2004 Monte Carlo SS oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

Hi, I just bought a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged Dale Jr edition last week. The car calls for a 5W-30 and has the Supercharged 3800 V-6 in it. Which conventional oil would you recommend for this car?

Just to clarify, I'm not going to run synthetic in it. I went down the Mobil 1 road years ago in my 98 chevy truck and the ex-wife's 98 Grand prix with the 3800 and my oil analysis results on both vehicles were not good enough to warrent the money I was spending on the oil. Plus the engine in both were noisy when running M1.

The lady I bought it from took it to Jiffy lube and the current sticker shows that Quaker State was put in it. Thanks for any input.

Wayne

Wayne,

If Quaker State wassed previously then if your on a budget I'd stick to it cuz it's made by Shell.

Personally though I like Mobil products so if you wanna go in that direction perhaps Mobil 7500 would be good.

You didn't mention what your intended OCI's would be but youould re-consider using M1 and going 6K instead of the ussual 3K. That's what I intende to do in my newly bought Chevy Impala SS using the internal OLM.

Good luck in your final decision.

Durango

If you are buying an sm rated conv. oil then whatever is the cheapest, I have done enough research to realize that one SM rated conv. oil is usually not *that* much better than the next.

There is no "bad" oil, i've seen great UOA's(what little that may meant) with almost all brands of conventional.

What i'm trying to get at is that you are 99% more likely to have an accident and total the car, than to kill it prematurely with a certain brand of oil.

I don't plan on using Mobil 1 ever again as the things I still read about it don't convince me its any better than when I used it.

I'm thinking of using Valvoline but I'm not sure. The previous owner said she had the oil changed every 3,000 miles so that is what I'll probably stick to. Thanks for the replies.

Wayne

What you need for that there ride is Brad-Penn 10W-40, boy.

Don't you know you got a racin' car there? Dale Jr designed that car hissself to run on the racin' track....and it got a supercharger on it! When you got lotsa power, you gotta run some nice thick oil to protect it! None of this new enrgy conservin' garbage! A REAL oil!

An this Brad-Penn stuff, well, it's made from real 'MERICAN oil, right out there in Pennsylvania, none of this 'furrin stuff...boy, you young'uns got a LOT to learn about oil!!!

:D :D :D

Brad Penn is not carried around here so thats out. I want something I can get locally. I guess I will try Valvoline in it since that is what I'm using in the rest of my vehicles at the moment. Thanks.

Wayne

wtd,

I know Mobil 1 makes engines more noisey but have you considered trying other synthetic oils??? I've used Quaker States "Q" synthetic and found it to be make my 01' Durango V-8 much more quieter than the M1.

If not consider a BLEND and see what happens.

Durango

I have considered other synthetics but I'm not sure I would still be getting my money's worth. I've seen plenty of UOA's using conventional oil that had great wear numbers for a lot less money. I may try a blend and see what happens. Thanks.

Wayne

wtd,

What OCI are you planning using what ever oil/synthetic you choose??? If you going/doing 3K OCI's then perhaps a synthetic may not be needed. I admit though my 01' Durango V-8's oil is changed every 3K only because I average an oil change/3K in about 6 months so regardless of the synthetic oil I use (Mbbil 1) I want it changed out. If I had the money to use their "extended" version then I'd consider 6K OCI's. The main thing is not to loose the additive anti-wear stuff during it's usage.

If you then want to use perhaps Mobil 7500 dino then that should for sure take you to and easy 6K and NOT loose any of the anti-wear additives during your usage.

I still believe synthetics do have a place in your engine but I don't make what you make ($$$$)

Maybe something like Mobil "Clean" may be a good compromise as it's considered a blend.

Durango

I've used PP and PYB with great results. Any of the SM oils will work well. The 3800 isn't hard on engine oil.

My GS turned 200k and as you can see from my signature, it runs 13.95 on good traction and 14.0 otherwise consistently.

Last edited:
You can use just about anything you want. Like others have said, the 3800 is extremely easy on oil. Valvoline WB, PYB, GTX, Mobil 5000, it'll all be just fine.

The only recommendation I have is that if you find yourself taking the car to a dragstrip or seriously modifying the engine (camshaft, intercooler, etc.), opt for synthetic. Oil doesn't get fully warmed up sitting in the staging lanes, then all of a sudden you're blasting down the track at WOT for up to 15 seconds. An oil with better cold properties is beneficial in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back