The "Donut" & "Starburst" Symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference, basically, between the API “Donut” symbol and “Starburst” symbol?

My understanding is this: The “Starburst Icon” is a certification mark, whereas, the “Donut Icon” is a service symbol. The “Donut” indicates the “API Service Category”, i.e. SJ, SL, SM or CH-4, CI-4…etc., and whether the oil is “Energy Conserving” or not. The “Starburst” is a stamp that indicates the oil’s “ILSAC Specification”, i.e. GF-3, GF-4…etc., and that API has certified the oil for use in gasoline engines. Only if an oil carries the “Starburst” can it rightly be called “API-certified”.

Many more carry the Donut than the Donut & Starburst together. In order to qualify to display the “Starburst”, are the requirements more stringent, i.e. ILSAC standards are tougher, than just to qualify for the “Donut” alone?

Correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks.

Good info on API's web site here.

Further info on API's site here.

(EDIT) Although it sounds like you may have already read that info. I guess I should have read your message more closely prior to posting.

AndyH,

Thanks, great info. there.

Having confirmed that the "Starburst" is a "Certification Mark", would it be right to consider/call only oils with the "Starburst" "API-certified"?

What does one call an oil with only the "Donut"? "API-licensed"?

AndyH,

I've read only the Directory of EOCLS Licensees. Have yet to browse other areas of the website.

Thanks, you saved me the trouble.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back