Pre-winter maintenance on 2008 xB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody,

I am trying to prepare my car for our wonderful NE winters, and my car is approaching 50K. I have some brand new snow tires to mount this season when the white stuff starts falling, and looking into some other minor items to check/replace just as precaution/normal maintenance.

I am going to replace the PCV valve tomorrow, along with cleaning the MAF sensor (first time doing either). I was also wondering about when you would need to clean the Intake Manifold? Should I just wait until 75-100K to do this, or should it be something I check up on more often?

Anything else should I take a look at? I plan to check the CV joints and brakes and such in the next week or two. Spark Plugs were checked and good to go.

What are some other things to give a look-see to? This is on a 2008 Scion XB with the 2AZ-FE motor.

Appreciate your help/assistance.

-Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

I would NOT clean the MAF unless you have problems with it. I've never touched mine (or really any one) and I have 186k miles on my Toyota.

The PCV should be checked and possibly replaced.

CV boots should be looked at EVERY oil change. Once they crack and open damage is quick. Brakes every 15-30k depending on how much you use them. Rotate tires? Check wiper blades? How about all the bulbs? Make sure you have your winter kit with you and its full!

Take care, bill

I cleaned the maf with some CRC maf cleaner at about 40,000 miles. Made no difference. It's an odd snorkel type maf, so maybe google a picture so you know what to expect. It apparently was perfectly clean, though it's easy enough to do.

Spark plugs and everything else should be fine, but a good time of year to look around before your tools get cold.

An 08? You're good to go.

I would just check the battery terminals for corrosion, if there isn't any, slop some grease on top of them to keep oxygen away.

Make sure your donut spare is aired up.

I read that many people seem to clean the MAF as every 30-50K so that is why it was on my list "to do". But if many here think its not needed, I will just skip it.

The PVC valve I will replace tomorrow since I will be at the dealer and pick one up.. Only a few bucks, why not.

I will def take a good look at the CV boots and such at my next oil change. The dealer may be doing that tomorrow since I am taking it in for some weird noises I am hearing from my steering wheel (not from front end, just the steering wheel). So they may check under to make sure nothing is up with the steering components.

Wipers, battery and spark plugs all set to go. Brand new winter tires going on when snow starts to fall (first time with snow tires, excited!). Tire donut is all pressured up. Should I use any electrical grease for the battery terminals? (Those little packets at auto-zone? I think they have little lightbulbs on them).

Appreciate your help guys, thanks again.

Last edited:
Touch up any rust spots, or get some rustproofing to spray on. You'll be glad in a few years.

Wiper blades
De-icer in the windshield washer tank
Change oil
Top off all fluids
Lube up weatherstripping
Kick back and enjoy the fall!

IIRC the steering wheel wierd noises usually relate to electric power steering.

The battery packet grease is great but seriously a little dab of vaseline will do as well.

You can get half a teaspoon of battery grease for $.99 at autozone or a tub of petroleum jelly at dollar tree for $1.

Or any other grease, or even rustoleum spray paint. If you need a jump it scrapes off.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Touch up any rust spots, or get some rustproofing to spray on. You'll be glad in a few years.

Wiper blades
Change oil
Top off all fluids
Lube up weatherstripping

Pretty much this. I'd also make sure you have emergency supplies in the trunk, that the spare tire is full, etc.

Change the oil and start using a synthetic(if you are not currently doing so). The synthetic is far superior in terms of cold start protection than ANY conventional oil.
Enjoy that Scion; they are neat vehicles!

I would also check the freeze point of my coolant and load test the battery. Belts and hoses too.

Replacing parts in the winter is no fun even with a heated garage. Dirty ice water dripping in my ear while wrestling a belt tensioner is no fun...

Don't forget to pack a emergency kit ex: blanket, small shovel, high calorie food, candle and matches, fix-a-flat, washer fluid, jumpers, and well you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Wiper blades
Change oil
Top off all fluids
Lube up weatherstripping

I need to re-install the wiper blades on my cars, they were removed because of no rain from May until now. That is all my winter maintenance.

When I was in Minnesota long time ago I did most of everything mentioned above, from battery to oil to snow tires ...

Cleaning the MAF is a good idea - it's very good maintenance. But use dedicated real MAF cleaner. It leaves no residue. Electrical cleaners and brake cleaners can.
If you clean your manifold , do it perfectly or don't touch it at all!
What WILL help is to clean your throttle body bore and plate really well. solvent and a rag manually works well.

Locks and hinges should be lubed before winter [also during]. A light lube like WD40 works well, as do many others.

Battery and cables? Give them a more than casual look-see.
Are your vents clear? No leaves or debris? you need good flow for good heat and defroster action.

Seems like some clean the MAF while others steer clear from it. Not sure what I will do, but probably just not touch it. What do you guys feel about cleaning the throttle body?

I just got back from the dealer and while looking at my steering wheel problem (which they said is the steering wheel shaft is wearing. They lubed it and said if it gets worse replacement is $2500... Anyway, I contacted Scion corporate due to warranty reasons so hopefully not paying that), they said they checked the tie rods and CV joints and all look great. I may lube my brake sliding pins while I put on my winter wheels this year, what is a good lube for this?

I also just replaced the PVC valve just now and the original inside, still sounded good, but was heavier. So prob has some gunk inside. Took me two minutes to replace, cost me $7 from the dealer for the valve.

All looks good though, and I appreciate all the help. Hopefully others can use this as a winter guide as well :D

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Seems like some clean the MAF while others steer clear from it. Not sure what I will do, but probably just not touch it. What do you guys feel about cleaning the throttle body?

I just got back from the dealer and while looking at my steering wheel problem (which they said is the steering wheel shaft is wearing. They lubed it and said if it gets worse replacement is $2500... Anyway, I contacted Scion corporate due to warranty reasons so hopefully not paying that), they said they checked the tie rods and CV joints and all look great. I may lube my brake sliding pins while I put on my winter wheels this year, what is a good lube for this?

I also just replaced the PVC valve just now and the original inside, still sounded good, but was heavier. So prob has some gunk inside. Took me two minutes to replace, cost me $7 from the dealer for the valve.

All looks good though, and I appreciate all the help. Hopefully others can use this as a winter guide as well :D

$2500 to replace the shaft?! You could practically do an entire front end replacement for that. Oh dealerships- glad to know that good, old-fashioned piracy is still alive in the 21st century.

Oh, and if it's time to change your oil, use the lightest weight synthetic your owner's manual allows.

-Techniker

Already running PU 5w20, but I ran PP 0W20 last winter. Too bad Ultra is not doing so hot (from what I hear) I would LOVE a 0W20. 5W20 is just so, thick...
27.gif

M1 0w-20 at Pep Boys or Advance for about $30 with M1 filter...

Also an oil pan heater if you can plug your car in at night. That'll help with winter FE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back