Edge 5w30 12,736miles, 08 Grand Prix 3800 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a good report. Too bad GM is killing this engine. It has the lowest internal friction accoding to Wards of any V6. This is why it has such little wear.Between the low friction of the internals and the high pressure high volume oiling system you kind of get the best of both worlds with it.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
It's not quite 8x better M1...

Thats against regular Mobil 1, not the EP stuff.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Letsjust turn a blind eye to the fact that Edge needed 1.25 extra quarts of oil to get the job done. If a vechile can not make it 10,000 miles with out needing to top off then it is a failure with requards to extended drain intervals. The second you have to add oil that should be the end of the OCI if you intend to gather meaniful UOA information!

Wow! I always thought it was desirable (if not just plain, ol' common sense) to keep your oil level at or near the recommended capacity, regardless of the anticipated OCI...

If the oil is not worn out at 5K and it takes another quart to get to 10K, then the vehicle is now a "failure" vis-a-vis extended oil change intervals?

Not in my opinion.

When I was using AME in the '91 420SEL I would often need & add an additional quart in a 15K OCI regimen: should I have just thrown out 7 quarts of perfectly good oil because I needed to add a quart?

Is the purpose of an extended drain interval to print pretty numbers or to effectively lubricate the engine for an extended period of time?

I tend to believe that oil consumption is normal, not that zero consumption isn't possible or regularly "observed", but oil loss can come from many places such as the PCV valve, bouts of high rpm, high heat driving etc and should be accepted. I will consider that in the OCI's that I have had with this car, including the version with no make up oil (my first UOA), the oil level never fell below the operating range and was good enough to continue driving when the OLM said to. I would consider that a success.

Additionally, based on observations on this UOA forum, in an extended drain situation some consumption, with monitoring and make up, can be beneficial from a TBN standpoint, however I am not sure on the effects consumption has on viscosity.

Ideally, I would like my engine to wear in 13,000 light duty/normal? miles the same as a traditional 3k severe service OCI. Im not sure if that is possible, but the UOAs here seem to tell me that the engine is doing well, and I should expect to not have internal engine problems before my car is paid for.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
It's not quite 8x better M1...

True, but if you add sand to the crank case I bet you could get the iron numbers up to Mobil 1 territory.

Mobil 1 doesn't make a lot of metal, other oils just make less.

GM V-8's use copper like a drunken plumber, but the suckers keep buying them.

(Much wailing and gnashing of teeth)
28.gif

Last edited:
I agree, rarely see amsoil ever do much over 15k.

As for the top off, most vehicles require 1/2 to 1 qt every 5k. Some do not but a majority do reguardless of brand and quality of oil.

Edge is still pretty pricy out this way, but it's looking good from what I have seen.

Quote:
I agree, rarely see amsoil ever do much over 15k.

You rarely see anyone drive more than 15k in a year.

Let's see if I can say this right. You can have someone getting 13k out of common dino with the right service with an OLM. Does that mean that anyone can just get 13k out of common dino under any service profile ..all the time ..every day ..any driver ..any engine? I hope the answer is "No".

So, that point hopefully taken, what reason are we to believe that this showing in this engine is at all indicative of it's "everyday ..every driver ..every engine" capability??

I put 25k miles on my work/daily driver each year. If you add in the mileage I drive in my other vehicles per year I drive roughly 35k per year.

My car, my engine, my commute I can only put 4k on dino. At 5k the TBN is on the low side. I have done 10k and 15k UOA's on Amsoil ASM 0W-20. At 10k you might have thought it could go 20k but at 15k Ox, Nit had both risen and TBN was dropping.

In a Honda Ody it can be run allot longer then in my little car. I don't blame the oil, its my commute and engine design. My car is simply rough on TBN retention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again nice report!! Off the shelf products are catching up at a rapid rate. MO companies better take this seriouse

Actually, Edge is my current fill. I did the AAP rebate deal. Im hoping edge will go on sale again soon, but if not the M1 doesn't seem to be a bad choice. Im tempted to do a PP OC since autozone has been running a deal with the M1 filters, but we'll see. I have an amsoil membership, just never used the oil....

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'll say it again, Edge will be the next Bitog darling. Just give it some time. I wish they'd make it in a 0W20 or a 5W20.

I don't think so... mainly b/c in the U.S. we have the watered down version.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'll say it again, Edge will be the next Bitog darling. Just give it some time. I wish they'd make it in a 0W20 or a 5W20.

I don't think so... mainly b/c in the U.S. we have the watered down version.

I have no idea if we have a watered down version in the US, that UOA looked good. Now we have another new kid on the block, Pennzoil Ultra. That could be the next Bitog Darling.

We should have a Bitog Beauty Contest, and see who the real Darling is.

Judging by those enormous PU threads here, I don't think there's any doubt PU has a hype factor of 11. The thing is, it's expensive so I know BITOG'ers won't like that at all.

I can't wait to do a direct comparison. I just sent in a sample of PP and put GC in currently. Next up will be PU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back