Fixed the airbags on my '97 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got this car, the airbag module was unplugged, the airbag light had been removed, and the airbag fuse was blown. I plugged the module back in, replaced the light, and replaced the fuse, then cleared the codes to turn the light off.

All was well until I was driving after lots of salt was dumped on the road and the airbag fuse again blew and the light came back on. The stored code (52) indicated that the airbag module blew the fuse due to an intermittent short on either one of the airbag wires or one of the crash sensor wires.

I checked the wiring under the dash and at the crash sensors and all looked fine. I replaced the fuse and again cleared the codes.

The fuse blew again a couple of weeks later, again while driving with lots of salt water on the roads. I inspected the wiring again (same code about an intermittent short) and did not see any problems, so I replaced the fuse.

The airbag light came on again a week later, this time with a code 42...open circuit to the left front crash sensor, and this time it's a hard fault, not an intermittent. Now we're getting somewhere.

I disconnected the airbag module and did a continuity check between the connector at the firewall and the crash sensor. That tested good. I then checked between the airbag module and the crash sensor..open circuit. I'd narrowed the problem down to a 2 foot section of harness between the airbag module and the firewall connector.

I finally had a chance to look at it today and I found a chafed wiring harness by the passenger side wheel. The wire had nothing but green powder where there should have been copper. I spliced a new piece of wire in and that fixed the problem.

I think the harness may have gotten chafed when it was a police car--they did have some add-on wiring running next to it, part of which was still there when I got the car.

Having the wiring diagrams, which cost me all of $10 on Ebay, was a big help. I don't think that I could have begun to troubleshoot this problem without them.

i don't think the Crown needs air bags, you're already twice as heavy as anything else on the road - but i guess you could be running into a Hummer - nice job on finding the problem and keeping a 13 year old car on the road!

Hmm, BIL's P71 had pretty much this same issue, something about wiring to a crash sensor.

With bozos putting rear package shelf lights in and puncturing the gas tanks with self tapping screws, as well as these rough fuse panels and wiring hacks by the battery, you really have to wonder.

The new Virginia safety inspection rules (as of July 1 2009) state that the airbag light is to be checked to make sure that it comes on, and turns off. Otherwise, the vehicle fails the safety inspection. Next inspection is due in May so I had to fix it. It was actually easier to resplice the wiring than it would have been to remove the instrument cluster to take the airbag light back out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back