Type-h transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm looking at changing the transmission fluid in an 86 tempo over the weekend that says it recommends type-h transmission fluid. This fluid specification as been long superseded it appears by both mercron and mercron V. I'm planning on using Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF as I've had really good luck with it in a couple of other cars and wanted to confirm that it would be ok, even though it doesn't officially support type-h.

Thanks,
Andy

I think you may mean Type III(H) Dexron fluid or Dexron III(H).

Any DexronIII/Mercon fluid should work.

I would steer away from Ford Type F since it doesn't have the necessary friction modifiers for your AT.

No Ford had a type H they used in some mid 80's cars at least. I think Mercon and Merc V meets the specs for type H. You would not want to use type F.

Last edited:
Type F is for pre 1979 ford trannies, and is also used for a lot of p/s pumps.

I remember, that the original for taurus with the 3.0 required Type J. I've seen it at Ford Dealer a long time ago.
I'll bet dex3 more than exceeds that spec.

I think Ford has used abpout 5 different ATFs. Most of them besides type F, and type SP can use Mercon V instead. here's a link:

ATFs

Quote:
Over the years, there have been a confusing array of different ATF types and specifications. Make sure the replacement fluid meets or exceeds all OEM requirements. Using the wrong type of fluid may cause transmission problems and damage.

Type F -- Introduced by Ford in 1967 for their automatics. Also used by Toyota.

Type CJ -- Special fluid for Ford C6 transmissions. Similar to Dexron II. Must not be used in automatics that require Type F. Can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V.

Type H -- Another limited Ford spec that differs from both Dexron and Type F. Can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V.

Mercon -- Ford fluid introduced in 1987, very similar to Dexron II. Okay for all earlier Fords except those that require Type F. As of July 1, 2007, the production and licensing of Mercon ATF by Ford ends. Ford says applications that require Mercon ATF can now be serviced with Mercon V. See Ford TSB 06144 for more information.

Mercon V -- Replaces Mercon. Introduced in 1997 for Ranger, Explorer V6 and Aerostar, and 1998 & up Windstar, Taurus/Sable and Continental. This is the current ATF for most late model Ford products. See Ford TSB 06144 for more information.

Mercon SP -- Latest friction-modified ATF for Ford TorqShift Transmissions only. Do NOT use in transmissions that require Mercon or Mercon V. See Ford TSB 06144 for more information.

Btw, how can I enable HTML?

Last edited:
Yeap, it's type H with out the dash, I'm not quite sure why I put it in there!

It sounds like what your saying pretty much agrees with what I've found then that it's been superseded with mercron and that any fluid that safe with the mercron spec should be safe for this car, correct?

Also on a side not, I'm definitely not running Type F as I've heard that it's completely incompatible with cars requiring the mercron specification!

btw just in the time that i have worked with Ford we have had Mercon, Mercon V, FNR5, Mercon LV, Mercon SP, Premium Automatic Fluid, Type F. that is not including manual transmission fluids.

ZF 6 speed automatics in Navigators, and the Torqshift 5R110, although they say now you can use LV in the Torqshift if you look for an older post of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back