My Experience: Amsoil SS in 2013 Hyundai Santa Fes

Try the No VII (No.7) oil it will make it even quieter + will clean any deposits around your turbo that may be causing the sound. 🤣😂.
Rumor has it that Hondas practically brew this recipe by injecting some fuel/ethanol into the oil. Too bad my car doesn't make any :(

Correct. It also eliminated the turbo squeal. Not only did it lower initial idle RPMs/roughness, but also the engine just vibrates less at idle after it's warmed up.
"Turbo squeal" is only a hypothesis of just "one" of the mechanics who looked at it. It is just one of a handful of possibilities you may never find the answer to. I myself doubt it is the turbo as the style of bearing it has would of gave up the ghost a long ago if it was compromised with a "squealing noise". Cam phazer, cam chain tensioner, and the oil filter brand are other places to look. My guess you will never find your answer, unless your turbo dies within a month. Then that is just a guess it was the problem. It's a Hyundai/Kia needs to be on that list too.

"Turbo squeal" is only a hypothesis of just "one" of the mechanics who looked at it. It is just one of a handful of possibilities you may never find the answer to. I myself doubt it is the turbo as the style of bearing it has would of gave up the ghost a long ago if it was compromised with a "squealing noise". Cam phazer, cam chain tensioner, and the oil filter brand are other places to look. My guess you will never find your answer, unless your turbo dies within a month. Then that is just a guess it was the problem. It's a Hyundai/Kia needs to be on that list too.
Good to know. I sure hope you’re right that it’s not the turbo.

You did use "test" in your title. It's important. Please ask the moderators to change the title. Single change, filter and oil, experience. Something like that.

Some folks here are a little jumpy - in reality people line up for real tests. Look at the stuff posted.
I requested that Astro14 change the title of the thread.

If I thought that Amsoil SS was rebottled Mobil-1 EP, I would have never ordered enough Amsoil (at 50% higher price), to last me the next four OCIs.

There's a noticeable difference in UOA overal mathematical chart numbers between the two, especially now when SP UOAs for Mobil-1 oils are now abundant, with a most definite downturn in oil additive strengths. Pablo of Amsoil has never mentioned that Amsoil uses inferior base oils - to that of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Mobil-1 EP. So I expect Amsoil's base oil and that of HPL, to be at least equal in quality and performance to the Mobil-1 EP.... quite possibly better, as most-all craft oil brands are.

So in my amateur oil sleuth mind, I firmly believe I spent more for Amsoil, because it's an upgrade to Mobil-1 EP. Much like the beer industry I was in for 30 years, the craft beers cost noticeably more than the Buds, Coors and Miller names. But there's a most notable difference in quality and price, when visiting the Micro Breweries across our country.

There's a noticeable difference in UOA overal mathematical chart numbers between the two, especially now when SP UOAs for Mobil-1 oils are now abundant, with a most definite downturn in oil additive strengths. Pablo of Amsoil has never mentioned that Amsoil uses inferior base oils - to that of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Mobil-1 EP. So I expect Amsoil's base oil and that of HPL, to be at least equal in quality and performance to the Mobil-1 EP.... quite possibly better, as most-all craft oil brands are.

So in my amateur oil sleuth mind, I firmly believe I spent more for Amsoil, because it's an upgrade to Mobil-1 EP. Much like the beer industry I was in for 30 years, the craft beers cost noticeably more than the Buds, Coors and Miller names. But there's a most notable difference in quality and price, when visiting the Micro Breweries across our country.
Can you share that statistical analysis with us please?

I own two 2013 Hyundai Santa Fes 2.0T AWD; both bought brand new in 2012. One of them had the dreaded engine failure at 61K miles; Hyundai replaced no problem. Since about 99K miles, my car started squealing only at cold start-up in the morning. I had two dealerships and two indy shops troubleshoot; serpentine belt replaced twice, then eventually the tensioner. Still squeals. One of the indy shops even removed the belt, started the car cold, and it still squealed. They seemed to think it was coming from the turbo. The dealer finally said, "well, if it's not causing any issues, just live with it until something further happens".

Anywho, the squealing continued every morning at cold start-up. This car has almost exclusively seen M1 5w30 synthetic and 6 month, less than 5K mile OCIs; the squeal happened EVEN after fresh oil changes. After doing a ton of research on BITOG, I finally sprung for Amsoil SS 5w30 to give it a shot. Oil was changed yesterday and this morning, zero squeal. In fact, my RPMs were WAY lower at initial start whereas before, they shot up and I had to let them calm down before shifting into gear.

I'll keep you guys posted but from what I can tell, Amsoil SS made a massive difference in how smooth and silent this TGDI runs. Very impressed so far but time will continue to tell. I will likely reduce my OCIs to 3-4 months just given the reputation of this engine and it's higher mileage (112K).
Amsoil 5w20 has made my old 2002 Ford F-150 run smoother and quieter than it ever
has and I've owned it since 2005.
I change it at 7500 mile intervals and it comes out looking almost as good as it did when
I first poured it in.
It's expensive yes but, for a smoother and quieter running vehicle, it's
worth it, imho.

Back