What Oil for 2001 Chevy Prizm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i bought a 2001 Chevy Prizm about 3 months ago, did a regular oil change immediately after purchasing it since the previous owner didnt seem to have taken the best of care of the car. My oil change was with regular Autozone house brand 5W-30 and an STP oil filter. I plan on changing the oil in the next week or so, and was wondering what OCI I should be using. Im thinking that 3K/3Months is a bit overkill on a 8 year old car with 83K miles on it. I plan on keeping the car for another 3 years, and take pride in my vehicles. What oil should I use (non-synthetic), what filter, and what OCI is good. Car is used for 50/50 city highway, and about 12K-15K/year of driving.
Thanks for the help!

Keep an eye on your oil level - these engines can have a bad oil-burning problem. They are reliable, and run forever, but you have to keep them topped off, as they can consume large amounts of oil. Unfortunately, poor maintenance and lack of oil changes will aggravate this problem.

If you need advice to start, change any 5W-30 oil you can get for a good price every 5k. But check it much, much more frequently.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Another question, when I got it I changed the automatic transmission fluid, but did not replace the filter. When should the filter be changed? How often? Thanks!

Try mixing in some MMO

Also since we're talking about Dinos, use 10w-30 on the warmer months since they don't shear as much

Definitely 5w-30 Dino or 0w-30 Synthetics during Ohio Winters though!

As for brand of Dinos, I like PYB but I hear great things about just about any of the brand names. Pick up whatever you can get for on sale =)

Question, what is MMO? Should I use some fuel system cleaners as well, or any other engine restore types of products. The car seems to run a bit louder than I would expect. Any engine restorer type additives?

MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil

You can get a Quart at Walmart for under $4. Much cheaper than any other additives

You can put 4oz for Every 10 Gallons of gas in your fuel tank and you can substitute about 1/5 of your oil for MMO

You'll find it's popular with a lot of the old schoolers in BITOG

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
What about Maxlife? At 83k, I think it would help....

That's what I use in my Corolla and it does lower consumption.

I'd use 5w-30 for the winter since it gets cold in Ohio.

Your engine is a second year variable valve timing motor. From my perspective about half of them are oil burners and it starts about 60000 miles to about 120000 miles. If it does not burn a quart per thousand by then ,you got a "good one" and it should last 200000+. The oil burning motors have valve stem and seal problems plus bad oil control rings. They burn a quart per 500 miles when its getting bad but can last another 20000 miles or more that way. They fail completely between 80000-150000. That is a large range ,but it depends a lot on maintenance. Go on corolland for more information that you ever need. I own 2 older corollas and high mileage oil is the ticket . I would run maxlife 5w30 but first follow the directions on a jug of marvel mystery oil to clean the motor internally. First and last warning. Keep it full of oil and check it every week.

to finish your question. any filter that is not the orange can of death should be fine. I like toyota 90915 or wix but I have used supertech, purolater, proline,bosch and a ton of others. they are all good.
regular oci's should go 3-5000 miles.5 is good if you can maintain it. It depends on the oil burning and your driving conditions like living on a dirt road or all highway to work. It also depends on your driving style.

Maxlife or PYB 5w30 with a good filter (Wix/Purolator) every 3-5k
These engines are famous for timing chain tensioner leaks.
Look on the passenger side rear of the block from the top for two 10mm studs or bolts just below the head. This is your tensioner. Very easy to change if leaking.

Originally Posted By: versaguy
Thanks for all the suggestions! Another question, when I got it I changed the automatic transmission fluid, but did not replace the filter. When should the filter be changed? How often? Thanks!

No reason to change the filter, it is just a metal screen, and is designed to be a lifetime part.

Justin

Last edited:
I have a 1998 Chevy Prizm and really the only time it uses oil is on long trips (over 100 miles), otherwise I never have to add oil in between changes, I have 89,000 miles on it and the engine seems to be a good fit for the size of the car (120 HP). Good luck with yours. I use chevron 5w-30 year round and a supertech filter.

the 1998 is a completely different motor. the 93-99 motors are practically bullet proof. the 00-03 vvi motors have several problems but if you get a good one 200000 miles is attainable. I have 273000 on my 1993 . still gets 39 mpg and burns a quart every 1000-1500 miles.
Make sure the timing belt has been changed. look under the hood for a sticker on the timing belt cover next to the serpentine belt. It should have been done at 60000.
I will say that hm oil has cut my oil burning in half.

1990–1992 Geo Prizms were powered by the 4A-FE or optional 4A-GE engine.
1993–1997 Geo Prizms were powered by the 4A-FE or optional 7A-FE engine.
1998–2002 Chevy Prizms were equipped with Toyota's 1.8 L 1ZZ-FE I4 engine; 2000–2002 models included VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence) technology.

That is the exact same breakdown for the Corolla except for the 4age offering. The Corolla's had it eariler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back