Put 5W20 instead of 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may make you feel better, my E430 oil spec'd is M1 0W40, German Castrol and others that have minimum HTHS of 3.5. I had been using xW20(PP, Synpower, M1) for more than 2 years. The engine is much quieter, acceleration is faster, coolant is reaching operating temperature quicker but at 5-10F lower, gas mileage is up by about more than 3%, up to 8-10% in some long trips.

The coolant was about 6-15F lower when I was passing Death Valley to Vegas in summer at triple digits speed, the engine seemed to have more power when I went up the steep hills at Death Valley in summer, accelerated from 70MPH to 120+MPH was effortlessly with thinner oil.

If dr haas can put ow20 in a ferrari. U can put it in a vq! Lol but really, I would just run it for that oci. I'm sure no harm will be done. My vote is to keep it in!

Originally Posted By: ahoier
the 5W-20 should do fine for his vehicle.

Check the owner's manual for the vehicle, or the oil filler cap. A lot of "newer" vehicles are spec'ing the lower weight oil due to smaller clearances; allows the oil to travel faster through the engine and to keep everything lubed up.

I'd only change it out if you started noticing strange noises....but you should be fine with that oil, no problem especially for that short OCI.....

Also, keep in mind, YES; we (I as well) are in Florida...but this time of year we tend to get some cool temperatures and cold fronts that swing through....

My vote: Keep it in.

For [censored] and giggles, you could get a used oil analysis done at the end of the OCI and see how that Edge fared in the vehicle.

For all you know it could be your new best friend, errr, oil of choice; or at least for that vehicle anyhow
smile.gif

Heh, I dont think he will run an UOA, but like my VQ35DE his VQ35HR wants 5W-30

Dude AEHaas runs 0w20 in his Lamborghini and his Maybach and both are spec'd for heavier oil. As long as your friend don't do any serious racing at sustained high temps you will be absolutely fine for this interval. I think if you are really really worried change the filter and top off with the heaviest Castrol Edge you can find. Maybe a quart of 5w40 or half quart. Otherwise don't sweat it!

Does your friend do a lot of high-speed highway driving? If it's mostly around town and short highway runs I would leave it but if he's going to do extended highway driving then change it or mix it. Here's why I say this:

I have a Geo Prizm and the Chilton manual shows a chart of all the weights. 5W-30 is recommended by GM, however, the Chilton manual shows 20 grades acceptable at lower temperatures (
If it makes you feel better, run to the auto parts store and see if they have a Chilton or Haynes manual for a VQ car and see if you see a chart like this. Even some owners manual show temp. ranges for different viscosities.

Last edited:
I called my friend up let him know whats up, He did not really want to hear anything. He just heard " not the right grade"

I went and bought some castol Syntec 5W-30 at the 24hour walmart. They did not have edge which was weird, but He is coming over now so we can change it.

Ill throw in a free interior detail lol.

Edge and 3,750 miles? Keep it in!

No worries. Seriously.

Go have a beer (or two) and watch an NFL game before they have a lockout next season.

Cheers!

Hey, just because you drain it doesn't mean you have to toss it. Drain it and store it in a good clean container, I'm sure you can find another use for it. Put in your 5W-30 and be done with it
smile.gif

Highly unlikely it will hurt anything, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. But that's just me, I like oils a little on the thicker side. Probably no advantage to thicker oil in most situations other than making me feel better, and that's enough of a reason for me.

So as not to be TOO wasteful with such an expensive synthetic oil, I'd drain off a liter or so an top it back off with 50 grade of the same type, and keep it to a shorter OCI.

Could be a good lesson for your friend that you can't just grab whatever is on the shelf? Gotta be a little more careful.

^ Ha, he said he will be checking it 100% time now, every time he gets an oil change. I told him I was stupid too and never looked at it. We both dun goofed :x

I dont have any other car that would use 5W-20 though, so Ill prob just end up tossing it lol.

Thank god for 24 hour walmarts :p

He came, the new oil with only 50miles on it was brown already, I guess it cleaned out the old oil from carmax ha.

I had some left over LED bulbs and gave him two for his Plates, he was happy and was not really mad about it all. So all went well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
oh and the best part is, I can sleep
laugh.gif

Do you realize how lucky you are?
No other worries than motor oil...
By the way , i would have kept it, 4000 miles on 5W20 wouldn't hurt anything. And i am a thick guy.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
good choice IMO. The VQ motors like thicker oil.

Says what? That's everyone says, but I've yet to see any evidence support that statement.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
drain it dont damage thst motor. those motors seem to like the heavier of the 30 weight

Please beleive me when I say that I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this...I have asked this question before; what does this mean? I also have heard that Nissan engines, 2.5 4 cyl and 3.5 V6 like heavier weight oils. What do people mean? Better/less ware UOA's? Quieter/less timing chain noise? Less oil consumption? What?
I have used in my Altime 2.5s...5W30, 10W30, combo 5W30/10W30, combo 10W30/10W40 summer and combo 5W20/5W30 winter. Have Not used all by them selves, 5W20 or 10W40 alone! I still have timeing chanin noise in the colder temps and no oil consumption ever.

Truth is it won't hurt anything, however if you feel bad drain it into a clean container and use it for make up oil, or for another vehicle. Don't change the filter, the little bit of 5W20 in there isn't going to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back