Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: river_rat
I don't even care how much media I get, I care about flow and filtration...

thumbsup2.gif

I have questioned the need to have the most pleats as possible in an oil filter. Too many pleats defeat its purpose, especially if oil is unable to flow between them. Why aren't air filters made to the point where the pleats are almost touching? Air is thinner than oil. Are an over abundance of pleats really a concern if filters are changed regularly on BITOG OCD maintained engine?

Originally Posted By: Gator
I asked about the fleetguard LF9028 because you guys are testing and checking filters here, supposedly you no more than me, so I added this filter to be checked. I am not being lazy I have checked into this filter but only as to what is printed on paper, it will fit, it is a bypass type filter other than that I don't no. I was told this afternoon by a e mail from cummins filteration website that it would work. Now I ask you guys to check this filter out, and I am called lazy HMMm thanks

Thats not what you asked, bro. You asked me to research it for you and find out all I can. You didn't say you had even tried looking into it.
No offense intended, really. But I can only read what you write.
thumbsup2.gif

I would test it if you sent one, but I don't know how to even do a bypass type.

Just so everbody knows, I can't afford to test everything for comparison.
I gotta go out and buy two new popular comparison filters and spend about 5 more hours cutting, measuring, testing, posting photos, etc. It is a messy, sucky job and I just want to stick to a few popular brands. In fact, when I get done with labman's samples, I'd just as soon hang it up for awhile and let this thread become history.

By the way...
Well looky here, the (left to right) Bosch, PureOne, Puro Classic, and Denso FINALLY settled out! Woohoo!

DSC01690.jpg

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
I don't even care how much media I get, I care about flow and filtration...

thumbsup2.gif

I have questioned the need to have the most pleats as possible in an oil filter. Too many pleats defeat its purpose, especially if oil is unable to flow between them. Why aren't air filters made to the point where the pleats are almost touching? Air is thinner than oil. Are an over abundance of pleats really a concern if filters are changed regularly on BITOG OCD maintained engine?

At least now they emboss bumps in them to hold them apart. They didn't use to in the old days. Probably one reason they pack them into such small cans now.

RR, if you ever decide to do testing again, I will provide a few Honda-sized oil filters for your next comparison. Just shoot me a message and I'll send them your way when/if you're ready.
55.gif

Quote:
In fact, when I get done with labman's samples, I'd just as soon hang it up for awhile and let this thread become history.

When a curious challenge becomes a chore ..it's time to put it aside for a bit. Then you sorta look back at it and say "no way" ..it was fun in the learning curve ..but willingly going back into it just won't be fun anymore. Then you wait for the next river_rat to emerge and do his thing.

I am sure you have put in a ton of work but it has been much appreciated, I for one love to see real test done even in this case the filter were not run or tested on cars it still gives some idea an lets us make a guess on what to run based on your work. Thanks for doing it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
When a curious challenge becomes a chore ..it's time to put it aside for a bit. Then you sorta look back at it and say "no way" ..it was fun in the learning curve ..but willingly going back into it just won't be fun anymore. Then you wait for the next river_rat to emerge and do his thing.

Exactly, river_rat has already tested all of the mass market oil filters, plus others. He has done this as a student with limited time and money. People need to realize he can't test every filter on the market. He has provided his methods in detail if somebody else wants to pick up the work. He is perfectly within his rights to hang it up at any time.

Excellent!!!!!

FWIW, the smaller Fleetguard filters I use are IDENTICAL in construction to the Donaldson ones, so I imagine they may in fact be the "same" filter.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
RR, if you ever decide to do testing again, I will provide a few Honda-sized oil filters for your next comparison.

I will! You can send them now and I'll run them with labman's. Then can we be done? Pleeeeez? LOL
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Then you wait for the next river_rat to emerge and do his thing.

Ya. I might test a few every now and then to see if mfr makes some changes, but I'd really like to clean up my little workshop and have it back.
Any volunteers want to continue?
Originally Posted By: Gator
I am sure you have put in a ton of work but it has been much appreciated

Thank you. (did you see pics earlier in the thread of my shop knee deep in oily filters and testing tubes? It's even worse now. :) )
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
He has done this as a student with limited time and money.

A really OLD student-haha.
TG, the Vocational Rehab people help with tuition because my back and knees are done.

Probably same, ya. I have some prelim. data on how they flowed and stuff, but I would like to wait and put it all together in one post for easy findage. (Waiting for goop to settle now)

r_r, if you stopped right now, you've done a great service for inquiring minds regarding oil filters. I have a feeling this thread will be referenced for quite some time.
cheers3.gif

I hope you do do continue just a tad longer though.
wink.gif
:)

Sure thing. I'll send them out this afternoon. I'll be sending the following:

Honda PLM-15400-A01 (Filtech Honda)
HAMP
Napa Gold 1334
ProLine PPL14459
Purolator Classic L14459
Purolator PureONE PL14459

I've always been curious whether or not the HAMP is actually decent in terms of filtering ability and whether or not the ProLine PPL14459 is the same as the regular Classic just with less media.
55.gif

Also, if you'd prefer to test less filters I can take some out as long as you let me know by ~3:30pm this afternoon.
thumbsup2.gif

Don't know about the Pro Line, but the Micro Guard has less media than a classic. Wish my Walmart still stocked the ST3950.

Also, if it's not too much work, I could send newer Honda filters such as the 14610 ProLine, Fram Tough Guard and Extended Guard and PureONE to compare for those that have newer Hondas/Nissans/etc. that recommend that size. But I realize that would bring the total up to 10 filters to test, and that would probably be too much work so it's okay if you wouldn't want to.
thumbsup2.gif

Probably same, ya. I have some prelim. data on how they flowed and stuff, but I would like to wait and put it all together in one post for easy findage. (Waiting for goop to settle now)

Excellent
grin2.gif

Good idea! ... you've really done a lot of work on this testing endeavor. We all appreciate your enthusiasm.
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

Okay I'm not really sure how many filters you want me to send so I'll wait to hear back from you until I send them. They probably won't go out today though, unless I hear back fairly soon before the P.O. closes.

You guys are great. Thanks for the nice comments.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Okay I'm not really sure how many filters you want me to send so I'll wait to hear back from you until I send them. They probably won't go out today though, unless I hear back fairly soon before the P.O. closes.

I'm sorry, Tuesdays and Thursdays are a total circus for me. I just got on here minutes ago.

I think the first batch you mentioned would be a good comparison, but if you want to throw in a couple others, that's cool...I just appreciate not having to go out and buy the other filters to test against. :)

I always wanted to see a Hamp!

Okay, I'll ship all 10 for curiosity's sake. I wonder if the 14610 and 14459 of the respective Purolators will show identical results, or slightly different results.

So, I'll send the following:
HAMP
Honda A01
Napa Gold 1334
ProLine 14610
ProLine 14459
Purolator Classic 14459
Purolator PureONE 14459
Purolator PureONE 14610
Fram Tough Guard TG7317
Fram Extended Guard XG7317

Status