000 miles from spark plugs doesn't mean you actually can.

When I had my Saturn ION, the engine needed plugs badly at 63,000 miles, despite saying they were 100,000 mile plugs.

For the most part the claim of 100k on the plugs is hooey!
Marketing blather for those that what to hear what they want to hear.
grin.gif

My guess is for piece of mind even if the mfr claims no need to replace plugs until 100k I would still have them replaced at around 5 years or 65k if for no other reason to prevent potential seizing in the head.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sandy_d
For the most part the claim of 100k on the plugs is hooey!
Marketing blather for those that what to hear what they want to hear.
grin.gif

My guess is for piece of mind even if the mfr claims no need to replace plugs until 100k I would still have them replaced at around 5 years or 65k if for no other reason to prevent potential seizing in the head.

I agree with doing them on time for that same reason, and 5 years is about my comfort zone in my mild climate--maybe sooner if I lived somewhere else.

That said, the NGK Lasers I've pulled out at 70-90K (two different sets) were in almost new condition, so they're a legitimate 100K plug. Whether you want to leave them in that long is another matter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back