Which spec 229.51 oil would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: unDummy
I would use what is available locally at a reasonable price. This usually isn't the case with certain OE spec'd oils.

As long as the oil change interval is reasonable, any should perform perfectly. I would lean toward the thicker 40wts for southerners, and 30wts for northerners.

You are half right

if you use a low SAPS oil that is of high quality -- you would be right and ok in using it

Off the top of my head these all meet 229.51:

M1 ESP 5w-30 & 5w-40 (Pepboys, & maybe Chrysler)
Castrol SLX Professional OE 5w-30 (VW, BMW dealerships)
Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w-30 (Mail order in US)
Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-30 & 5w-40 (Auto parts stores)

Originally Posted By: badnews
NO OIL in the USA meets this spec and that is why it is nuts . ( Except Mobil ESP oil that can not be found except by special order and expense )

Not true. M1 ESP is sold at PepBoys. There is also Valvoline Synpower grade that meets this spec and your local NAPA store should be able to order it for you.

Both of the posters above me are correct in the written response ONLY :
All the oils mentioned are available - but and this is the big but

on a limited basis
very costly to order and have shipped
only at selected places

It should not be that difficult to obtain an oil for a routine maintenance procedure .

or

very difficult to obtain in the real world :

Both of the posters above me are correct in the written response ONLY :
All the oils mentioned are available - but and this is the big but

on a limited basis
very costly to order and have shipped
only at selected places

The OP is in Atlanta... there are nearly 20 PepBoys locations within a 30 mile radius of downtown. Probably 20+ more NAPA locations that will order it for you and there is no shipping charge - you just come to the store to pick it up. On top of that, there must be a few MB dealerships around there too that carry the correct oil if he doesn't like PepBoys or NAPA. M1 at PepBoys costs about the same as any other high quality synthetic oil.

Also keep in mind, for now a modern MB diesel engine is a rarity... having a specialty oil for it available at every gas station and supermarket just isn't going to make much sense. Still, unless you live out in the boonies, getting a hold of proper oil isn't as difficult as you make it seem.

Quote:
NO OIL in the USA meets this spec and that is why it is nuts . ( Except Mobil ESP oil that can not be found except by special order and expense )

This is just plain wrong.

In what way
My NAPA said they could not get it - so it is hard to get for some and I will bet many .
Pep Boys will charge him a hefty price for the boutique oil -- I was quoted at over 8.00 a quart at mine and they said they only had 6 quarts which is a joke for a diesel oil change as they take more than gas engines mine takes 12 quarts , guy laughed when I said why don't you carry more and he said he has never sold any ?
I guess the diesel engine is new to my parts

I got better things to do than search out oils for an oil change at 20 or so auto parts stores .

Last edited:
^

I purchase M1 ESP FM 5w-40 for $6.99/qt at my local Pep Boys. They always have plenty!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim
^

I purchase M1 ESP FM 5w-40 for $6.99/qt at my local Pep Boys. They always have plenty!

Some people reported that PepBoys recently jacked up the price to 7.99/qt.

Even so, it's still fairly priced. I read somewhere that U.S. Mercedes dealerships are/have moving/moved away from M1 to Valvoline so I suspect the M1 ESP (40w) product might slowly disappear.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I read somewhere that U.S. Mercedes dealerships are/have moving/moved away from M1 to Valvoline

Yup. My local MB dealer said they use Valvoline SynPower.

I would try to get some of this 229.51 oil at Pepboys when they have a Mobil 1 sale. If the sale comes with a filter, it still may be cheaper than just the oil at regular price. Just get a Mobil 1 oil filter that fits another vehicle that you service.

Most likely you will have to spend $7-$8/qt to get one of the oils that meet 229.51

I can get the Valvoline Synpower for about $8/qt, Amsoil Euro for about $8/qt, and the M1 for about $6/qt when on sale at Pep Boys.

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, and new to the oil specs thing, I only know the norms and viscosity grades like a normal auto interested guy will know.

I run to this forum because I'm looking to change my OM642 320cdi oil meanwhile, and I'm very confused in which oil to buy!
I've made some searches and read some interesting things but some questions still remain.

I reduced the oil brands to only two, castrol and Mobil and my car needs to use MB229.51 oil (DPF installed) but I don't know wich one will be better to my engine, a 5w30 oil or a 0w40 or even a 5w40.

The oils I've seen are the follow:
Castrol
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014060&contentId=7027059
-Edge 5w30
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/lubtds.n...1F?OpenDocument
-Edge sport 5w40
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/lubtds.n...7D?OpenDocument
-Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/lubtds.n...A6?OpenDocument

Mobil 1
http://www.mobil-1.co.uk/cms/Products.aspx
-ESP 5w30
-0w40
-TD 0w40

Price is not the problem since I have alot of discount, and I will do the oil changes every 20000km or less.
All this questions appeared because I will remap my engine and want the best protection.
Weather here at my country (Portugal) it's not very cold, but can be very hot at summer (+40C)

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any help

For Portugal and considering the long change intervals I think the Turbo Diesel 5W40 would be best since it has the highest TBN (alkalinity). Of the choices you've given us.

Charlie

The car have Aral 5w30, and Mercedes also recomends 5w30 for doing oil changes to 30000km, so the 5w40 will be a good option to the 20000km oil change?
The castrol 5w40 is a low SAP?

From the list above wich ones are low SAP, Mobil ESP 5w30 and Castrol 5w30?
Considering this, is better to stick with a low SAP oil because of the DPF system in my car, or the other ones are just fine?

Last edited:
All the ones for which you provided product sheets (the Castrol products) are ACEA C3, mid to low SAPS. Good for DPF.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
All the ones for which you provided product sheets (the Castrol products) are ACEA C3, mid to low SAPS. Good for DPF.

Charlie

I was looking beter and the MB dealer used Aral Super Tronic 0w40 and not 5w30 as I mentioned
http://www.aral-extranet.de/sidab/glis.php?id=463184

After my las post I realised all MB229.51 oils are low SAP, sorry.
The differences from 5w40 to 0w40 are only at cold weather engine starts, or I'm missing something?

My only concern now is, should I stay with the 0w40 oil spec or should I use the castrol TD 5w40 as the better oil of the list, as your advice?
My ECU will be remaped and weather in summer is a bit hot (40C), and normaly never goes below -5C in winter.
Wich oil gives the most protection in higher temps?

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks

Last edited:
They are the same at high temps for all practical purposes. I noticed the TD 5W40 had a slightly higher total base number (alkalinity).
Actually the TD has slightly higher viscosity at 100C., which is good for high temp running.

Charlie

So the TD 5w40 will be thicker than the others all the temp range, right?
This could also let the fuel consuption rise a bit or what?

I noticed that the TD 5w40 produces more ashes (0,8) than the others, how this can afect performance and fuel consuption?

Sorry for so many questions, but till now I learned alot with your replys, Thanks

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Not true. M1 ESP is sold at PepBoys. There is also Valvoline Synpower grade that meets this spec and your local NAPA store should be able to order it for you.

Good luck on finding that MST non ILSAC oil anyplace without a special order

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I read somewhere that U.S. Mercedes dealerships are/have moving/moved away from M1 to Valvoline

Yup. My local MB dealer said they use Valvoline SynPower.

Syn power non ILSAC MST oil

that is not the run of the mill syn power you see on the US shelves JFYI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back