Adding Redline Water Wetter to Amsoil Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read something tonight on another forum about some magic chemistry when combining AMSOIL Antifreeze with Redline Water Wetter. Anyone else heard of this?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Amsoil now makes a similar product to water wetter called Dominator coolant boost.
Never tried it though.

Understood but are they similar enough? This individual was very specific about adding Water Wetter to Amsoil's coolant and that there was some specific chemistry between the two. I felt that it was significant that the combination was from two different companies. The individual was obviously not trying to promote products from any one company.

You don't want a link. It was a forum posting buried in the middle of a monster thread on overheating engines in a Subaru SVX. I posted everything the guy said. You are hearing it third hand. Supposedly there is something special about Water Wetter added to Amsoil coolant. He didn't have the details but said there was something special about the chemistry. That's all he posted and all I know as well.

I was hoping someone here would have heard the same thing or something similar. Maybe it has to do with the ester based wetting agent in Redline's Water Wetter being added to a Propylene Glycol coolant.

a guy I know runs distilled water and 2 bottles of WW in his 05 Civic Si, and he swears by it. No rust in his system, no corrosion, and the motor doesn't overheat.

But putting it in with antifreeze.. I don't believe it does anything. I do know, it causes some brown sludge buildup because I've seen it in my new car and my 2 overflow bottles are scummy and I can't keep 'em clean.

Originally Posted By: EricF
a guy I know runs distilled water and 2 bottles of WW in his 05 Civic Si, and he swears by it. No rust in his system, no corrosion, and the motor doesn't overheat.

But putting it in with antifreeze.. I don't believe it does anything. I do know, it causes some brown sludge buildup because I've seen it in my new car and my 2 overflow bottles are scummy and I can't keep 'em clean.

That is funny, I have used Water Wetter and never had that problem and never seen that problem with anyone I know who has used it.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

That is funny, I have used Water Wetter and never had that problem and never seen that problem with anyone I know who has used it.

Happened in my brand new 1996 Volvo 850. Boy did I feel like an idiot. Volvo dealer said they never saw anything like it and gave me a new coolant overflow container.

Brown scum with Redline water wetter is very common:

http://www.google.com/search?q=brown+scum+with+water+wetter

http://www.google.com/search?q=scum+with+water+wetter

As far as "Adding Redline Water Wetter to Amsoil Coolant" sounds like a myth to me......

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Happened in my brand new 1996 Volvo 850. Boy did I feel like an idiot. Volvo dealer said they never saw anything like it and gave me a new coolant overflow container.

Brown scum with Redline water wetter is very common

It depends on the coolant it is being added to, the acidity level of the coolant/water mix and the amount or concentration of the Water Wetter. Amsoil's product will do the same thing if used in the same way.

Originally Posted By: Huskymaniac

It depends on the coolant it is being added to, the acidity level of the coolant/water mix and the amount or concentration of the Water Wetter. Amsoil's product will do the same thing if used in the same way.

Myself and others followed directions to the T withe the Water Weter. Never seen or heard Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost do this, I'll be on the lookout.

WW has surficants and also some inhibitors which I think are OAT based and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not 2EHA.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Waste of money...

+1

Water wetter was designed for racing where the rules do not allow the use of of standard coolant because if the coolant got on the track it would become slippery and cause an unsafe condition. Water Wetter and coolant will not offer a normal street vehicle any significant benefit. If someone is already using Amsoil coolant, you don't need WW.

The water wetter will not cool your engine any more than temperature of your thermostat. If the thermostat stays closed until the coolant reaches 200*F then the water wetter won't make the engine run less than 200*F regardless of how well the WW works. If you do a lot of towing or your cooling system is taxed, then it may help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Waste of money...

+1

Water wetter was designed for racing where the rules do not allow the use of of standard coolant because if the coolant got on the track it would become slippery and cause an unsafe condition. Water Wetter and coolant will not offer a normal street vehicle any significant benefit. If someone is already using Amsoil coolant, you don't need WW.

The water wetter will not cool your engine any more than temperature of your thermostat. If the thermostat stays closed until the coolant reaches 200*F then the water wetter won't make the engine run less than 200*F regardless of how well the WW works. If you do a lot of towing or your cooling system is taxed, then it may help.

The thing is, I don't know how taxed my cooling system is. The car is known to have headgasket problems with age so I suspect it is taxed a bit. It has a 170F thermostat located after the radiator and before the water pump. The ECU reports temperatures as high as 206F. I'm not sure how much heat the coolant gets between the thermostat location and the location of the temp sensor which is located on the top of the block, in the back on the driver's side. The thermostat and pump are on the bottom of the block, in the front near center. Supposedly this thermostat if full open at 194F. So maybe it isn't fully open and the coolant is picking up more than 12F worth of heat. Or maybe it is fully open and the engine just gets pretty hot when doing city driving. If it is the latter case, I would benefit from water wetter. If it is the former, then not so much. I guess one way to find out would be to put a lower temp thermostat in and see if the temperature drops. If it does, I know my tstat was not running full open. if it doesn't drop, then both tstats had to have been running fully open.

Another side to the story about these coolant additives is some of them [i assume they are all basically the same], state that they reduce warm up time in the vehicle.

Now... aside from the roaring questions about do they sludge stuff up. That's almost worth the extra 10 bucks or whatever. To me at least.

AMIRIGHT?

I'd love to see some empirical data on the decreased warm up time. I can picture it, in theory. Again - I doubt much change with standard street coolant/antifreeze mixed 50/50.

ill do some digging. But it still begs the question... does it gunk up coolant.

I guess the only real way to test that is to put some in jars and heat them up and cool them down many times?

I used WW in my FF of Dexcool for 5 years. I did a drain/refill of 10 quarts last year and it looked clean as a whistle.

I've never seen it sludge anything up, but some have posted that it has for them. I can only assume it is dependent upon 1) if the cooling system was serviced according to manufacturer recommendation, 2) if WW is compatible with some antifreeze chemistry but not others, or 3) vehicle application. Maybe a combination of either or all.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I used WW in my FF of Dexcool for 5 years. I did a drain/refill of 10 quarts last year and it looked clean as a whistle.

I've never seen it sludge anything up, but some have posted that it has for them. I can only assume it is dependent upon 1) if the cooling system was serviced according to manufacturer recommendation, 2) if WW is compatible with some antifreeze chemistry but not others, or 3) vehicle application. Maybe a combination of either or all.

Just curious, did you notice any [even placebo] of the vehicle coming to optemp faster? Or keeping cool under stress/hot days?

I see the stuff sold along side VAGs Gxx coolants on nearly every OE/OEM parts store; online or brick and mortar. So i assume its safe. Just curious about its worth even if just placebo.

I dont buy into the whole 'it's for racing'. Only because the argument is.... 'It's not going to do anything for a normal 50/50 coolant/water application because its for race applications where the track has a ban on coolant.' This to me is implying that 50/50 does a better job than water. Therefore these straight water applications need a little boost.

Now these race applications may in fact need a little boost just because of the load and heat produced. But, water alone will more efficiently cool than a 50/50. Coolant takes away from the waters efficiency.

So it sort of nulls that argument... at least to me.

I hope i articulated this well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back