TBN/TAN CrossOver in UOA-- What Does It Tell Us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was reading the Lubrizol HyperZDP Report and came across an interesting graph on page 16:

http://www.gf-5.com/uploads/File/Hyper_ZDP_System_Powerpoint.pdf

It shows that the TBN/TAN crossover for both reference oils, with or without HyperZDP, is around 3,400 miles.

At one point, I recall one "expert" on this site mention that once an used oil's TAN value exceeds TBN, it means the lubricant is at or nearing the end of its service life.

I have learned from two studies for diesel oils that the crossover point for TBN/TAN is indicative of when acids in the engine will begin to significantly increase and there have been past links between corrosive wear and strong acid presence in oil:

Quote:
Determination of service interval with respect to
TBN/TAN levels using this method can be attributed to
the intersection of the two corresponding levels. This
intersection has been chosen empirically, however it
can be seen from Figure 1 that after the intersection of
the two values the plateau level of the TAN begin to
significantly increase as the levels of strong acids
within the oil rapidly increase.

It is therefore suggested that the presence of a low
rate of increase in TAN is therefore indicative of
adequate engine protection from corrosive effects of
strong acids. Whether this intersection absolutely
correlates to the point at where a critical increase in
corrosive wear takes place is beyond the scope of this
work, however, from the understanding of the nature of
acid and base ionic species within the oil it can be
suggested that the level of corrosive wear will be linked
to the concentration of strong acids available within the
oil.

The maximum service interval capability from the
vehicle for Oil D is 11,500km (figure1) and the
TAN/TBN intersection is 3 mgKOH-1. Operation of the
dynamometer test generates an intersection at the same
TAN/TBN level (figure 2), occurring at 70 hours. This
suggests a relationship between the oil behaviour on the
dynamometer cycle and that observed in the vehicle
test.

A relationship can also be seen, in the vehicle trial,
between the fresh oil TBN value and maximum drain
capability determined by the intersection of the TAN
and TBN values (figure 3). This indicates that the
primary factor involved in drain capability when using
high sulphur fuels is the TBN of the fresh oil. However,
this does not suggest there is no effect from the TBN
retention quality of the oil, which requires further
investigation.

CONCLUSION
This study highlights a relationship between fresh
oil TBN and drain capability when using high sulphur
fuels and that the TAN/TBN intersection is a justified
metric for determining the maximum drain capability of
an oil in high sulphur fuel areas.

It can also be concluded that there exists a potential
relationship between the dynamometer cycle and a
typical vehicle drive cycle with respect to TAN/TBN
and high sulphur fuel. This conclusion generates the
need for further investigation to determine whether
differing abilities of oils for TBN retention is also a
contributory factor and whether this is reflected when
using different oil qualities.

Another study also presented a similar opinion:

Quote:
(TAN) and total base number (TBN) measurements were used to track the change in acidity of the fluids using the RULER method and ASTM Standard Test Methods D664 and D4739. Normally, the rate of depletion of the additives is an indication of end of oil life. This is indicated by a crossover of the TAN and TBN values.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...LcOQDFk4qCZJT3w

On the other hand, another study highlights in its conclusion that TBN/TAN crossover is not a reliable indicator of relative lubricant performance:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2008/session10/deer08_watson.pdf

So here are my questions:

1) Is the information in those studies applicable to gasoline applications?

2) Considering that fuel quality has been noted to be a concern in the US, is sulphur responsible for poor fuel quality in the US?

3) Is TBN/TAN crossover a reliable indicator of when lubricant performance will begin to deteriorate, and corrosive wear will begin to take place?

4) Could Mobil 1's high iron readings be related to corrosive wear taking place due to users running their oil until TAN values far exceed TBN remaining?

5) From the Lubrizol study, it showed a TBN/TAN crossover point of around 3400 miles. So is that a safe, conservative interval for most conventional oils?

Thanks!

From what I have gained from Terry and my own readings... Here are my answers:

1) Yes

2) Yes and also the lack of cleaning additives (with the exception of Top-Tier Fuel having the greater amounts of cleaning additives)

3) Yes as most things in the oil go down hill when this takes place

4) IMO no I have seen high Fe readings in oil that looks "un-touched" in terms of additive package/TBN/TAN numbers. I have tried to tell everyone it's the chemical make up of the oil reacting with the Iron surfaces creating a type of Iron residue which throws off the UOA numbers and not cause for concern but as always people are convinced otherwise and can show me undisputed proof that engines are failing left/right/center.
smirk2.gif

5) No everyone's has different conditions placed upon the oil due to engine design, fuel used, driving patters, climate and oil make up that all affect the outcome of the used oil UOA.

Good questions!

cheers3.gif

Steve

Last edited:
Yes as long as you take into account where the TAN/TBN start and how much each has changed it does apply... I guess I should have been more clear above.

Here's another tidbit of info I got from an analyst at Wearcheck:

"General rule of thumb is when the TAN is 80% of the TBN, the oil should be changed."

They use ASTM D2896 to test for TBN though.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Yes as long as you take into account where the TAN/TBN start and how much each has changed it does apply... I guess I should have been more clear above.

Heh, well you mentioned that in the thread I linked so no harm done.

Interesting, I remember that thread. However, that is applicable to ester oils.

On conventional oils with little or no ester additive, I assume that the starting TAN is likely to be near 0. A VOA would be needed to verify this.

For those of us running E10 fuel, I think the TAN/TBN crossover potentially has more relevance as Ethanol can be quite corrosive. Therefore, wouldn't it be advisable for those of us running E10 fuels to shorten our drain intervals to 3-4k? I remember Ford requiring owners using E85 fuels to change their engine oil every 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: prax

Heh, well you mentioned that in the thread I linked so no harm done.

cheers3.gif
I just don't want there to be any confusion and then a cooked engine as a result.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Interesting, I remember that thread. However, that is applicable to ester oils.

On conventional oils with little or no ester additive, I assume that the starting TAN is likely to be near 0. A VOA would be needed to verify this.

For those of us running E10 fuel, I think the TAN/TBN crossover potentially has more relevance as Ethanol can be quite corrosive. Therefore, wouldn't it be advisable for those of us running E10 fuels to shorten our drain intervals to 3-4k? I remember Ford requiring owners using E85 fuels to change their engine oil every 3,000 miles.

If you intend to stick with a certain kind of oil a VOA every-time they change the formulation is a good idea to compare it to your UOA to see what your engine is doing from the start to end points. Valuable and cheap if you find a good place like we have up here in Canada that does the tests with TBN/TAN included for $16 each if you buy the multi-pack of UOA kits

Also I have UOA's on the same oil, same driving patter/climate etc. showing E-10 and 0% Ethanol fuel from the same provider (Shell) as showing no increase in TAN or reduction in TBN over the same period of miles. I don't know how E85 would be but I'm sure it would be far worse as it is corrosive like you said.

Quote:

Depends. How significant is corrosive wear over the life span of a chassis vs. the costs of radically shortened drain intervals? It's something to seriously consider when you keep a chassis for millions of miles, not so much when retiring a perfectly good engine due to lack of a viable parts supply at reasonable costs.

What year was the study/studies published that you're citing? Sulfur content was reduced for the fuel supply and (I think) fully implemented by 2006.

If you do multiple UOA w/TAN on the same sump you can track it to the point where the Fe starts to run away. While I'm sure it effects other metals, Fe is the big player in terms of numbers so it's easier to watch the rate curve upward.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

Depends. How significant is corrosive wear over the life span of a chassis vs. the costs of radically shortened drain intervals? It's something to seriously consider when you keep a chassis for millions of miles, not so much when retiring a perfectly good engine due to lack of a viable parts supply at reasonable costs.

What year was the study/studies published that you're citing? Sulfur content was reduced for the fuel supply and (I think) fully implemented by 2006.

If you do multiple UOA w/TAN on the same sump you can track it to the point where the Fe starts to run away. While I'm sure it effects other metals, Fe is the big player in terms of numbers so it's easier to watch the rate curve upward.

I guess the question becomes whether or not we can track if wear increases significantly once an oil passes the TAN/TBN intersection point.

It appears that the point occurs fairly early with most conventional oils (around 3,000 miles) so it may be advisable that for maximum protection, one should change the oil in their vehicle about every 3,000 to 4,000 miles if they are interested in maximum engine protection.

Also, I wonder if the reason why the TAN values in the Lubrizol study equaled the TBN so early on because the additive package was not good at neutralizing the acids. Perhaps different additive packs are better at controlling increases in TAN? Any thoughts?

Quote:
It appears that the point occurs fairly early with most conventional oils (around 3,000 miles) so it may be advisable that for maximum protection, one should change the oil in their vehicle about every 3,000 to 4,000 miles if they are interested in maximum engine protection.

Hmmm.. I don't know if I would look at it that way. Most people I see here ..they don't interpret "protection" in those terms. They think of lubrication failure ..hmm.. like "Will 5w-20 give me enough protection" type stuff. They're also interested in cleanliness.

..but beyond that, are you suggesting that GM, with its OLM is ignorant of this TAN issue and the etching that it might include? It can stretch conventional out to 12k+.

I just think that there are things that are sensibly tolerable by most engines that won't effect their utility over their 13-15 functional life span. I don't think you're taking out too much equity out of its design life.

Naturally, we can retire perfectly good 200k-300k engines to the junkyard with 300k left in them or 100k left in them.
21.gif

So leaving each to their own with respect to the importance of TBN/TAN crossover, I'm technically confused ...

The graph on page 16 of the Lubrizol report shows linear data, and the legend refers to "Linear TBN" and "Linear TAN".

I thought I remembered reading somewhere (not sure if it was on BITOG or elsewhere) than TBN level was very non-linear over the oil's service life.

Is my memory wrong (always possible), or are they trying to tell me something I'm failing to userstand when they explicitly call out, "Linear TBN?"

TBN isn't linear. It falls quickly within the first 1K miles and then takes a long time (depending on the oils makeup) to fall the rest of the way.

TBN isn't linear. It falls quickly within the first 1K miles and then takes a long time (depending on the oils makeup) to fall the rest of the way.

That's still considered linear. It's just that there's a steeper initial decline, but otherwise, TBN still declines with miles. The chart illustrates this.

Plotted on a graph it wouldn't be linear from start to finish...
21.gif

Actually, I went back and looked at the Lubrizol presentation. The decline of the TBN is perfectly linear in their test. Go see page 16.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Plotted on a graph it wouldn't be linear from start to finish...
21.gif

Actually, I went back and looked at the Lubrizol presentation. The decline of the TBN is perfectly linear in their test. Go see page 16.

What he meant was that it "shouldn't appear" linear when plotted on a graph if any of the multitude of UOA results are any indication of how it behaves in use.

3) Is TBN/TAN crossover a reliable indicator of when lubricant performance will begin to deteriorate, and corrosive wear will begin to take place? Possibly

4) Could Mobil 1's high iron readings be related to corrosive wear taking place due to users running their oil until TAN values far exceed TBN remaining? Highly doubt it.

5) From the Lubrizol study, it showed a TBN/TAN crossover point of around 3400 miles. So is that a safe, conservative interval for most conventional oils? Doubt it.

Thanks!
Thank YOU CRITIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back