not impressed: K&N oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up the K&N oil filter at AAP during a oil+filter sale.

Love the solid can, socket on the end, feel of quality.

Think I put 5-30 Valvoline Synthetic in the 02 MDX when I installed the filter. Car has startup rattle every day, just like when I used to use the orange cans year ago.

I love the AAP sales-- and watch for them-- like purolator, M1, bosch filters. Will from now on NOT take advantage of the sale if it's bundled with the K&N.

M

it will happen at the end of the oci. should be pretty soon.

agreed, could be something else, type of oil, etc.. so a change will give more data. Was just rather surprising!

M

Yes, post the vehicle as well. It could be a combination of the vehicle and the filter, it could be one bad filter, or who knows?

Then swap for another brand filter. I had a similar issue with a FRAM, and swapped for a purolator which fixed the problem.

If you're like me, you want that noise gone!

On my Ford 4.6L V8, I get the noise no matter what filter I use. I think it's just the nature of the beast. But it's now at 129K miles and solid as a rock.

My Mark VIII does it too. I have been told to try Motorcraft filters but I haven't had a chance yet.

The K&N ADBV is suspect for me. I tried 2 of them and both failed before 1000 miles. Start-up noises developed even on 70F summer mornings. I don't think I'll try anymore of them. PureOne filters have been reliable for me though over the last 7 or so years.

They seem to have a problem with the ADBV. I've read this issue a lot with K&N and Mobil 1 filters. But not everybody has an issue so I don't know what's up.

I like the filter design and media, but I almost can never find one where the ADBV seems to be sealing when I blow into the thread hole on the new one's on the shelf. Puros seem to shut tight 99% of the time.

My dad ran them for YEARS (like 8 years) on his Expedition without any noise. I've recently switched him to Motorcraft because of the price difference.

Been running M1 filters for a long time and my Accord V6 is not perfectly smooth on start up.It is perfectly smooth when it warms. Think I'll try a P1 on the next change to see if it seems smoother/same/rougher. I'll report here in March '11. I didn't like the construction of the K & N when I compared it to the M1.

This has been an issue for many people for years and it is time they fix it.
Let's all email [email protected] and see if they will improve the ADBV.
I did.

It's a great filter except for that one issue that makes it unusable for many folks.

I'm curious,do some of you guys have,absolutely no,slight, fluid "noise"on initial startup? I thought that was normal.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I'm curious,do some of you guys have,absolutely no,slight, fluid "noise"on initial startup? I thought that was normal.

No.
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
K&N = Mobil 1 I think.

Yes.

I've been a long time user of both K&N HP-1002 and Mobil 1-102 oil filters in a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The same filters I use on a 1997 V6 4Runner that never rattles on subfreezing temps like the V8 does.

I've always had that distinct rattle that lasts less than a few seconds only on frigid mornings when using the K&N and Mobil 1 regardless of what oil was in the Sequoia.
Until....

I switched over to a Fram Extended Guard and miraculously the cold start-up rattle went away in the Sequoia. So as much as possible I only use the K&N and Mobil 1 filters in the 4Runner.

Try a different filter and it may work better for your application.

When the Sequoia is due for an oil change I'll be trying a Bosch Distance Plus.

I took part in the one of the AAP OC specials with the K&N filter. I never cared much for their filters I think I'll return the filter.

I got a K&N as part of an AZ oil change deal, with GC.
IIRC, $26.99 for the filter and five qts Syntec.
Got the filter to fit the Subaru, ran it, and it seemed to do just fine.
I'm pretty sure it isn't really worth the regular retail price, but you could stock up on either the K&N or the M1 at AAP using one of their 40% off discount codes online, giving you a decent deal on either, if they are the oil filters you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back