Standard Motor Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Standard red box ingition control module for my Grand Prix because it was on close out at Rock.
I figured i would keep it for a spare or use it on a customer car or even ebay it later if it never gets used.

I did not buy the T series because they are known to be made in China but to my amazement this one is made in Hong Kong!
AFAIK Hong Kong is part of China.
One has to wonder if these parts are not identical and just in different boxes.The T series is almost the same price retail as the red box on close out but has a better guarantee.

I am thinking about sending it back and just buying one as needed probably OEM.
I just have a feeling Standard is playing games here reboxing the same part at higher prices at the consumers expense.

I ordered a SMP 'Blue Streak' distributor cap for my Honda from Rock. It is made in Japan and appears to be a high quality product. I would be leery of the 'economy' line.

I replaced the infamous LAF sensor to my VX for around $55 from S.M.P. and as it turns it was made in Japan and looks like the original replacement; before the L2H2 replacement that came out for the 94/95 models on through the Civic HX, the L1H1. At least that is what it had stamped on the sensor itself.

I understand companies make their product globally but the price of the "SMP Red Box" is substantially higher than their "Made in China" T Series or BWD line and that's my issue.
I only question the if there is any real difference if these things are coming from possibly/probably the same factory.

I looked at the BWD and T Series and can honestly see no visible difference from this Red Box version,that's not to say there is not some internal difference but there is no way to look at that.
If i bought the T or BWD and it had "Made in China on it there would be no problem because that's what i paid for and expected.

List on the Red Box is $290
T series approx $150
BWD approx $130

Hong Kong is now part of China...now that the British Lease has run out and it's been turned back over to them.

But it still is a unique economic zone - less government intervention than the rest of the country and still leads the world in real estate prices...

Now, if you aks the Chinese, they'll tell you that Taiwan is still part of China...the Taiwanese, of course, disagree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back