2003 SAAB 9-3 Conv. 2.0 SE Turbo ..... What oil ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

Gotta do an LOF on my friends Saab 9-3 2.0 with the low pressure turbo, & 80k on the clock. Not sure what oil to run, but either way I'll be running a synthetic. I did notice that every so often the oil light flickers after a rev (for like 2 sec)Then it is fine. This is an intermittent condition, it happened 2 times on a 70 mile trip tonight. I know that these engines are known for sludge as the cat is right next to the pan. Hence the choice for a syn.
I was thinking PP 5w30 5k oci with a wix or a mann filter.
or maybe GC 0w30 with the same oci and filter.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks Again,
Justin

both good oils. perhaps someone can chime in if the saab 9-3 likes a thicker or thinner Xw30.

I think PP and WIX is a fine combination. For the viscosity, I would look to the owners manual for recommendations. I would consider doing an Auto-RX cleanup on this engine. I know it is a bit of a pain but, the results can be most beneficial.

I hate any vehicle with 'flickering' oil lights. Usually, the damage is already done.

I'd consider a shorter change interval, and any full synthetic should be fine.

But, thicker oil, like the Syntec 0w30, Mobil1 0w40 or M1 high mileage.... might give you some more cushion during those low-psi moments.

Its important that you convince your friend to monitor oil consumption, top off regularly, and lower the change interval.

That oil light would bother me.
I would want to now for sure if it is a sender problem or an oil pressure problem.
Your oil choices seem great.

M1 0W-40. Works very well in these engines, I've read they like a slightly heavier oil, and the M1 shears down to a high-30 weight anyway.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
M1 0W-40. Works very well in these engines, I've read they like a slightly heavier oil, and the M1 shears down to a high-30 weight anyway.
My brother in law has said he's heard of E36 M3 owners running M1 0w40 and it sheared down through the whole 30 wt range into a very high vis 20 wt.....scary :). He runs GC which is effectively a light 40 wt despite being listed as a 0w30. It doesn't shear down as much and he has no valve noise anymore like he did with M1 0w40.

I work at a Volvo/SAAB dealer. SAABs get Mobil1 0w40.

Volvos get Castrol Semi-synthetic 5w30.

Personally, I think both should be getting the Mobil1, but I don't make those decisions around here.

Better drop the pan and clean the sludge away from the oil pump pick up screen or you won't need to worry about what brand oil to use on that engine.
Suggest you go to saabnet.com website and do a search under sludge on the NG900&9-3 forum for more information
54.gif

I own two Saabs, but no convertibles. I "believe" the 2003 9-3 convertible used the same Saab engine as my 9-5, just slightly less displacement at 2.0 litres.

This engine is prone to destruction by sludge. If the oil light is flickering the engine is already giving you it's death rattle! Drop the sump now, clean out all sludge, clean the oil pick-up screen, and pray!

You should run a 5W/40 synthetic oil in this engine. Mobil-1 5W/40 Turbo Diesel Truck and SUV is a great choice. So is Shell Rotella-T in 5W/40 weight, and at lower cost. Me, I run Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W/40 in my 9-5 with 255,000 miles on the odometer (Euro oil in my Euro car). 4 litre sump on this engine. 5K oil change intervals are also mandatory with this engine if you want it to last! For a filter I recommend the Purolator PL20195, or a Motorcraft FL400S for around $3 (if your friend doesn't mind having Ford Motor Company written on the filter) Both filters are significantly larger than the stock size, and you will need the extra capacity to grap the circulating sludge particles!

If I am wrong and this car uses the same 2.0 litre as the 9-3SS models of 2003, then you need 6-1/3 quarts of Mobil-1 0W/40. Maybe some oil-change Bozo only partially filled the sump, not realizing how much oil the engine requires. I run Total Quartz Energy 9000 in 0W/30 weight in my wife's 9-3SC as it is sold in 5 litre jugs and one litre bottles. The sump is 6 litres on this engine. The oil must meet the GM/Saab/Opel LL-A-025 spec, and Mobil-1 0W/40 is the only commonly available oil in the US with this endorsement.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Thanks for the quick replies.
I ended up using Mobil 1 0w40 with a Mahle filter.
I didn't drop the sump, but I borrowed an HSW Borescope, and looked at the sump through the drain plug hole and it was very clean with no sludge. I think that the oil light flicker yesterday was from the wrong oil, and the VERY HIGH temperature yesterday (102 degrees) From what I've read on the saab forums the oil pressure can drop dangerously low with a 30 wt at idle in hot weather. We had another hot day today (100 degrees) and no oil light since switching to the right grade oil, and a good filter. (I pulled off a Fram Tough Guard.)
The only other problem I encountered is that a regular M 14 drain plug gasket won't fit on the OE drain plug. The drain plug has a conical shape at the top that the gasket won't fit over.
No one around here has the right gasket and the closest saab dealer is 30 miles away. So I had to file out a Toyota fiber gasket to make it fit with a round file.
All is good now, Thanks Again.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back