paraffin base oils???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was reading about 3 pages back about a fella that was sitting around talking about oils and the subject of pennzoil sludging your engine came up.i didn't want to hijack his thread to ask my question so i'll do it here.besides pennzoil what are some other oils that have the same pariffin base in it?by the way before i get flammed i use and like pennzoil products.i just wondered what other oils use pariffin in them.
thanks,
whitearrow->>>----------->

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whitearrow
besides pennzoil what are some other oils that have the same pariffin base in it?

Highlighting the question in case people think the OP is asking about oil vs. wax, which he is not.
55.gif

Just looked at a Pennzoil bottle. It says nothing about paraffin or Pennsylvania grade. My guess is that SOPUS is now using the same feedstock in all its oils. You can make paraffins out of naphanates. You can even call such oil ''synthetic''.

Perhaps the only paraffin based oil is what American Refining Company is making now.

I wonder how the history of lubrication may have been different if Colonel Drake had drilled into a naphanate basin?

Right from Valvoline's MSDS sheet for 5W30...

Paraffinic
64742-54-7 >=50- HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-54-7 >=30-
from castrol GTX MSDS...

The following components are listed: MINERAL OIL, PETROLEUM
DISTILLATES, HYDROTREATED LIGHT PARAFFINIC

Last edited:
The paraffin to naphtha ratio in crudes varies. Both the relatively straight chains in conventional oils and the highly branched PAO's meet the definition of parafin. Some crudes contain large amounts of paraffins requiring little but distillation to produce a usable lubricant. Further refining and additives will upgrade it.

Let me see if I can clear up this topic. Paraffin is a hydrocarbon identified by saturated straight or branched iso carbon chains. Paraffins are relatively nonreactive and have excellent oxidation stability. Paraffin means little affinty or inertness it doesn't mean candle wax.

I am under the impression that paraffinic oils are a GOOD thing.
I thought the name was from Par-affinic - having a multiple affinity instead of singular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back