High Mileage Diesel Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my question to the "automobile" manufacturers, why not learn from the diesel manufacturers....? Make the gasoline engines last longer....such as diesels? It's crazy, when I hear about the track records on some of these semis....

It's gotta be a ploy somewhere, how they can even consider "75k" high mileage, when we got vehicles lasting 300,000 miles....? Smells like a gimmick to me. Why the need for "HM"? If you figure the math, 75,000 is like what, a quarter of 300,000? Or some such, precisely anyways....

Err....yes, did the math, 75000 is only 1/4 of 300,000....so why the need for "HM" oils when cars are lasting 300 000 miles? Seems kind of early to call a car "high mileage".....I could understand 100k, maybe 125k being high mileage.....but not 75k...

Now that you mention it, that is quite comical, no "HM" diesel oil.....and soooo many less brands/confusion to choose from, ya got Rotella, Delo, or Valvoline, Mobil 1.......so much simpler hehe.

BTW, out of curiosity, what would be considered a "Light Weight" 15W-40 diesel oil....? Based on PDS/UOA numbers...?

ahoier: I really didn't understand, hence my question and now I wonder since these same companies can create a HDEO that does everything? Why can't these same so called companies do the same for gasoline engines as well?

Don't tell me they can't!!

We can put a man on the moon! Well supposedly!

Then again we can't find a cure for Cancer, because that would put millions of fine folks out of WORK! LORD KNOWS WE DON'T WANT THAT...

I just don't understand the thinking! Which I'm glad I don't, other wise I would just like them...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
ahoier: I really didn't understand, hence my question and now I wonder since these same companies can create a HDEO that does everything? Why can't these same so called companies do the same for gasoline engines as well?

Aren't most HDEOs dual-rated as CJ-4/SM? CJ-4/SM would be more than fine in any gasoline engine, including those calling for the thinnest viscosities. The only drawback would be a few percent drop in fuel economy but there is aways an intrinsic compromise when it comes to engine oil.

Gokhan: That is what I don't understand...If most are or all are...Why in the world do these companies spend so much money and time in developing so many different kinds of gasoline engine oils for certain situations... When the HDEOs can handle those situations already? They just need to work on a few more different viscositys...

I know it's once again all about the MONEY!!! Create it and with good advertising the public will buy anything...

I just don't understand the thinking... we can have lets say 30 choices instead of 100...

Ah well... I just best worry about something more important...Changing my A/C filters... It's 108 today..

CJ-4 puts 3.5 lower limit on HTHS viscosity, which makes it very difficult to make 5W-30 or thinner grades that can satisfy this limit.

I agree that manufacturer's specifications are entirely redundant, especially the European ones. On top of the highly fragmented manufacturer's grades, they have a very confusing ACEA grade system there. We're lucky in US to have simple API grades.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
CJ-4 puts 3.5 lower limit on HTHS viscosity, which makes it very difficult to make 5W-30 or thinner grades that can satisfy this limit.

I agree that manufacturer's specifications are entirely redundant, especially the European ones. On top of the highly fragmented manufacturer's grades, they have a very confusing ACEA grade system there. We're lucky in US to have simple API grades.

ACEA A3 0w-30 and 5w-30 oils are available. Does that mean HTHS >3.2 or 3.5?

I much prefer the ACEA system then our dumbed down API specs. ACEA if smartly implemented would give a robust oil for high power density performance engines and a less robust spec for more pedestrian engines, but it would be all standardized. API needs to have add-one like HTO-06 because it just doesn't meet the requirements always.

"Oil for high mileage engines" is mainly a marketing ploy, especially for the recommendation for an engine with 75k miles on it. It is oil that might be in the thicker end of the viscosity range, may contain some seal softeners, doesn't have some of the additives that contribute to the "energy conserving" label, and always has a higher price tag. No engine needs this oil. If a higher viscosity oil is needed, one or more quarts of higher vis oil can be added to the regular oil.

Diesel engine motor oils are designed for the full life of the engine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
ACEA A3 0w-30 and 5w-30 oils are available. Does that mean HTHS >3.2 or 3.5?

ACEA A3/B3-10 minimum HTHS is 3.5 -- same as API CJ-4.

But then there is little difference between a 0W-30 oil with HTHS 3.5 and a regular CJ-4 5W-40 with HTHS ~ 3.8, as fuel economy and engine wear are both determined by HTHS. Therefore, it's somewhat redundant to make an ACEA A3/B3 0W-30 oil. You could simply use an API CJ-4 5W-40 instead. For some reason Europeans like unnecessary fragmentation, just like the numerous small countries in Europe.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

What may be confusing is also quite specific. I happen to like the ACEA specs, I think the API specs are too much "one size fits all".

Charlie

Originally Posted By: ahoier
my question to the "automobile" manufacturers, why not learn from the diesel manufacturers....? Make the gasoline engines last longer....such as diesels? It's crazy, when I hear about the track records on some of these semis....

They could, but the market would not bear the cost. Considering a typical semi engine costs more than the entire cost of the typical auto. A remanned Cummins ISX is around $18,000 and that is after your core engine exchange ($9500 for the core). A new engine is thru the roof. But then, like Doug, I have regularly taken Cummins engines to well over a million miles. My last, an N-14, went to 1.4 million without ever being opened up except for overheads and one injector. Still got almost 7 mpg and only used a gallon of oil every 8000 - 10,000 miles. Should have kept the darn thing and put it in another truck. My current ISX has 717,000 miles on it and the oil samples are as good as when it had 100,000 on it.

So, the OEM auto manufacturers could do the same, but that would double or triple the cost of the typical auto. And you have to keep in mind, that most semi engines run long periods at consistent rpms. Not too many auto owners properly drive and maintain their engines. And most auto owners will not hold onto a car long enough to make it worth while building bullet proof engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back