Barium and Dioctyl as anti wear and/or friction reducer

Does anyone knows what is the common chemical substance for barium and dioctyl as anti wear and/or friction reducer in engine lubricants additives? Is it safe for long term use? Please advise.

Dioctyl is an incomplete chemical name. Simply means two eight carbon units but does not say what else is in the molecule. Be more complete, please.

Dioctyl is an incomplete chemical name. Simply means two eight carbon units but does not say what else is in the molecule. Be more complete, please.
Unfortunately I don't know the complete name of Dioctyl, is it supposed to be Dioctyl Dithiocarbamate or Dioctyl with sulphur and phospate like zddp?

Does anyone knows what is the common chemical substance for barium and dioctyl as anti wear and/or friction reducer in engine lubricants additives? Is it safe for long term use? Please advise.
Where did you find this? What lubricant?

Barium is usually in the form of Barium Sulfonate and is a rust and corrosion preventative, but has been removed from most formulations because of its heavy metal content and toxicity.

There are hundreds of dioctyl-based compounds. As Boomer stated we can't determine the complete compound or usage without more info.

A version of dioctyldiphenylamine is used as an antioxidant in jet engine oils and ATF's.

Last edited:
I read on Ezi Power Lube engine oil additive msds (screenshot of the document attached). I know it's not the exact recipe when we talk about msds but the substance definitely there

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103_213629_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_213629_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240103_213646_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_213646_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 15
I read on Ezi Power Lube engine oil additive msds (screenshot of the document attached). I know it's not the exact recipe when we talk about msds but the substance definitely there
The post above makes it clear - there are hundreds of dioctyl compounds. Posting the MSDS with the word dioctyl has not reduced the possibilities among those hundreds one tiny bit. Until you gain some more information on which of those hundreds of dioctyls is in this, you’re wasting everyone’s time, including your own.

Perhaps look at it this way: if you knew a Lego model had bricks of eight, but didn’t know how they’re arranged, or what other bricks were present, you don’t know what you’ve got. Could be a pile of bricks. Could be the Millennium Falcon. But knowing the “bricks of eight” doesn’t narrow it down until you know what those bricks are stuck to, and how they’re stuck together.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding to this thread, luckily the information about Barium from Molakule is adequate for me. I'm truthfully sorry for the inconveniences may occur regarding my question about dioctyl.

Thank you for responding to this thread, luckily the information about Barium from Molakule is adequate for me. I'm truthfully sorry for the inconveniences may occur regarding my question about dioctyl.
Some terms or phrases in the MSDS should set off alarms immediately because they are nonsensical, vague, and ambiguous, as are most of the OTS additives from Thailand and elsewhere.

For example:

Metal Treatment - a metal treatment is when you subject metal to a heat treatment cycle or a forging process to change the alloy's crystalline structure. No external chemical treatment can do this.

Metal Conditioner - Conditions it how? Why does it need conditioning? Can I use my Suave Hair Conditioning cream instead? See above.

Anti-friction Treatment
Anti-Friction Modifier
Friction Modifier - ok so what is it, An FM or an anti-FM?

So I hope you see the silliness and the obfuscation printed on these labels.

Better to ask questions before you use it rather than use it and ask: Will this harm my engine or will it offer any advantages after the fact?

Last edited:
Back