Castrol GTX or Quaker State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering which would be good to run with Auto RX. and Ill prob. keep running it also So which would do the best in my 94 dodge shadow 2.2 ohc

Last edited:
Either will work. You'll only get opinions/preferences between these two oils.

If I had to choose one over the other, I would choose gtx because I have experience with it.

ok I have a little of both laying around and plus the QS is a little cheaper at walmart and Advance auto has a sale going on with a filter for 15 bux

QS has got to be a good oil since it's a SOPUS product. You won't go wrong, and it's a great price when you find it on sale!

Speaking of Castrol GTX: I'd like to see more of its flow/viscosity numbers and TBN. Castrol's website is pretty vague with the data provided:
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/psd_gtx_usa.pdf

Another thing I forgot mentioning about QS oil is that they put "Slick 50" in their high mileage product. We all know that stuff is snake oil, which doesn't speak well of the R&D department.

Originally Posted By: Chuck1986
Speaking of Castrol GTX: I'd like to see more of its flow/viscosity numbers and TBN. Castrol's website is pretty vague with the data provided:
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/psd_gtx_usa.pdf

Another thing I forgot mentioning about QS oil is that they put "Slick 50" in their high mileage product. We all know that stuff is snake oil, which doesn't speak well of the R&D department.

The Slick 50 they put in it is different than the Slick 50 of old. This is basically just an additive package now, if I remember correctly. No Teflon or anything like that.

You know what crazycrak, old Chuck1986 is correct. That old Quaker State is just cheap old oil and has never been worth a darn. Would not even make a good weed killer. Better get rid of it and just ship it to me so I can destroy some of my engines.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You know what crazycrak, old Chuck1986 is correct. That old Quaker State is just cheap old oil and has never been worth a darn. Would not even make a good weed killer. Better get rid of it and just ship it to me so I can destroy some of my engines.

I'm sorry you took my reply out of context. I was only saying that with QS oil, the low price correlates to its low quality status in comparison to leading dino brands such as Castol GTX and MC 5000.

No, it's not going to kill an engine...heck any SM oil will do just fine but aside from the cheap price I just can't think of an advantage that QS has over other dino brands based on the UOAs and VOAs I have seen.

Nobody knows more about high-tech modern gizmos than the Quakers. That's why they use so much borate esters in their oil.

IME castrol is worse than store brand oil. Every time I have ever used castrol it would vanish from the motor. I switch to ANYTHING and the problem stopped.

IMO GTX is the Yugo of motor oil and I have had better service from supertech.

Once again someone was fooled by the "it cost more so it must be better" marketing.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
IME castrol is worse than store brand oil. Every time I have ever used castrol it would vanish from the motor. I switch to ANYTHING and the problem stopped.

IMO GTX is the Yugo of motor oil and I have had better service from supertech.

Once again someone was fooled by the "it cost more so it must be better" marketing.

Wow..that's the first negative I've ever heard about Castrol GTX...Anyone else see a trend described above?

lol.gif
should I spend a the extra change and get PYB?

Uh ohhh. I'm currently running the Ol' Quaker Cake in two different cars, one the 5w20 and one 5w30. Plus I have a small stash. Say it ain't so.
57.gif

images

Originally Posted By: Chuck1986

I'm sorry you took my reply out of context. I was only saying that with QS oil, the low price correlates to its low quality status in comparison to leading dino brands such as Castol GTX and MC 5000.

No, it's not going to kill an engine...heck any SM oil will do just fine but aside from the cheap price I just can't think of an advantage that QS has over other dino brands based on the UOAs and VOAs I have seen.

Don't know of any definitive studies which prove that price has a direct nexus with the quality of oil...but I could be wrong.....I would like to see the study though.

Originally Posted By: strombony
Is Pennzoil and QS conventional add pack better than Castrol GTX?

I want to know the same thing. ?????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back