ATF+ and Dexron compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on an old Jeep and may have made a mistake. According to my shop manual the 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (Torque Flight 727 transmission) takes ATF+. So, that is what I added (2 quarts). However, when reading the owners manual today, I read that it was filled from the factory with Dexron II. All fluid changes are recommended to be either Mercon or Dexron II.

So, are these fluids compatible? I know some fluids are absolutely not... Please tell me I don't have to drain this thing...

727 is a classic tranny and is very tolerable of anything in there. 2-quarts shouldn't cause an issue. Why was it 2 quarts low?

The ATF+3 or +4(?) will work. But, being a HFM's fluid, you might have smoother shifts(slipping) when compared to a Dex/Merc fluid.

You will be fine. Before the mopar + fluids, all mopar trannies used Dexron II. ATF+, +2, +3, +4 fluids came about because of clutch chatter with lockup torque converters. It's backward compatible.

The +3 is semi-synthetic, the +4 is full synthetic. +4 is the only version made these days, earlier versions have been discontinued.

It was 2 qts low because I pulled the motor, removed the torque converter, and removed the cooler to get it cleaned and tested...

So, in the future, should I use Dexton or ATF+??? I plan on draining and refilling (with new filter) this summer...but till then, if I run low, which should I use?

Use what ever you have on hand. ATF+4 is backward compatible to dex II.. That's what I've done in the past. I don't have any dex II left anymore, I have a few qts. of + 3 left, everything gets +4 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back