Cracked Rhino Ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more reason why I ditched the ramps, jacks and cobbled together wood cribbing and only use a Kwiklift. Mine's just like the picture below, and to change the oil I don't even need to raise it off the ground-I just drive onto the lift while it's on the floor.

TB3.jpg

I had a Metal ramp fail on me once. It folded to the out side when the cross braces failed. Car only weighed 3200lbs. I use wood now.

You guys are scaring me into thinking that a pit in the middle of a concrete floor is the only safe way to get under a car.

Once I was under a car which had a spare tire scissor jack underneath. I saw the fan move ever so slightly while I was under there, and I wondered "how odd?"
A millisecond later I realized what was happening and avoided being on the obituary page.

Home made wooden ramps here too. My cost was about $25 of wood from Lowes and ... missing the commercials of a football game one sunday to put it together.

This thread has me thinking. I have the 12000 lb set of Rhino Ramps. Getting the car just a little higher would be nice. I might just build a set of those wooden ramps. 2 10'2x12 would be nice, and wide too. One of these days.

I'll be checking mine too. The Aerostar needs an oil change and if the weather cooperates I'll do it tomorrow.

I might just build me a set of ramps anyway. For under $30 I can build a set that will hold a tank on them.

Originally Posted By: tgferg67
Here is my diy ramp . I still have to add the stop.
I get another 1 1/2" of height versus the Rhino ramp and no need for safety jack stands anymore.

I used (2) 2" x 10" x 10' that cost me $22 at Lowes.
The bottom board is 34" and each board is 5 1/2" shorter, the last one being 12".

I'm just wondering how you arrived at those dimensions? Thanks!

I have the lighter Rhino ramps and the heavy ones. The lighter ones have material taken out as per your picture. I think this gives them more opportunity to flex around and maybe cause cracks that would not happen with the heavier duty Rhino ramps.

I have put a 3/4 ton truck and a 1 ton extended van on the heavy duty Rhino set too many times to count.

Maybe you could tell Rhino ramps that you are going to post pictures on BTOG if they don't give you a new pair.....
29.gif

+1 for wooden ramps. You could park a tank on them (well OK, maybe not literally). My wood ramps are a bit smallish, but they raise the car enough so I can crawl under it. I once used them as footer pads when I had to temporarily support a porch roof, so they're versitile too. :)

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

Maybe you could tell Rhino ramps that you are going to post pictures on BTOG if they don't give you a new pair.....
29.gif

Or just call them politely. Even if it was OPs fault (doubtful) someone might want to know.

I just used my 12,000 lb set this morning and looked them over. They appear to be fine.

Anyone sit a set of Rhino ramps on a 2x12 to get them a little higher? I'm just wondering, if I made a 2x12 with a backstop if that would give a little more safe height? Or if I should just build a wooden set for the extra height I want.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Or just call them politely. Even if it was OPs fault (doubtful) someone might want to know.

I emailed them and have had no response. I asked them if I should continue using them and included the photo of the crack.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
One more reason why I ditched the ramps, jacks and cobbled together wood cribbing and only use a Kwiklift. Mine's just like the picture below, and to change the oil I don't even need to raise it off the ground-I just drive onto the lift while it's on the floor.

TB3.jpg

yes, that would fit nicely in my apartment parking stall

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I just used my 12,000 lb set this morning and looked them over. They appear to be fine.

Anyone sit a set of Rhino ramps on a 2x12 to get them a little higher? I'm just wondering, if I made a 2x12 with a backstop if that would give a little more safe height? Or if I should just build a wooden set for the extra height I want.

I have thought of that. Maybe cut some 4x4s extra long to get it up even longer and bolt them together with some rod. They do have a hole in the front where you could put a lag bolt or something.

I basically need an extra inch or so to be really comfortable when using them. I'll have a look and see about that hole.

What I wanted to do was take a 2x12, taper it like a wedge, then make a stop on the other end. Put the ramps against the stop, and drive up the 2X12, onto the ramp. In reality I probably don't even have to taper the 2x12. A 2x10 would probably work too.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back