Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badnews

Syn power non ILSAC MST oil

that is not the run of the mill syn power you see on the US shelves JFYI

And I never said that you will see it "on the US shelves". I said:
Quote:
your local NAPA store should be able to order it for you

Well Pete we run into the it is easy to get and find oil problem again .

And again I state that is pure kaa kaa having to go to a auto parts store and order an oil , and pay a nuts price for it.

We as oil guys need to analyze what is out there, easy to get, and still will do the job for folks and not just repeat some dumb spec that an OEM has made to be elitist

And again I state that is pure kaa kaa having to go to a auto parts store and order an oil

You don't have to go there to order. You can just pick up the phone and ask them to order it. Then just go to the store to pick it up.

Quote:

, and pay a nuts price for it.

How much does it cost? Does it cost more than other Synpower grades?

Quote:

We as oil guys need to analyze what is out there, easy to get, and still will do the job for folks and not just repeat some dumb spec that an OEM has made to be elitist

Do you have any proof that it's a "dumb spec"? Do you know more than MB engineers do? Please share the knowledge... we would all like to know.

Quote:

Do you have any proof that it's a "dumb spec"? Do you know more than MB engineers do? Please share the knowledge... we would all like to know.

Sure
It is an ultra high performance diesel spec 0.08 and 0.06 below saps

:vs:

a super high performance diesel spec 1.00 saps

The difference is the mileage before an oil change

10,000 miles

vs

15,000 miles

and DPF change out which can be anything with any oil as it is measured by the
oil
type of driving
fuel used

Now rebut that with facts (and a source ) or admit I am right .

source
www.lubrizol.com/EuropeanEngineOils/E408.html

http://www.lubrizol.com/Products3column.aspx?id=34976&linkidentifier=id&itemid=34976

It is like saying you will only drink Bud Light - but will a Coors light really quench the thirst ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gaiex
So the TD 5w40 will be thicker than the others all the temp range, right?
This could also let the fuel consuption rise a bit or what?

I noticed that the TD 5w40 produces more ashes (0,8) than the others, how this can afect performance and fuel consuption?

Sorry for so many questions, but till now I learned alot with your replys, Thanks

It (the TD 5W40)is a bit thicker than 0W40 but you run into +30 to 40C. in Portugal a lot more than -20C. As far as the slight difference in ash, it is still within MB229.51 specs and your DPF and catalysts will still last a very long time.

Charlie

Does it get -39 f In your country often ---- the pour point means little to most people . Even where I am at it don't even become a consideration till it is like -20 or more.

Last edited:

Source:
http://www.lubrizol.com/Products3column.aspx?id=34976&linkidentifier=id&itemid=34976

Fact 1: your Mercedes has a catalyst
Fact 2: catalysts are degraded by sulfur and phosphorus
Fact 3: 228.31 oil has up to 4000ppm S, up to 1200ppm P, 229.51 oil has up to 3000ppm S, up to 900ppm P.

I had intended to stay out of your ..."discussions"... but your errors are quite obvious and basic.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
NO OIL in the USA meets this spec and that is why it is nuts . ( Except Mobil ESP oil that can not be found except by special order and expense )

Not true. M1 ESP is sold at PepBoys. There is also Valvoline Synpower grade that meets this spec and your local NAPA store should be able to order it for you.

That is like saying I found a ruby once while mining gems in Arizona, come on lets be real

order oil
pay shipping
go to twenty parts stores

you got to be kidding

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Source:

Fact 1: your Mercedes has a catalyst
Fact 2: catalysts are degraded by sulfur and phosphorus
Fact 3: 228.31 oil has up to 4000ppm S, up to 1200ppm P, 229.51 oil has up to 3000ppm S, up to 900ppm P.

I had intended to stay out of your ..."discussions"... but your errors are quite obvious and basic.

Charlie

Are you quatro pete ?

Your tirade of questionable facts

You have failed to show where any oil used will ruin a catalyst

all oils have SAPS in them it is just a degree

Please next time let pete respond for himself

Last edited:

source

This page only says that MB 228.5 spec is loosely based on ACEA E4. It makes no mention of MB 229.51 which is the subject of this thread.

229.51 is based on ACEA A3 B4 and C3. Compared to ACEA E4 in the article above, MB 229.51 spec is much superior in terms of soot thickening, wear prevention, sludge prevention, oxidative thickening and aftertreatment compatibility.

Quote:

It is like saying you will only drink Bud Light - but will a Coors light really quench the thirst ?

Well, drinking Listerine may also quench my thirst, if that were my only objective. But if I also want to make sure that I don't experience any side effects, I might stick to water instead.

source

This page only says that MB 228.5 spec is loosely based on ACEA E4. It makes no mention of MB 229.51 which is the subject of this thread.

229.51 is based on ACEA A3 B4 and C3. Compared to ACEA E4 in the article above, MB 229.51 spec is much superior in terms of soot thickening, wear prevention, sludge prevention, oxidative thickening and aftertreatment compatibility.

Quote:

Well, drinking Listerine may also quench my thirst, if that were my only objective. But if I also want to make sure that I don't experience any side effects, I might stick to water instead.

Is Listerine a beer ?

See how we digress from fact to internet word smithing .

Shame shame shame

If you want to deal in facts stick with facts

NO OIL in the USA meets this spec and that is why it is nuts . ( Except Mobil ESP oil that can not be found except by special order and expense )

Not true. M1 ESP is sold at PepBoys. There is also Valvoline Synpower grade that meets this spec and your local NAPA store should be able to order it for you.

That is like saying I found a ruby once while mining gems in Arizona, come on lets be real

order oil
pay shipping

you got to be kidding

You won't pay shipping and you'll go to one parts store.

The only downside is waiting for the next truck (usually weekly).

order oil
pay shipping

you got to be kidding

You don't pay shipping when you ask NAPA to get something in store for you.

Please, sell your MB-powered vehicle already and stop complaining.
37.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout

order oil
pay shipping

you got to be kidding

You won't pay shipping and you'll go to one parts store.

The only downside is waiting for the next truck (usually weekly).

Bob

I was told at advance auto

no oil orders
NAPA said ok but only if it was in their order book - it wasn't
You are fortunate to be able to do that not all are and that is why I am speaking up about it

Last edited:

Is Listerine a beer ?

Is Bud Light a motor oil?

No but Shell Rotella T6 is and that is what I propose for folks that need a Benz oil spec 229.51

when they can't get the 229.51 or 229.31 spec'd oil

Hey Badnews,

MB dealerships, Pepboys, Autozone should all be able to purchase Valvoline MST 5w-30/5w-40. It would not surprise me if the dealerships were cheapest.

In any case the Rotella T6 would probably work fine as well.

Why is Castrol TD 5w40 alot cheaper than Castrol 5w30? (also in other brands)
Just because of the lower ash numbers and a "long life" certification?

If 5w40 is a better oil and protects better why the 5w30 is good to run 30000km while the 5w40 is only good for 15000km?

Which 5W30? The low SAPS Edge 5W30 that is A3/B4/C3, or is it just an A3/B4?
If it is not a C3 oil, it has more TBN/alkalinity and can withstand acid buildup longer.

Charlie

Low SAPS Castrol edge 5w30 ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C3 and mobil 1 ESP 5w30 ACEA C2/C3, A3/B3/B4, both have lower TBN than the castrol TD 5w40 (but higher than 0w40), and are more expensives!

I'm confused!

PS: Castrol Edge TD 5w40 is also ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back