Adding Redline Water Wetter to Amsoil Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the winter, my heater blows warmer air at normal operating temps. Temp gauge stays the same...more btu's released by the heater core. Me warm and toasty in the winter is priceless.

So, whether its for racing or not, whether its for straight water or 50:50, whether you think it works or not,.... it keeps me warm.

Originally Posted By: Huskymaniac
Originally Posted By: Pablo
There is a little data here:

https://www.amsoil.com/news/2011_january...old_weather.pdf

So the Amsoil antifreeze doesn't have all three surfactants?

It does. Read the verbiage.

So you wouldn't suggest adding the Amsoil water wetter to the Amsoil coolant?

Sorry - MY BAD. I misread your initial question. Amsoil ANTIFREEZE has some surfactants but not the level in Amsoil Dominator. So there is some benefit to using the two together and they are compapatible. My apologies.

There is a little data here:

https://www.amsoil.com/news/2011_january...old_weather.pdf

So the Amsoil antifreeze doesn't have all three surfactants?

It does. Read the verbiage.

So you wouldn't suggest adding the Amsoil water wetter to the Amsoil coolant?

Semi-related.

I personally feel, going on the assumption these additives do help. The effectiveness of each brand's specific additive is going to be pretty even across the board. I just don't see one being the end all be all of coolant additives.

I have no scientific data, though i suspect they are all the same chemicals..... or what have you.

Originally Posted By: Kaie
Originally Posted By: bigmike
I used WW in my FF of Dexcool for 5 years. I did a drain/refill of 10 quarts last year and it looked clean as a whistle.

I've never seen it sludge anything up, but some have posted that it has for them. I can only assume it is dependent upon 1) if the cooling system was serviced according to manufacturer recommendation, 2) if WW is compatible with some antifreeze chemistry but not others, or 3) vehicle application. Maybe a combination of either or all.

Just curious, did you notice any [even placebo] of the vehicle coming to optemp faster? Or keeping cool under stress/hot days?

I see the stuff sold along side VAGs Gxx coolants on nearly every OE/OEM parts store; online or brick and mortar. So i assume its safe. Just curious about its worth even if just placebo.

I dont buy into the whole 'it's for racing'. Only because the argument is.... 'It's not going to do anything for a normal 50/50 coolant/water application because its for race applications where the track has a ban on coolant.' This to me is implying that 50/50 does a better job than water. Therefore these straight water applications need a little boost.

Now these race applications may in fact need a little boost just because of the load and heat produced. But, water alone will more efficiently cool than a 50/50. Coolant takes away from the waters efficiency.

So it sort of nulls that argument... at least to me.

I hope i articulated this well.

According to Redline:

* Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
* Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
* Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
* Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
* Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
* Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
* Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
* Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature

I've made quite a few comments on WW in previous threads. I have no verifiable proof that it does do what is claimed, other than I've never had any heating/cooling issues, and it didn't do anything negative to the cooling system.

I can only assume the surfactants help. I've read enough documentation on the subject to conclude that it probably does.

For more reading, check:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1800724&page=1

Pablo: Do you think it would reduce coolant temps a bit in hot ambient temps (110F+) in very slow off-road driving? Currently using Amsoil antifreeze (50-50 mix) and last year it was OK at 225F+ in this situation, but looking for all the safety margin possible when the t-stat is full open (which is 212F on this engine).

Anyone have first hand experience?

I've had Water wetter in my 07 Honda Civic Si for about 50k now. Everything is clean inside the reservoir.

I can't note anything on engine performance wise because i installed the WW before i got an engine management unit that allows me to monitor all engine parameters. It is however, running a few degrees cooler then my Friends Si without WW.

Who knows.

I've had the brown oily stuff form when using watter wetter with Dexcool. It gets dissolved back into solution when the coolant gets hot. Looks nasty but I don't think it harms anything. As far as seeing a coolant temp change. I did not others including an article out there in cyber space reports fairly large temp reductions. Not sure if they are measuring coolant temp or temp of the cylinder head (or what not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back