additive poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Well i usally don't use any BUT in stash i have...

MoS2
SLOB

Hey daman-

Any recent updates/comments on the MoS2?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

MoS2
SLOB

Hey daman-

Thanks!

No not really unfortunately what i should have done is added the MoS2 this summer because with the added idle time and winter fuel hard to say if i'm seeing any improvements in mileage.

i do like the stuff and glad i got a few cans and i do think it's a added plus for any oil to aide in wear/friction just haven't seen anything in mileage what i was hoping to see,but to be honest i haven't done a real close calculation either i have it in two cars my Grand Am and the kids Sunfire,i will add we've had some darn cold morns here -digits and the Sunfire sits out side and sometimes cranks a little slower but i haven't experienced that since the LB was added so i know it's doing something.

I use 4 ounces of Tufoil every oil change to the whatever oil I use.

For the fuel system I run 1 ounce of TC-W3 Marine 2 stroke oil for every 4 gallons of gasoline mixed with 3 ounces of Chevron Techron concentrated Fuel system cleaner or Gumout/Regane concentrated fuel system cleaner.

I also run a full bottle of Chevron Techron 12 ounce fuel system cleaner about every 4 tanks of gasoline sine there are no Chevron/Texaco stations in the NYC/NJ area.

I did a run of ARX once, still have a bottle in my shed that will probably not be used.... just wasn't impressed by the results.

A few months ago I added some Kreen for about 1.5k miles at the end of the OCI. I'm not sure how well it cleaned (only 35k miles, and always run synth oils), but I know it didn't seem to hurt anything.

As a comparison, my lawn mower always gets a dose of MMMO in the oil. This past summer I ran it with a dose of Kreen for a while too. That beast has run better in the past couple years using fuel and oil additives that it has since new.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

MoS2
SLOB

Hey daman-

Thanks!

No not really unfortunately what i should have done is added the MoS2 this summer because with the added idle time and winter fuel hard to say if i'm seeing any improvements in mileage.

i do like the stuff and glad i got a few cans and i do think it's a added plus for any oil to aide in wear/friction just haven't seen anything in mileage what i was hoping to see,but to be honest i haven't done a real close calculation either i have it in two cars my Grand Am and the kids Sunfire,i will add we've had some darn cold morns here -digits and the Sunfire sits out side and sometimes cranks a little slower but i haven't experienced that since the LB was added so i know it's doing something.

Thanks for the update.

In my current fill of Castrol GTX 5W-30, I've added approximately 10 oz of Fram Oil Treatment.

I've read other posters say it made their oil go really dark, presumably from cleaning, so I'm hoping to have that happen, too.

It also doesn't hurt that I got it for $2/quart, when most additives up here are $10+ for less than a quart....

None except ZDDP Plus in the Mustang, shifting to reduced amount of Cam-Shield; I have formed an opinion from two UOAs that I may have overachieved in that regard.

Techron or Regain in the gas 2/yr. No additives in the oil. I use synthetic oil, (best deal on sale) in both my Mazda and Hyundai. Hyundai is the new DI 2.4l engine so I'll let you know how that goes.FWIW--Oldtommy

I run maintenance doses of ether MMO or LubeControl in the oil, about 5 ounces every 1K miles or so , just for some extra cleaning. I've noticed the oil gets dirty faster with use of either, so they are scrubbing something in there. Once I run out of LC I likely won't be buying more, MMO is much cheaper while achieving similar results.

I have been using Lubro-Moly in my oil since I think there is a benefit since many of today's oil's are not using Moly as an additive in there oil.

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
I have been using Lubro-Moly in my oil since I think there is a benefit since many of today's oil's are not using Moly as an additive in there oil.

welcome2.gif
To Bitog PontiacFan! Lubro Moly MoS2 is gaining a lot of popularity here, it seems to be one of the better additives, and has a good following!

Originally Posted By: electrolover
myself, currently im running MMO for cleaning purposes. i look forward to trying kreen someday

kreen for cleaning
grin.gif

techron or regain in fuel every oc

Last edited:
Additives I currently use/have stashed:

MMO

I use it in the gas, sometimes in the oil during a cleanup interval, but only near the end of the OCI(no more than 500-1k miles) and as an aid to oil of choice while transitioning a used car over to synthetic of choice. Though, I suppose if I had sludge problems I'd use the 1QT MMO to the crankcase at the time of a fresh fill for several intervals, different interval drains.

LubroMoly MoS2

I have started using this in my Stratus, but not enough miles to notice a difference, yet. I'm hoping to reduce SOME oil consumption, as this car isn't driven much, while I also want to aid in reducing as much wear as possible. It's only driven 3k miles per year or so lately. Good additive for a great price, like MMO.

LubeGard Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant

Okay, I'm going to start calling it LG BT EP for short...

Anyway, I plan to begin using this during my next interval on the Civic. I hope it's like MoS2 but on steroids, in my dreams anyway. Will be having UOA of the Civic's Amsoil SSO without the LG which I'm currently running, and then after the same mileage/oil and LG added for the entire interval will post a UOA again.

Additives I have used in the past:

SeaFoam, occasionally, if a great deal can be found, I will use this in my gas. I did use it in the crankcase before, but would rather use something else like Amsoil Engine Flush if I haven't used anything during the interval for cleanup, but even that is only if my engine is relatively clean already. It won't help sludge etc.

Lucas UCL, my dad always uses it in the gas but I don't. I have before and only sometimes get the placebo 'effect' of better performance. Not sure if it's worth much, but I'm sure it does SOMETHING.

3M to the gas, a certain product of theirs, and afterward I had a ticking sound from one of my fuel injectors on an old car that afterward was totaled for cash, for a different reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back