Running a thicker oil than spec harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Which engine?

Well in my case, Ford 4.0 SOHC

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.

If this is the infamous Cologne V6 ..then I don't believe that it ever did spec a 20 weight.

I am fascinated at how scared people are at using these relatively thin oils, that are barely even available in Australia. I am in Melbourne, 5 days for 45 degree ^c a year, hot dry summers, winters anywhere from 1 degree^c cold mornings in winter to 14 degree days. Canberra and Tasmania would have to be some of our coldest areas apart from the Alpine regions (sparesly populated), but thousands go skiing etc.

What i am trying to say apart from talking [censored] is 5w30 would have to be a rare oil, Castrol Edge most commonly used as its cheap for a synthetic, 10w30 the next, but 10w40 to 20w50 would have to be the most common oil used. Manufacturer work shops doing the same, sometimes deviating from the book.

America seems to use thinner oils than Europe where its colder most of the time. Ambient,Shambient, it seems its more of a culture now in the U.S to use thin oils than anything else. 25w60 oils starts up fine on a cold morning, the one i used a group 3 was made to still flow at -20 degrees^c. Yes it feels heavy on startup on a very cold morning, but few seconds later and its idling well, whenever you lift the oil filler there is always a nice film of oil on it, came with a free oil test, tested at 10,000k's had another approx 10,000k's of life left in it.

Pushrod engines can go pretty thick, overhead cams 10w50 would be the thickest you would use in most circumstances.

Corolla 06 hand book says use 5w30 for best economy, Toyota put 20w50 in it ??? Book says to also use 15w40 or 20w50. Toyota go for the highest as it seems to keep them quieter. Obviously it does not kill the engine if they use it.

Originally Posted By: Minou
Originally Posted By: Jeff3126
At my work we have a fleet of F-150s, 250s, 350s with 4.6, 5.4, 6.0, and 7.3, plus some diesel construction equipment. We run mobil 15-40 in everything, even in chainsaws as bar lube. Been that way for years, no probs.

Maybe in South Florida but it wouldn't cut it up here.

I've run 5w40 in a few vehicles "up here"......

10w-40 will be thin enough for cross counrty use, but 10w-30 will be better than 10w-40 for short trip use where your drives are under 43 minutes.

I run Rotella 15w-40 with 20%-30% Lucas oil stabilizer year round in everything from lawn mower to semi. Most of my vehicles are high milage. Two with over 250,000 miles. My semi has 1,400,000 miles (400,000 on major overhaul).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

If this is the infamous Cologne V6 ..then I don't believe that it ever did spec a 20 weight.

No, the engine is spec for a 30 weight. I just mentioned the 20 weight oil as an example in my orginal post.

What do you mean by Colonge V6? I've never the engine refered to as that.

No, the engine is spec for a 30 weight. I just mentioned the 20 weight oil as an example in my orginal post.

Because it's sourced from an engine plant in Cologne, Germany. It being a German engine is probably the reason for still recommending a thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
At my work we have a fleet of F-150s, 250s, 350s with 4.6, 5.4, 6.0, and 7.3, plus some diesel construction equipment. We run mobil 15-40 in everything, even in chainsaws as bar lube. Been that way for years, no probs.

Jeff3126 was talking about 15W-40, not 5W-40. On cold sub-zero mornings I certainly prefer to have the 5W "up here" as well.

Jeff3126 was talking about 15W-40, not 5W-40. On cold sub-zero mornings I certainly prefer to have the 5W "up here" as well.

And a 0w is even better
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: vxcalais

America seems to use thinner oils than Europe where its colder most of the time. Ambient,Shambient, it seems its more of a culture now in the U.S to use thin oils than anything else. 25w60 oils starts up fine on a cold morning, the one i used a group 3 was made to still flow at -20 degrees^c. Yes it feels heavy on startup on a very cold morning, but few seconds later and its idling well, whenever you lift the oil filler there is always a nice film of oil on it, came with a free oil test, tested at 10,000k's had another approx 10,000k's of life left in it.

A large portion of America from New England, upstate New York, west through the plains 'till the Cascades often sees winter temps pushing -20f to -40f below. I've been in the Adirondacks of NY where the daytime highs were barely in the single digits and nights were well below zero for days on end.

If you are using a vehicle for numerous shorter trips, a thin oil is the way to go. At highway speeds, smaller all-aluminum engines may never get the oil to operation temps just from the frigid wind blast through the grille. A piece of cardboard over the grill isn't a bad idea in "real" cold weather.

Quote:
"Pushrod engines can go pretty thick, overhead cams 10w50 would be the thickest you would use in most circumstances."

I'd agree with this statement - oil doesn't have to go as far to get to critical parts.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais

America seems to use thinner oils than Europe where its colder most of the time. Ambient,Shambient, it seems its more of a culture now in the U.S to use thin oils than anything else.

Yes, I agree oil grade may have more to do with culture than fact.

Not only do I notice easier cold starts since switching to 5W-30 from 10W-30, it just occurred to me it has been a long time since I replaced a starter motor. Oh, I have tightened up my house to where less heat leaks out into the garage. Hummmmmm!

Originally Posted By: 1999nick

Because it's sourced from an engine plant in Cologne, Germany. It being a German engine is probably the reason for still recommending a thicker oil.

I doubt where it is made makes any difference. I've heard actually it's the problematic timing chains in some of these engines is why they spec a slightly heavier oil. But take that with a grain of salt...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
What was SAE20 driven by?

Adequate lubrication for engines with lower power densities I would imagine. It wasn't until engines were making significantly more power that viscosity was increased.

Then people just started running the stuff in everything.

About 2 years ago Miami Lincoln Mercury voided a warrenty cause the owner was using 15w40 in his 4.6 06 Grand Marquis.

Adequate lubrication for engines with lower power densities I would imagine. It wasn't until engines were making significantly more power that viscosity was increased.

Lower power densities, yes. Also much looser tolerances and with 20W oils that lacked detergents, friction modifiers, and anti-wear additives.

I believe 20W oils were also used in cargo hauling, and certainly by the US military in WWII in their "deuce-and-a-half" trucks, Dodges, Jeeps, and possibly even M4 Sherman tanks...

Last edited:

Lower power densities, yes. Also much looser tolerances and with 20W oils that lacked detergents, friction modifiers, and anti-wear additives.

I believe 20W oils were also used in cargo hauling, and certainly by the US military in WWII in their "deuce-and-a-half" trucks, Dodges, Jeeps, and possibly even M4 Sherman tanks...

Yup, lots of our boats spec'd them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back