Ethylene glycol mixed with universal - coolant tester still work?

I have a couple applications - 65 GTO with aluminum radiator, 72 Chevy K10 and 97 Jeep TJ with stock radiators, that use traditional green coolant. Looks like the old green stuff is being slowly replaced on the shelf with universal coolants. My question is this - can I still use my old Prestone coolant tester to get the right mix, or will the newer universal stuff throw off the tester? Basically, I'm wondering if the tester only works for ethylene glycol-based coolants.

Maybe I should just drain and fill with the 50/50 premix universal stuff, I dunno.

While we are at it, does Water Wetter work and if so, does it matter what kind of coolant you use it with?

I don't think that your old coolant tester is any more ancient than the new ones made today. I still have the same one from...Oh IDK, 40 yrs ago!? And I still use it to check the freeze/boil protection of modern coolants, which is all these tester do anyway. And you can visually see the cloudiness & sediments in your coolant. But they don't tell the true condition of you coolant which is why we change our coolant on a regular basis as I am sure that you do also. (y)

As-far-as "Water Wetter"? I've never needed it myself however, If you have a vehicle that is special to you, runs hotter than normal or you track your vehicle then maybe it helps, IDK! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Regarding the tester, most concentrated coolants are 80-100% ethylene glycol and have been for a long time. Here is the material safety data sheet for Prestone 10 year coolant. Maybe send them a note to ask if your older coolant tester is still accurate for it.

2B2F4605-C125-460A-8212-2200D67FB2C3.jpg

Most coolants are still Ethylene Glycol based.
Maybe 40 years ago they were propylene glycol?
But there are different testers for each as they have different density curves.
I'd mix 50/50 in small bottle and see if it registers what you'd expect before relying on it.

As far as water wetter, it serves very little purpose in an application with fully formulated coolant and can have counter productive chemistry in some instances.

I don't think that your old coolant tester is any more ancient than the new ones made today. I still have the same one from...Oh IDK, 40 yrs ago!? And I still use it to check the freeze/boil protection of modern coolants, which is all these tester do anyway. And you can visually see the cloudiness & sediments in your coolant. But they don't tell the true condition of you coolant which is why we change our coolant on a regular basis as I am sure that you do also. (y)

As-far-as "Water Wetter"? I've never needed it myself however, If you have a vehicle that is special to you, runs hotter than normal or you track your vehicle then maybe it helps, IDK! 🤷‍♂️

I used Water Wetter in a couple of my Chevelles years ago. There is another one that works well also called Hyper-Lube I also used
in the 80s. Probably still have bottle or two in the garage.

Most coolants are still Ethylene Glycol based.
Maybe 40 years ago they were propylene glycol?
I did not know that! I kinda remember the propylene glycol stuff but it sounds like HOAT and OAT coolants are also based on ethylene glycol?

Back