Are my new Red Wings 2270 resole-able

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a pair of Red Wings 2270 steel toe work boots. They are extremely comfortable and actually have small size for me that doesn't make it look like I wear women shoes. Below is the boots' description. http://www.redwingsafety.com/intl/safety...h-pull-on-brown

Can you tell me if this is resole-able? From the look of it, it seems that you just cut the upper rubber liner that may be protecting the upper stitching and resole but I am not sure. Addtionally, I can't see why a cobber can't just just out the sole and put a new one on. The reason I wonder this even when the boots are less than 2 days old is that they are super comfortable and I like to be able to resole them when the time comes as there will be a good chance they won't be made. I can't wear regular steel toes boots with hi-top because they are too stiff and cowboy boots are the most comfortable and no lacing required.

Thanks.

Doesn't look like it. Take it to a local shoe repair place and ask.

What's deceiving these days is that even shoes that APPEAR to be resoleable are constructed to give that false appearance.

BTW I own two pairs of resoleable boots. Both are Wolverine, from their 1000 Mile Collection. Both are Horween Chromexcel leather uppers with stacked leather soles. One of them is a full Vibram rubber sole, the other is bare leather with a Vibram heel. I intend to get those resoled soon with Danite.

For Red Wings, consider the Gentleman Traveler. They're a very nice boot that can be resoled. They're great for around-town and for work; I suggest the cordovan color for the most versatility.

If the soles are stitch down, rather than "glued Down", they should be recraftable.

The best way to determine, in advance, if these boots are recraftable, prior to buying them, is to call Red Wing boots and give them the model number. They will let you know for sure.

Last edited:
I can't see how the cobblers can't just slide part of the sole and apply new sole on top. Wouldn't that be easier than my Laredo cowboy boots that have stitching through the leather on the bottom. I actually had to apply tar (the type used to repair driveway cracks) along the seams because they are exposed on the bottom and street walking could easily destroy them.

Why would high end shoess (above 200 dollars for this one) not resoleble is beyond me. It should be a simple tear and replace. I may have to go to Mexico or Asia and get it done when the time is right and make the vacation more meaningful.

Are resoleable shoes stiffer and less comfortable?

By the way, I had an old pair of TImberland (Made in USA) circa 1997. It was my only pair of footware and it lasted me 4.5 years of college and 2 years afterward. Due to the way I walk, the sole get worn down badly on one side of each heel but the rest of the soles are still good. A cobber wanted 79 dollars to resole it even though I didn't think they're resoleable due to the fact that most Timberland boots aren't resoleable. Anyway, the leather is still excellent but I couldn't justify the price so I spent 70 dollars on a new pair of Timberland hiking boots (Made in China) with Vibram sole. That was a mistake and the later pair splited from being in storage after 3 years and occasionally winter because I still used my older Timblerland. The soles on the new pair splitted in half just like carrots. The same exact thing happened to a pair of steel toes I got free from work's safety gear shop. I used that for 2 weeks and put it in the closet while away in college. After 4.5 years, the sole splitted and chunks fell off.

This is why I prefer USA made boots as they are made to the toughness of American work days and daily abuse.

Just got off the phone w/ Red Wings and Steve indicated that Red Wings 2270 boots are resoleable. Yeah.

For the record, this has to be the best boots as far as comfort. My other great pair is Tony Llama but I bought them on sale and half a size smaller. While comfortable, they look too small and almost lady-like and have no steel toes. Tony Llama makes great shoes but they don't have stores and are not available at most boots stores in steel toes variants.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
If the soles are stitch down, rather than "glued Down", they should be recraftable.

The best way to determine, in advance, if these boots are recraftable, prior to buying them, is to call Red Wing boots and give them the model number. They will let you know for sure.

Problem is that many shoes appear to be stitch down but it's fake. A lot of cheaper shoes do this to appear expensive.

Check the stitching on the inside of the shoe versus the sole -- if they don't match, it's not a true stitch-down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back