5w40 HDEO in Ford Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running s 0W-40 synthetic HDEO in my Crown Vic (4.6 SOHC) and the engine loves it. If you don't have variable cam timing, and aren't concerned about a potential drop in fuel economy (especially when super cold) then go for it.

You can run it in your 2000, but I wouldn't in the VCT engines.

I did run a couple of runs of Amsoil HDD 5-30 in our 07 when it was new and it was fine.

What would your purpose of not running the 5-30 in the 2000. The older 4.6's like 40wt but I just cant find a real reason to use it except cost.....and then even 5-40 is a syn HDEO so it's still expensive

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I'm running s 0W-40 synthetic HDEO in my Crown Vic (4.6 SOHC) and the engine loves it. If you don't have variable cam timing, and aren't concerned about a potential drop in fuel economy (especially when super cold) then go for it.

Which HDEO 0W40 are you using? JD+50? Or did you head up to Alberta for some XD3?

I've run both 5w40 and 0w40. It definitely likes the 0w40 better, so that's what we run in both our 5.4's. Both are 2V engines, 2000 and 2002 respectively.

Both oils are markedly quieter than 5w20.

I hear a lot of talk about how the engines like the thicker oil.

But I suspect many are confusing what THEY like (as humans), versus what the engine performs best with (IOW, what it "likes").

UOAs show that the modular engines perform will with just about any decent oil. The 5w-20s seem to show good wear results, as does the 5w-30 and 5w-40. Perhaps we should consider that the engine design isn't that sensitive to oil grade? Certainly lighter grades are preferred for engines that have VVT; we know this.

I don't think the modular engines care much about what oil is in them (again, with the exception of VVT). I suspect that human interpretation of resultant audible esthetics (noise, or lack thereof) is what people are commenting on here, for the most part. That certainly is a part of the equation, but not all of it.

Perhaps the question should be thus:
If wear can be held constant, give a reasonable range of grades, would I be willing to trade some perception of noise for some loss of fuel economy?

Greenfordtruck, if you want to know how a thicker grade of oil will "protect" against wear, check out the UOAs, and/or run some tests for yourself. If your goal is noise reduction or fuel economy, choose accordingly, thicker or thinner.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I hear a lot of talk about how the engines like the thicker oil.

But I suspect many are confusing what THEY like (as humans), versus what the engine performs best with (IOW, what it "likes").

UOAs show that the modular engines perform will with just about any decent oil. The 5w-20s seem to show good wear results, as does the 5w-30 and 5w-40. Perhaps we should consider that the engine design isn't that sensitive to oil grade? Certainly lighter grades are preferred for engines that have VVT; we know this.

I don't think the modular engines care much about what oil is in them (again, with the exception of VVT). I suspect that human interpretation of resultant audible esthetics (noise, or lack thereof) is what people are commenting on here, for the most part. That certainly is a part of the equation, but not all of it.

Perhaps the question should be thus:
If wear can be held constant, give a reasonable range of grades, would I be willing to trade some perception of noise for some loss of fuel economy?

Greenfordtruck, if you want to know how a thicker grade of oil will "protect" against wear, check out the UOAs, and/or run some tests for yourself. If your goal is noise reduction or fuel economy, choose accordingly, thicker or thinner.

This is actually kind of what I was getting at with my use of the term "likes".

The 5w40 made the engine the quietest.
The 5w20 had 1L/8,000Km IIRC consumption. The 5w40 did not.

The 0w40 yields the same gas mileage as the 5w20 in my truck, dampens noise to almost the same level as the 5w40, but provided vastly superior winter starting and no consumption. For our two vehicles, it appears to be the "best" choice of the oils I've tried.

Overkill - I like your methodology.

You tried several variations and found the "best" for your personal situation. It won't apply to all persons or vehicles. But it does give the OP some place to start for consideration.

I don't really concern myself much with the "sound" of an engine, as long as no catastrophic event is going on inside. The subtle nuiances are typically much more interesting to your brain than they will ever be to the engine. Still - if you can presume that wear protection is held constant, why not satisfy both!

Indeed sir
grin2.gif

The 4.6 in the 2000 performs fine with Motorcraft 5w20 "blend". I was just curious if anyone had ventured outside the guidelines.Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences.

Additionally, I might add that, at least based on my '05 5.4L 3V, indications are that the modulars seem to run pretty cool oil temps (I can read mine via a programmer). It's in the '80s here now and it's running 192F or so. In the '90s, you will see around 200. When I tow or haul, 205-ish to 210-ish. I have only seen 212F a time or two and only recently, with about 2000# in the bed and pulling a 5000 pound cultimulcher across soft ground slightly uphill, have I exceeded 212 (and then only by five degrees). My point is that with light loads, you are running your 20 grade oil in the the oil temp range where the oil is in 30 grade temperature (if your 4.6 is anything like my 5.4L). I have not run the truck heavily loaded in really hot weather.

Last edited:
I've run both RTS 5w40, and M1 15-50 in my 1999 5.4 . Both have performed well. RTS consistantly proves itself as an excellent, almost universal oil. You'll have no issues running it in your 2000.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
What year did Ford start using VVT on the 4.6L engines?

Just to be clear, the 2-valve 4.6L does not use VVT; the 3 valve 4.6L got it in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back