Best idler pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, so what I thought was the tensioner making noise is actually the idler pulle, as evidenced by this diagram.

3D12D62.jpg

The tensioner is the red arrow, I thought it was the blue one, which is the one that is squeaking. Anyway, it looks like I have two choices. A $18 Dayco from Advance, or a $30 NAPA one. I'll of course try to find out if either is Made in USA (or canada) but of the two, which is most likely to last longer, and be of higher quality?

Plan to get creative with some wrenches and/or shallow sockets to get both those replace with the engine still in the car. Plan to take the right wheel and fender liner off to get access to the tensioner.

I did both on my son's 98 CAV 2.2 and it was not fun. Good time to change the water pump if needed.

I see some cursing in your future.

Last edited:
Might be possible to pop the bearing out and match it against a standard one at NAPA. Be about $6.

Oh not doing the primary tensioner now, no reason. Just going to do the idler/tensioner between the alternator and PS Pump. Shouldn't be too awful hard. Might need to remove the engine mount again but no big deal.

dayco is an oem supplier for alot of manufactures. i don't know about who supplied the 2.2L idler pulley.

i have used dayco in a 1991 silverado and 50,000 miles later not one problem!

also dayco may even be the source for the napa one! mike

We have had a lot of comebacks with Dayco from AAP.Even the one on my Expedition failed 3 times (under guarantee) before i used another make.They ran fine all year but when it got really cold (below 0f) it would squeal loudly instantly when the car started,then it was noisy again permanently.

I can only guess this is grease failure causing the bearing to fail not an actual bearing defect.Seeing you live in NY i guess you have similar winter temps.

The one from OEM,Goodyear(RockAuto),Napa,have no trouble.
Its possible Dayco had a bad batch of bearings,it says Made in USA on the box but on the bearing itself it has Made in China.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
dayco is an oem supplier for alot of manufactures.

Dayco aftermarket and Dayco OE are two entirely different things.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The one from OEM,Goodyear(RockAuto),Napa,have no trouble.

I was also going to mention that Goodyear now makes tensioners.

I wonder if it is made in U.S.A.??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back