Honda has developed a 0W-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Honda's principal chemist, Jeff Jetter, was quoted as saying, Honda and Acura will soon be using 0W-20 across the board. Honda also feels there's room to lower the viscosity further and has developed a 0W-10 in Japan.

"In fact this grade is already the factory fill on some models that are being imported to the States"!

Wow is all I can say.
I'd love to know which models have this new SM grade?

Yikes,

well, Honda knows a thing or two about engines. We'll wait and see.

It'll never see the inside of my 4.0, I think a 10 weight oil, would just run into the motor, and pour directly out the rear main seal. lol.

Last edited:
I would think that is waaayyyyyyyyyy to thin to put in small 4cyl cars.

I would be [censored] if that was put for the FF in my new car.

We have a member Garry Allan that has been useing a 0W10 for a few years now in a domestic minivan if I recall properly and a Jeep. Both like it and his wear numbers are good. Bruce is ahead of Honda it would seem.Redline and Neo have had 0W10 and 2WT race oils for some time. If your oil pump can keep the rod bearings happy at RPM and te bearing material is tough enough clearancing for 0W10 would not be that hard. Additive package is always beefier when looking at 5W20 and 0W20 as compared to their 5W30 and 0W30 counter parts. That tells you what is doing the heavy lifting!

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
I would think that is waaayyyyyyyyyy to thin to put in small 4cyl cars.

I think that's what they were saying about Xw-20 a few years back, and about Xw-30 a few years before that. :)

Yeah ..those slow pokes at Honda ..always behind the times.
21.gif

(hahaha-they don't know that I'm REALLY doing the endurance testing for XOM and Bruce is just a double secret probationary R&D shell corp shill for them so that they don't give away what's REALLY going on =covers mouth to quiet laughter
lol.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yeah ..those slow pokes at Honda ..always behind the times.
21.gif

(hahaha-they don't know that I'm REALLY doing the endurance testing for XOM and Bruce is just a double secret probationary R&D shell corp shill for them so that they don't give away what's REALLY going on =covers mouth to quiet laughter
lol.gif
)

I know eh? And you are running it in a Jeep with an engine that can only be described as from the "tractor" era!

Honda makes more internal combustion engines than anyone else in the world, automotive small and marine combined. I can't believe people around here are so quick to question their engineering. Then again, I guess once you hit 200 posts on an oil forum you've learned everything there is to know.

I wouldn't be too quick to buy an automatic transmission from them, but if it has a spark plug they know more about it than we do.

That's it then. I'm ponying up and having Bruce blend up a 55 gallon drum of this stuff (assuming he's done with tinkering). I assure you that Honda OEM oil will cost a fortune and make Bruce's blend a very competitive product.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Gary Allen was running 0w10 last year........ This is not a "new" grade.

Was he the one who ran the RP XPR 0W10 in the Nissan Sentra? If I remember correctly,wasn`t there a flawless UOA on that run?

People on here know that I often comment on Honda... in a somewhat negative way. That said, Ill be the first to say that Honda makes an excellent engine. Not every decision is necessarily CAFE or economics driven... Not that I'd necessarily use a 0w-10 in every instance, but if Honda says it is OK, and are using it in a variety of engines with varying power levels, Id say that Ill believe them. Once some UOAs come out, we can be more sure...

Let's not forget that we are seeing long-life results with 20wt oils now, and that as tooling and manufacturing gets ever better, there will be ever-more consistent tolerances in engines, more suitable for lighter and lighter oils.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Gary Allen was running 0w10 last year........ This is not a "new" grade.

Was he the one who ran the RP XPR 0W10 in the Nissan Sentra? If I remember correctly,wasn`t there a flawless UOA on that run?

That was Captain Howdy.
But just to let you know his oil temps were 180F in the summer and only 140F in the winter.

I don't know why RP's XRP 0W-10 is not a classified as a 20wt with a 100C vis of 6.5 cSt. Perhaps the HTHS vis was slightly below 2.6 cP. Anyway with a VI of only 140, Honda's and Toyota's 0W-20's are lighter at room temp and below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back