My Experience: Amsoil SS in 2013 Hyundai Santa Fes

I own two 2013 Hyundai Santa Fes 2.0T AWD; both bought brand new in 2012. One of them had the dreaded engine failure at 61K miles; Hyundai replaced no problem. Since about 99K miles, my car started squealing only at cold start-up in the morning. I had two dealerships and two indy shops troubleshoot; serpentine belt replaced twice, then eventually the tensioner. Still squeals. One of the indy shops even removed the belt, started the car cold, and it still squealed. They seemed to think it was coming from the turbo. The dealer finally said, "well, if it's not causing any issues, just live with it until something further happens".

Anywho, the squealing continued every morning at cold start-up. This car has almost exclusively seen M1 5w30 synthetic and 6 month, less than 5K mile OCIs; the squeal happened EVEN after fresh oil changes. After doing a ton of research on BITOG, I finally sprung for Amsoil SS 5w30 to give it a shot. Oil was changed yesterday and this morning, zero squeal. In fact, my RPMs were WAY lower at initial start whereas before, they shot up and I had to let them calm down before shifting into gear.

I'll keep you guys posted but from what I can tell, Amsoil SS made a massive difference in how smooth and silent this TGDI runs. Very impressed so far but time will continue to tell. I will likely reduce my OCIs to 3-4 months just given the reputation of this engine and it's higher mileage (112K).

Last edited:
Anywho, the squealing continued every morning at cold start-up. This car has almost exclusively seen M1 5w30 synthetic and 6 month, less than 5K mile OCIs; the squeal happened EVEN after fresh oil changes. After doing a ton of research on BITOG, I finally sprung for Amsoil SS 5w30 to give it a shot. Oil was changed yesterday and this morning, zero squeal. In fact, my RPMs were WAY lower at initial start whereas they shot up and I had to let them calm down before shifting into gear.
What does that have to do with the oil? Engine rpms and management is controlled by the computer, sorry it has nothing to do with the oil.

Who would have thought that turbo squeal was an indicator of oil quality?

Plus the added bonus of your RPM shooting up. Amazing that an oil can do all that.
Well, it sort of makes sense since the turbo is completely reliant on the engine oil for lubrication. Indeed I was amazed how comparatively silent the engine started and idled.

What does that have to do with the oil? Engine rpms and management is controlled by the computer, sorry it has nothing to do with the oil.
If the oil is sludge, couldn't it affect RPMs since it's making the engine run harder at startup? I've read that oil can definitely impact startup wear which is why certain viscosities are selected

Anywho, the squealing continued every morning at cold start-up. This car has almost exclusively seen M1 5w30 synthetic and 6 month, less than 5K mile OCIs; the squeal happened EVEN after fresh oil changes. After doing a ton of research on BITOG, I finally sprung for Amsoil SS 5w30 to give it a shot. Oil was changed yesterday and this morning, zero squeal. In fact, my RPMs were WAY lower at initial start whereas before, they shot up and I had to let them calm down before shifting into gear.
I was interested in this part, what were you researching exactly? Turbo squeal or idle speed increase?

If the oil is sludge, couldn't it affect RPMs since it's making the engine run harder at startup? I've read that oil can definitely impact startup wear which is why certain viscosities are selected
Typically when an oil isn't up to the task it'll coke up the line leading away from the turbo. No oil is going to miraculously and instantly clean a coked turbo oil line or anything else. Motor oils simply don't have that degree of solvency.

Back