Smoked Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone smoked a turkey and have it turn out killer? Interested in hearing some stories and recipes.

I don't like smoked turkey. To me it makes it taste like ham. Deep fried is pretty good, but I still prefer good old baked in the oven turkey.

I should add I have nothing against ham. It's one of my favorite meats/pork.

My father in-law did it one year. Best Turkey I ever had. I ate all the white meat when the plate was passed my way. My wife (then GF at the time) was none too happy that I ate her portion of the white meat. LOL, we laugh about it now, but at the time was quite a different story. :)

He slow cooked it over a circle of coals on a round weber grill. IIRC, the temp was in the mid-200's (F) for 6 hours or so. Never did have a turkey that good, ever. Sadly, he passed away shortly thereafter and only had the opportunity to spend one T-giving with him, but it was very memorable.

My Dad does a smoked turkey every year for Thanksgiving. Brine it over night then smoke for about 12 hrs (IIRC) with mesquite wood. That's about it.

Deep pit turkey is also very very good.

We smoke a turkey or turkey breast almost monthly. They turn out great.

Brine the turkey for 8-12 hours before smoking.
Take the turkey off the brine and rinse. Allow to rest for an hour.
Season with my favorite home made rub.
Once the smoker is up to temperature (190 degrees) put the turkey on and smoke with cherry. 4 hours of smoke for a lighter flavor, 6-8 hours for a richer flavor.
It should take at least 8 hours for an average size turkey get to full internal temperature. You want it to take a long time.
When the turkey is about an hour away from reaching full temperatue kick the smoker temperature up to 250 degrees.
When the turkey is done remove and FTC for at least 4 hours (wrap in Foil, wrap in a Towel, then put in a Cooler). The turkey will continue to cook, get more tender and moist.

No one in our family wants a anything but a smoked turkey for the holidays. The FTC method makes it easy to get it ready and take it to a relative's house if the gathering isn't in our home.

Here is a very good tutorial from the Virtual Weber Bullet site http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey3.html
I use the basics from this guide on my Weber and also on my large offset when cooking turkeys and chicken.
Go easy on the smoke wood, and cook at higher than the usual low and slow temperatures used for brisket, butts and ribs. There's no reason to cook poultry for hours and hours at low temperatures.

I smoke my turkeys every year!

20+ people LOVE it!
20.gif

Having 29 people over this year!
crazy2.gif

BUT, this is what I do...

I smoke it in *heavy* smoke for "1 hour".

Take it off the smoker, stuff it with stuffing, sage pork sausage. small slices of celery and small apple chunks, then bake it for 6 hours.

Why? Because then we get the best of both worlds, smoke taste AND drippings for gravy!

Try it!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

20+ people LOVE it!
20.gif

crazy2.gif

Take it off the smoker, stuff it with stuffing, sage pork sausage. small slices of celery and small apple chunks, then bake it for 6 hours.

Why? Because then we get the best of both worlds, smoke taste AND drippings for gravy!

Try it!
thumbsup2.gif

Road trip to your house!
20.gif

20+ people LOVE it!
20.gif

crazy2.gif

Try it!
thumbsup2.gif

I like the way you think! You're in my neighborhood, we should meet up for a beer sometime. (I know we discussed that once before)

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

20+ people LOVE it!
20.gif

crazy2.gif

Try it!
thumbsup2.gif

Road trip to your house!
20.gif

+2. It's a long drive, but it will be worth it. The way you do stuffing is THE way to do stuffing. Yummm!

Got one coming off the BGE (Big Green Egg) in about 1/2 an hour. Google it if you want to see what the smoker looks like. There are two types of smokers. The BGE, and all the rest.

So far, everybody who has tried my BGE turkeys (well, everybody except a step-sister-in-law, but she was crazy - really) has agreed it was the best they have ever had. I've even gotten my dear old mother to give up on her clay pot turkeys, and go with my mesquite smoked ones.

Some day, I'll try something other than mesquite. I've held off because my wife threatens to leave me if I do anything different.

The 1 Lb. of Sage Pork Sauasage and one Apple in pinky fingetnail chunks are absolutely incredible together.
20.gif

Seriously, give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back