Castrol Syntec MP Grease any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to grease the fittings on the front end of my Tahoe. Picked up this grease and the Lucas pistol grip grease gun.

Anyone use either? How are they. I'll be greasing the fittings tomorrow after I do an oil change.

Castrol SYNTEC™ Grease is a breakthrough in lubrication technology. It's full synthetic formula provides protection, durability and performance that far surpass conventional greases.

* Fully synthetic, NGLI 2 formula.

* Synthetic durability for maximum protection under severe service conditions.

* Superior performance under extreme high and low temperatures. Exceptional resistance to water, rust, dirt and corrosion.

* Recommended for automotive chassis lubrication points, wheel bearings, ball joints and universal joints.

* Meets the requirements NLGI GC/LB, Ford ESA-M1C75-B and General Motors 9985254.

Well there is the pitch, a fully synthetic grease that kicks butt

Hot cold, and
* Meets the requirements NLGI GC/LB, Ford ESA-M1C75-B and General Motors 9985254.

Well lets start there, what are these requirements set out by Ford and GM ?

GMNA 9985254: Grease, Wheel Bearing, High Temperature, No. 2
Publication Date: Oct 1, 2003
SDO: GMNA: General Motors Company
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved

1 Scope A grease having high temperature, extreme pressure, and other characteristics suitable for lubrication of tapered roller wheel bearings.

Well there is GM speal about 9985254 see what Ford says

FORD ESA-M1C75-B: GREASE, GENERAL CHASSIS - LONG LIFE LUBRICATION (POLYETHYLENE AND MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE ADDITIVES) ***TO BE USED WITH FORD WSS-M99P1111-A***
Publication Date: Oct 22, 2003
SDO: FORD: Ford Motor Company
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved

1. SCOPE

The material defined by this specification is a NLGI No. 2 grease consisting of a mineral oil and lithium soap base with additives to give the desired characteristics of a long life lubricant. This grease shall be a homogeneous product, free from oil separations, abrasive fillers, and be non-corrosive to the lubricated parts in service.

Okay So this spec is little more defined I spose,,, but what I mean anyone should know that a grease shouldnt have "abrasive fillers"

I have to look up homogeneous ?

Definition of HOMOGENEOUS
: of the same or a similar kind or nature
: of uniform structure or composition throughout
: having the property that if each variable is replaced by a constant times that variable the constant can be factored out : having each term of the same degree if all variables are considered

seems like a bunch of run around to me,,

GM specs and Ford specs, man is that all they are?? why bother putting that as a selling point,,

Oh no one actually reads them and wonders what they are,,, thats it,, just sounds good,

Last edited:
Okay,

In the firts 3 lines in the speal about castrol Syntec MP grease the word Synthetic pops up just as many times,

And combined with the "Syntec" name the marketers really want us to know that it is a "Fully Synthetic" grease,,,

Now what is "Synthetic"??

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) deleted any and all definitions of "synthetic" from all specifications relating to oils.

API (American Petroleum Institute) never defined what "synthetic" is.

NAD (National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus) ruled that "Synthetic" is a marketing term and that it is the responsibility of the Marketer (the one who labels and markets the oil) to define what it is.

So man another bunch of run around with this "Synthetic" stuff,,,

Yikes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KeithKman
I need to grease the fittings on the front end of my Tahoe. Picked up this grease and the Lucas pistol grip grease gun.

Anyone use either? How are they. I'll be greasing the fittings tomorrow after I do an oil change.

Well Keith, the pistol grip gun from Lucas should work just fine for greasing this Rig of yours,

As far as the "Castrol MP grease," cant say for sure never seen it never used it

But from what it is "Marketed" as hits off the scale as "hype" ,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back